News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rivers be floodin' in the Boonies...

Started by Billy F 1988, May 27, 2014, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

BTW, I have returned and it's been a while. Too long for that matter.

Anyhow, I'm just checking up on a few trending topics. Things are going good in Montana, although the Bitterroot River is quite high this year. We got dumped with some extra snow in February and the sunlight and warm temperatures with rainstorms mixed in here and there are making them higher towards flood stage. The Clark Fork River is near flood stage, the Bitterroot is right at or slightly above flood stage just by how close to the road it is. Other than that, all seems well in Missoula.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Zeffy

Welcome back!  :sombrero:

Many of the rivers near the towns I live by (I.E. Manville) were flooded a month or so ago in a weekend full of rain. Plus, my family was considering moving to Manville if our landlord doesn't lower our damn rent since my mother moved out!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

corco

Yup, I work upstream in (among many other things) the floodplain management office and I'm on my area's Emergency Preparedness Committee as the resident guy who makes maps. Word is the Blackfoot is getting really high too up where 141 meets 200 (jumping curves, going straight where it normally bends), and we're getting ready for the possibility of another creek flood here. There's supposedly still 60 inches of snow in the mountains- at this point it's melting gradually enough that the waters will stay high but we have nothing to worry about, but if there's a big rain event (hello, clouds in the sky right now) that causes that stuff to melt faster things could get ugly. We gave out sandbags a couple weeks ago to area residents just in case. I was out looking at the Clark Fork up here earlier today- this far upstream it's moving really quickly, but is still at a fine capacity. I can see why Missoula would have cause for alarm since you guys get all the water from the Clark Fork, Blackfoot, and Little Blackfoot rivers. The Little Blackfoot at least up by Elliston is high right now, but probably fine.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Zeffy on May 27, 2014, 05:03:04 PM
Many of the rivers near the towns I live by (I.E. Manville) were flooded a month or so ago in a weekend full of rain. Plus, my family was considering moving to Manville if our landlord doesn't lower our damn rent since my mother moved out!

You don't want to live in Manville.....

Jardine

I had a front row seat for the Iowa/Nebraska portion of the Missouri flooding in 2011 and my thoughts are with anyone going through more flooding.

Our area has bounced back 99% and you have to hunt for reminders (except dead trees).  I know where there is a pile of sand bags still not picked up, LOL!!

Billy F 1988

Quote from: corco on May 27, 2014, 07:38:58 PM
Yup, I work upstream in (among many other things) the floodplain management office and I'm on my area's Emergency Preparedness Committee as the resident guy who makes maps. Word is the Blackfoot is getting really high too up where 141 meets 200 (jumping curves, going straight where it normally bends), and we're getting ready for the possibility of another creek flood here. There's supposedly still 60 inches of snow in the mountains- at this point it's melting gradually enough that the waters will stay high but we have nothing to worry about, but if there's a big rain event (hello, clouds in the sky right now) that causes that stuff to melt faster things could get ugly. We gave out sandbags a couple weeks ago to area residents just in case. I was out looking at the Clark Fork up here earlier today- this far upstream it's moving really quickly, but is still at a fine capacity. I can see why Missoula would have cause for alarm since you guys get all the water from the Clark Fork, Blackfoot, and Little Blackfoot rivers. The Little Blackfoot at least up by Elliston is high right now, but probably fine.

It's pretty fortunate I'm not nearby the Blackfoot. I'm south of the Clark Fork River going from the bridge before Russell Street meets up with Interstate 90 Business at West Broadway Street southward to 34th Street, but boy they're getting plenty frisky and there is no way anyone's going fishing, boating, or swimming. Impossible to do anyhow due to the nature of the currents, and debris underneath the water.  Just today, I went by MacClay Flats walking up the 1.25 mile trail and parts of it is flooded. Right where you turn the corner past the bench on the main traiil, it's really messy; there's about two feet of water from two weeks ago where it was just a small puddle. That gives you a pretty good idea as to how high the Bitterroot River was and still is. It's so high, it's really smack dab close to Blue Mountain Road and Big Flat Road before the one-way bridge.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 27, 2014, 07:55:35 PM
You don't want to live in Manville.....

Manville's bad? I know a lot of white trash live there or something, but the worst I heard was property crime was kind of high in some neighborhoods. Either that or we find a new house in Hillsborough that isn't bawls expensive.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.