News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2016, 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: spooky on October 20, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
^^ Put the stop sign across the road and install a stop bar at the proper location.
Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 04:50:28 PM
That will work--if drivers see the STOP sign is located across the road.  It should be a fairly large STOP sign though.

The MUTCD specifically requires that a STOP sign be installed on the near side of the intersection on the right side of the approach.

Not always possible. So sometimes you have to improvise.

I think where it's shown here is better than across the street. Most people are accustomed to stopping at or just beyond the stop sign. Across the street is too far away. Plus, that homeowner would have a big metal octogan to look at all the time.

I've known a few stop signs to be a carlength or two back from the actual stopping point due to driveways and such.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on October 19, 2016, 06:04:30 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 03:59:13 PM
Unfortunately, because of the parking lot, that is the closest the STOP sign could be placed--unless a small island could be built for a STOP sign in the parking lot nearer to the intersection.  As it currently is, this placement cannot be helped.

Put the stop sign across the road and install a stop bar at the proper location.

That will work--if drivers see the STOP sign is located across the road.  It should be a fairly large STOP sign though.

If not, a small island could still be constructed between the two lanes of travel, something like this (just between two directions, instead of one):

That kind of setup wouldn't last one month in that location.  The route sees heavy use by coal and gravel trucks as well as school buses, and both roads are simple two-lanes.  Wide turns are common and often necessary.  The adjacent property, however, is pretty insignificant, so I wonder why the city couldn't just curb a sliver of the parking lot and install a stop sign where it ought to go.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2016, 02:46:50 PM
That kind of setup wouldn't last one month in that location.  The route sees heavy use by coal and gravel trucks as well as school buses, and both roads are simple two-lanes.  Wide turns are common and often necessary.  The adjacent property, however, is pretty insignificant, so I wonder why the city couldn't just curb a sliver of the parking lot and install a stop sign where it ought to go.

Very well. I would agree then that the best proposal would be to post the sign off to the right. Better yet, pave the road, put down a stop line (plus the word STOP just before the line), and install an overhead flashing red beacon.

jeffandnicole

What's wrong with the current location?  This issue wasn't even known to most of us till now...and now we're proposing a slew of corrections to a problem that never existed?

kphoger

Have you mapped Joppa, IL?  It's not even a state highway.  How many of us on the board had even heard of the town before I brought it up?

What's wrong with the current placement is that state laws sets the stopping point (in absence of a painted line) adjacent to the stop sign itself.  Legitimately stopping at that point is likely to get you rear-ended or possibly ticketed for 'running' the stop sign at the actual intersection.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2016, 02:46:50 PM

There's this little thing called right of way. If the agency that owns the road doesn't own the property, it can't install anything on it unless it buys the property or gets an easement.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2016, 03:08:05 PM
What's wrong with the current location?  This issue wasn't even known to most of us till now...and now we're proposing a slew of corrections to a problem that never existed?
You have to like the way many of us jump on something that...

a.  we cannot actually fix
      b.  we believe we have the definitive answer to
      c.  acts as if it affects us--even if we have never been to a certain place

I am guilty of this myself--but if we did not have opinions and suggestions, this would be one boring forum.  :colorful:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Been wanting to post this one for a while, but I hadn't been in the I-395 HOV lanes heading into DC for some time now. Veterans' Day, when HOV isn't in effect, finally allowed an opportunity. The dashcam makes this sign somewhat easier to see than it actually is when you're driving and paying attention to the road.

https://youtu.be/7_0ZEyJqI6g
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

peterj920

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2016, 05:03:37 PM
Been wanting to post this one for a while, but I hadn't been in the I-395 HOV lanes heading into DC for some time now. Veterans' Day, when HOV isn't in effect, finally allowed an opportunity. The dashcam makes this sign somewhat easier to see than it actually is when you're driving and paying attention to the road.

https://youtu.be/7_0ZEyJqI6g
Large overhead signs immediately behind overpasses - always a bad idea. 
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ukfan758

I-65 South in Louisville crossing the Ohio River.
IMG_6629 by paulthemapguy, on Flickr

amroad17

^ Really cannot be helped.  Besides, this is the way the signs were on the Kennedy Bridge before the Lincoln Bridge was built.

I'm sorry.  These signs are on the Kennedy Bridge.  I did not realize the Lincoln Bridge was open (no trusses) until a few days after posting this.  OOPS.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

freebrickproductions

Spotted this today in Athens, AL:
Overlapping signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

In western Franklin County, on northbound Darby Creek Dr between Old Kropp Rd and Alkire Rd, there's a railroad crossing and a bike trail crossing at basically the same spot.  Approaching that spot, for several seconds, the "bike crossing ahead" warning sign obscures the stop sign that was recently added to the railroad crossbuck.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brian556

These are on US 75 in and north of McKinney TX

This one is actually within the paved freeway shoulder:

NB Frontage Rd at FM 543/ SPUR 195:

WB Melissa Rd. I don't think I've ever seen a stop sign that far to the right. The JCT sign is too close to the intersection:

SignGeek101

Putting an exit sign in the median for a right exit is poor sign placement if you ask me:

https://goo.gl/maps/sz2ViZriMuq

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 17, 2017, 01:32:26 AM
Putting an exit sign in the median for a right exit is poor sign placement if you ask me:

IMO, the stop sign up the ramp is just as guilty of being "poorly placed"...who the F are we stopping for?

https://goo.gl/PZFdqS

thenetwork

Not if a wall of rock limits sign width.  That being said, though, an overhead gantry would work.

And then there is the issue of the white-on-GREEN Hospital sign.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 01:35:59 AM

IMO, the stop sign up the ramp is just as guilty of being "poorly placed"...who the F are we stopping for?

https://goo.gl/PZFdqS
Looks like there was originally meant to be an intersection there, especially with this un-used road on the one leg:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.8120658,-69.5341205,3a,74.7y,86.03h,83.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfWbv0tByr_EaFei_w7kOhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on July 17, 2017, 10:02:17 AM
And then there is the issue of the white-on-GREEN Hospital sign.

That's the official Canadian symbol.

Example from BC: https://goo.gl/EDH3rv

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 17, 2017, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2017, 01:35:59 AM

Looks like there was originally meant to be an intersection there, especially with this un-used road on the one leg:

Yeah, definitely. I'm just surprised that they kept up/put up the stop sign (not sure if the unused road was ever used). It conflicts with the road markings, which suggest a continuous movement.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jakeroot

When this left turn onto I-90 near Seattle was replaced with a roundabout, the placement of this overhead guide sign became poor...

https://goo.gl/fttQkx

1995hoo

The stop sign in front of the Wal-Mart here in Kingstowne is weirdly placed, to say the least.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 30, 2017, 07:27:22 PM
The stop sign in front of the Wal-Mart here in Kingstowne is weirdly placed, to say the least.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/22675ea80e03e3922b84ede530762e81.jpg

I think a good substitute for that salad would be the R1-5c sign, because as you are alluding to, that stop sign is way too far up the pole to be effective.

Scott5114

Walmart does weird traffic control all the time. I seem to recall the Walmarts nearby having a similar setup, with the stop sign on the bottom. Which is still against the MUTCD, since it says stop signs can't share a pole with any other sort of sign (excepting street name signs). And then YIELD is painted on the asphalt...

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.