News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What kind of traffic signal is this?

Started by ColossalBlocks, September 25, 2017, 08:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

I noticed this unusual beauty in House Springs, Missouri.

Anyone have any idea what it is?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Ian

They're called Electronic Steerable Beam (ESB) signals, and they were initially made by a company called Optisoft, then Intelight. The ESB heads were made to be the successor to the 3M and McCain brand programmable visibility (PV) signals, but Intelight discontinued them in 2015 to prioritize their controller and software markets.

Inside a standard ESB head, there is a tiny array of LEDs behind a Fresnel diffusing lens that can be programmed to steer the light toward a certain section of road using a wi-fi enabled PDA. The silver blocks you see on the backs of the signals are aluminum heat sinks attached to the rear of the LEDs that dissipate heat to the outside of the signal, which improves the life of all of the electronics inside. With the old PV signals, an electrician had to manually tape the inside of the heads to block off light from being seen at unwanted vantage points, so this saves on labor.

Another cool feature to these signals, is that they're equipped with built-in 4-way video cameras for traffic surveillance. It can take real time images as well as store colored and black/white images through its network. You can read more about them here: http://www.signalcontrol.com/products/intelight/intelight_electronic_steerable_beam_signal_head.pdf
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jakeroot

Wow! Very cool signal! Too bad they aren't making them anymore. I imagine they cost a lot more than a standard signal. Hopefully one day some company will pick up the patent (assuming there is one) and continue making them.

MNHighwayMan

So I recently saw these at the intersection of Minnehaha Ave and E 7th St in Saint Paul. I meant to post pretty much this exact thread (and then never got around to it) so it's neat to see this posted.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Ian on September 25, 2017, 10:33:30 PM
They're called Electronic Steerable Beam (ESB) signals, and they were initially made by a company called Optisoft, then Intelight. The ESB heads were made to be the successor to the 3M and McCain brand programmable visibility (PV) signals, but Intelight discontinued them in 2015 to prioritize their controller and software markets.

Inside a standard ESB head, there is a tiny array of LEDs behind a Fresnel diffusing lens that can be programmed to steer the light toward a certain section of road using a wi-fi enabled PDA. The silver blocks you see on the backs of the signals are aluminum heat sinks attached to the rear of the LEDs that dissipate heat to the outside of the signal, which improves the life of all of the electronics inside. With the old PV signals, an electrician had to manually tape the inside of the heads to block off light from being seen at unwanted vantage points, so this saves on labor.

Another cool feature to these signals, is that they're equipped with built-in 4-way video cameras for traffic surveillance. It can take real time images as well as store colored and black/white images through its network. You can read more about them here: http://www.signalcontrol.com/products/intelight/intelight_electronic_steerable_beam_signal_head.pdf

Wow, I didn't expect an answer like this, thanks.  :thumbsup:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

basilicon89

It has been a while since I logged onto this forum but I figured I would chime in on this thread.

I have one of these signals and they are cutting edge. I also have the serial kit to program it which I purchased new from Intelight a few years ago ($200). The signal itself came from a contractor who was scrapping it. Factory price for one of these signal heads was $2,300.

Here's a photo of mine:

Those curious on seeing the inside and how it can be programmed can view my video demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3OSn6tSVZ8

The Intelight head is a modified version of the OptiSoft signal head that was not programmable. Intelight discontinued the signal due to failing quality and a shift in focus to the controller and software systems market. From 2006-2012 they were manufactured completely in the US. From about 2012 until 2015 they were built up in the US but the components were made in China, likely by their joint venture. The last models were plagued by water intrusion which damaged the electronics. Prior to that it was a very durable, and heavy signal head

Bitmapped

PennDOT was crazy about the Intelight heads. They'd use them in downtowns (like along PA 21 in Waynesburg) where there was a signal every block or two and everyone else would just use standard heads.

jakeroot

Federal Way, WA installed quite a few of these for a while, although they used them at several intersections where I'm not sure it was necessary to limit the visibility of the signals.

All of their uses were flashing yellow arrows. Here's an image I took today. Note that tunnel visors are used, instead of the cutaway visors seen on all of the previous examples. Cutaway visors are very rare here in Washington, generally being used on signals with limited visibility features (except for these, obviously).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.