I hate yellow traps

Started by traffic light guy, July 16, 2017, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

The flashing yellow arrow is too confusing, I wish states could go back to the old doghouse, which is waaayyyyy simpler. Where I'm at, in the Philadelphia area, they still have either normal left turn signals or doghouses, both are simple (Yellow arrow/green arrow) and are quick to get used to. Both the doghouses and the normal protected left turn signal became the PennDOT standard during the 1970s, and I don't want it to change!

MCRoads

I don't see how it is more complicated, it actually seems simpler:

When flashing

O
<-
O

shows, that just means

O
<- o
O  O

on a dighose
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

wanderer2575

What makes it more complicated, at least in my area, is that it appeared with no explanation and many drivers have no clue what it means.  Especially in my home county (Oakland County, MI), which loves to do leading lefts, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to sit through an extra cycle because the person in front of me remained behind the stop line, not understanding that the flashing yellow left arrow means you can pull forward and then complete your turn when traffic clears, same as before when there was no arrow at all.

epzik8

Good thing the flashing yellow arrow isn't in Maryland yet.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 16, 2017, 10:13:06 PM
The flashing yellow arrow is too confusing, I wish states could go back to the old doghouse, which is waaayyyyy simpler. Where I'm at, in the Philadelphia area, they still have either normal left turn signals or doghouses, both are simple (Yellow arrow/green arrow) and are quick to get used to. Both the doghouses and the normal protected left turn signal became the PennDOT standard during the 1970s, and I don't want it to change!

People probably said the same thing when doghouses were first being installed.

Everyone will get used to it.

Funny enough, I know the title is wrong, but flashing yellow arrows actually prevent yellow trap if used correctly.

jakeroot

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on July 17, 2017, 12:49:06 AM
Funny enough, I know the title is wrong, but flashing yellow arrows actually prevent yellow trap if used correctly.

Yeah, what's up with that? If he hates yellow traps, he should hate doghouses! Except in cases of railway and emergency service pre-emption, lead/lag doghouse signals are the reason that yellow trap is a thing.

traffic light guy, I understand that you like old traffic lights and standards, but times have changed. The doghouse proved itself to be an invaluable invention for many decades (and will continue to be useful for option lanes and right turn filters). But the FYA has been proven to not only be easier to understand, but safer (at least when they replace protected-only signals). They also provide a traffic engineer with greater control over the left turn phasing, allowing them to freely control when the FYA comes on, or if they want to implement lead/lag, but still allow permissive lefts.

By the way, what do you find confusing about the FYA? From what I recall reading, the FYA has time and time again proven to be easier to understand. A green orb can have two meanings (protected if going straight, un-protected if turning), whereas the FYA has only one (yield).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 01:14:22 AM

Yeah, what's up with that? If he hates yellow traps, he should hate doghouses! Except in cases of railway and emergency service pre-emption, lead/lag doghouse signals are the reason that yellow trap is a thing.

traffic light guy, I understand that you like old traffic lights and standards, but times have changed. The doghouse proved itself to be an invaluable invention for many decades (and will continue to be useful for option lanes and right turn filters). But the FYA has been proven to not only be easier to understand, but safer (at least when they replace protected-only signals). They also provide a traffic engineer with greater control over the left turn phasing, allowing them to freely control when the FYA comes on, or if they want to implement lead/lag, but still allow permissive lefts.

By the way, what do you find confusing about the FYA? From what I recall reading, the FYA has time and time again proven to be easier to understand. A green orb can have two meanings (protected if going straight, un-protected if turning), whereas the FYA has only one (yield).

Green does not mean protected if going straight.  A car from the opposing direction could be turning left (either on another green orb or a flashing yellow arrow).  A car could also be turning right on red on the cross street.  A solid green orb also permits right turns, which again aren't protected as there may be pedestrians crossing the street.

Jet380

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 17, 2017, 04:38:16 AM
Green does not mean protected if going straight.  A car from the opposing direction could be turning left (either on another green orb or a flashing yellow arrow).  A car could also be turning right on red on the cross street.  A solid green orb also permits right turns, which again aren't protected as there may be pedestrians crossing the street.

Well, it means 'protected' to the extent that any traffic signal can protect you. Which isn't very much in the grand scheme of things!

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 01:14:22 AM
A green orb can have two meanings (protected if going straight, un-protected if turning), whereas the FYA has only one (yield).

Green does not mean protected if going straight.  A car from the opposing direction could be turning left (either on another green orb or a flashing yellow arrow).  A car could also be turning right on red on the cross street.

You know I don't mean "protected" in the literal sense, Jeff. "Protected" meaning "priority over those who have not yet entered".

A solid green orb also permits right turns, which again aren't protected as there may be pedestrians crossing the street.

That's why I said "un-protected if turning". Left turns yield to cars and peds. Right turns yield to peds.

bzakharin

Yielding on left turn is the default behavior that everybody knows, regardless of whether there is a traffic light, doghouse, whatever. A red ball and/or left arrow serves to prevent left turns entirely. This is also an extension of regular rules for going straight. A green arrow means you don't have to yield (any more than you do in any situation). A flashing yellow arrow does not add any new information, and is therefore redundant (assuming there is a green ball concurrent with it).

The other situation I hate is when each direction has its own green, and it is therefore always safe to turn left without yielding, but there is no left arrow to tell you that it is safe.

Ian

Quote from: epzik8 on July 16, 2017, 11:38:11 PM

Yeah, but you have flashing red arrows, which is worse because you're required to come to a full stop.  :)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

ilpt4u

Quote from: epzik8 on July 16, 2017, 11:38:11 PM
I guess Peoria, IL was the first part of the state here to try out the Flashing Yellow. I lived there for a few months -- thought they were weird the first few times thru the intersections, but really, the local drivers end up treating it the same as a 5 Section Tower/Left Turn Yield on Green Ball phase, and I adjusted pretty quickly

That being said, I haven't noticed the Flashing Yellow (in IL) outside of the Peoria area. Southern IL, Northern IL, and East/Central IL, still seems to be using the 5 Section Towers. IL doesn't do Doghouses (typically).

Across the Mississippi in Cape Girardeau, MO, the Flashing Yellow has arrived

Mergingtraffic

It seems like engineers were bored and wanted to change a light scheme somehow and the FYA came into play.  LOL

When I see an arrow it means I have the right of way and a FYA could confuse people.  Usually a yellow arrow means my right of way to make a left turn is coming to an end.

Making it a FYA confuses people who may turn into traffic saying "hey I had the arrow." (even tho it was blinking)

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

traffic light guy

When doghouses were first being installed, they never made the news, unless I can fish the internet for some very very old broadcasts. Yellow traps are being shown at least a few times a year.

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 17, 2017, 09:40:10 PM

When doghouses were first being installed, they never made the news, unless I can fish the internet for some very very old broadcasts. Yellow traps are being shown at least a few times a year.

What does "yellow trap" mean to you? You seem to be using the term as a synonym for "flashing yellow arrow".

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 11:50:37 PM

What does "yellow trap" mean to you? You seem to be using the term as a synonym for "flashing yellow arrow".
Yes.

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 18, 2017, 01:18:12 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 11:50:37 PM

Yes.

Why? That's needlessly confusing.

Jet380

Quote from: bzakharin on July 17, 2017, 03:41:48 PM
A flashing yellow arrow does not add any new information, and is therefore redundant (assuming there is a green ball concurrent with it).

But it's not always redundant. How do you say "through traffic must stop but left turns may proceed after yielding" without an FYA or a convoluted programmable lens setup?

7/8

Quote from: Jet380 on July 18, 2017, 09:05:41 AM
A flashing yellow arrow does not add any new information, and is therefore redundant (assuming there is a green ball concurrent with it).

But it's not always redundant. How do you say "through traffic must stop but left turns may proceed after yielding" without an FYA or a convoluted programmable lens setup?

And this is why I wish we could have the FYA in Ontario. There's an intersection near my house that often gives the opposing direction a green ball and left arrow, even if no one is going straight or right. With a FYA, I could legally make a left turn. But with the current situation, I have to wait for the green ball to show on my side.

bzakharin

I cannot think of any situation when such a phase would be needed.
Quote from: 7/8 on July 18, 2017, 09:09:19 AM
And this is why I wish we could have the FYA in Ontario. There's an intersection near my house that often gives the opposing direction a green ball and left arrow, even if no one is going straight or right. With a FYA, I could legally make a left turn. But with the current situation, I have to wait for the green ball to show on my side.
In my area doghouses with left turn sensors are common. If both directions have left-turning vehicles then there is a left-only in both directions phase followed by a green ball in both directions. If only one direction has left-turning vehicles, that direction gets a green ball and left arrow, followed by a green ball in both directions. If there are no left turning vehicles, the green ball comes on right after red. I imagine this would work at your intersection assuming there is a dedicated left-turn lane.

doorknob60

Quote from: bzakharin on July 18, 2017, 11:33:45 AM

In my area doghouses with left turn sensors are common. If both directions have left-turning vehicles then there is a left-only in both directions phase followed by a green ball in both directions. If only one direction has left-turning vehicles, that direction gets a green ball and left arrow, followed by a green ball in both directions. If there are no left turning vehicles, the green ball comes on right after red. I imagine this would work at your intersection assuming there is a dedicated left-turn lane.

OK but then you have to wait longer, when there's no real reason why it's not safe to make the left turn (just you have a red ball, and no FYA). Might even have to wait a full cycle. I mean, technically, I could say "I cannot think of any situation when permissive lefts would be needed" because technically every intersection could use protected only. But that would be stupid. It's not needed, but it's definitely advantageous.

jeffandnicole

Are the lights offset (ie: NB first, then SB next)?  I don't see how a FYA would help here if you're not getting a green light to begin with.  Almost sounds like that direction is the default movement, and when traffic comes from the other directions, it trips the light to cycle.

vdeane

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 18, 2017, 01:08:57 PM

OK but then you have to wait longer, when there's no real reason why it's not safe to make the left turn (just you have a red ball, and no FYA). Might even have to wait a full cycle. I mean, technically, I could say "I cannot think of any situation when permissive lefts would be needed" because technically every intersection could use protected only. But that would be stupid. It's not needed, but it's definitely advantageous.
I personally have a hard time seeing how a permissive left gets treated any differently from a straight.  It just feels weird.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 17, 2017, 09:07:31 PM
It seems like engineers were bored and wanted to change a light scheme somehow and the FYA came into play.  LOL

When I see an arrow it means I have the right of way and a FYA could confuse people.  Usually a yellow arrow means my right of way to make a left turn is coming to an end.

Making it a FYA confuses people who may turn into traffic saying "hey I had the arrow." (even tho it was blinking)

Actually, a considerable amount of research and actual field evaluation (as opposed to relying on lab simulators) went into the FYA to demonstrate it actually provided a safety improvement BEFORE it went to interim approval and eventually became an MUTCD standard.  Unlike other things (cough - APL signs - cough) that somehow immediately went from a conceptual design to mandatory standard with limited development beforehand, and not even the benefit of an interim approval period to vet it in the field.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Revive 755

1) Certain preemption situations for traffic signals at railroad crossings and near fire stations

2) Coordination with protective-permissive lead-lag lefts

3) Locations with closely space intersections where it may be beneficial to stop traffic before it builds back into the first intersection - Example intersection in Illinois where this seems to be done

The flashing yellow arrow has more flexibility in signal head placement than using a visibility limited head via louvers or programmable sections, make it easier to provide redundant heads away from the turn lane (such as far left side heads) and is also easier to be used for span wire installations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.