News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

Started by Revive 755, June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 14, 2023, 10:19:54 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 08, 2023, 11:41:51 PMItem 164 reconstructs the I-39 interchange with US 20/Harrison Avenue

I don't see any plans for this yet--does anyone know if the interchange is going to be reconfigured from a cloverleaf?

IIRC it was supposed to become a DDI.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 09, 2023, 02:42:49 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 08, 2023, 11:41:51 PM
Item 156 reconstructs West College Avenue in Normal from "US 150/Rivian Motorway to west of the Norfolk Southern Railroad"

There will be a rubblized section on much of this one, with an asphalt overlay. New sidewalk on south side and multi-use trail on the north side. There are also a few intersection improvements at the Rivian (former Diamond Star/Mitsubishi) auto plant.

As a side note, Rivian got a large order from AT&T for electric service vans yesterday. Expect more trucks coming through here.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 14, 2023, 10:19:54 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 08, 2023, 11:41:51 PMItem 164 reconstructs the I-39 interchange with US 20/Harrison Avenue

I don't see any plans for this yet--does anyone know if the interchange is going to be reconfigured from a cloverleaf?

Plans are still not up but I certainly hope so. A DDI might be appropriate there.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

cwm1276

CtrlAltDel

I noticed that at the western I-39/US-20 interchange that there are signs of former loop ramps, but looking at Historical Aerials and Google Earth, I can't see what they might have been for. It looks like there was a cloverleaf there that was removed, but the road main north-south road that it would have been a cloverleaf for never seems to have been built. Does anyone know?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

The Ghostbuster

This website gives some information about the canceled Raoul Wallenberg Expressway (formerly called the Woodruff Expressway): https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/2907254. There is also a AAROADS Forum thread with posts from 2015-2017 that gives more information about the canceled expressway: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14485.0.

Big John

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 21, 2023, 01:09:50 PM
I noticed that at the western I-39/US-20 interchange that there are signs of former loop ramps, but looking at Historical Aerials and Google Earth, I can't see what they might have been for. It looks like there was a cloverleaf there that was removed, but the road main north-south road that it would have been a cloverleaf for never seems to have been built. Does anyone know?

The freeway was planned to go north of US 20, but was never built.  It was graded though to put in the ramps at a future date.

edwaleni

Too funny. The referenced article on the Woodruff Expressway calls the rail line the "Galena & Chicago Union RR".

While that was it original name when it was built from Chicago to Freeport, Illinois in 1850, by 1864 it was called the Chicago & Northwestern.  In 1996 it became the Union Pacific.

Good thing the expressway didnt take out the railroad, because Illinois just announced new Metra commuter service from Chicago to downtown Rockford earlier this year using the same line.

But it will take millions and a few years to fix it past the Stellantis Belvidere Assembly Plant. That was just closed by Stellantis this year and they are wrangling with Illinois to get a handout to turn it into an EV factory.

Doesn't include all the new stations that will be built. Illinois would like to use it to extend Amtrak to Dubuque, Iowa, but it seems CN isn't interested.

If you go look up the comments on US-20 in Illinois here on AARoads you will see why people in Iowa prefer Amtrak.  But I digress. Back to bidding.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 21, 2023, 03:56:31 PM
This website gives some information about the canceled Raoul Wallenberg Expressway (formerly called the Woodruff Expressway): https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/2907254. There is also a AAROADS Forum thread with posts from 2015-2017 that gives more information about the canceled expressway: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14485.0.

Thanks to you, BigJohn, and edwaleni for the details.

I was thinking that the interchange was a trumpet that got revamped, but the layout of the loops made no sense.

In any case, I believe the following are the germane posts from the earlier thread.

Quote from: ET21 on January 17, 2015, 02:35:42 PM
In your research, did you find out about the ghost ramp elevations at the I-39/US-51/US-20 interchange in Rockford? I always see what looks like a cloverleaf ramp elevation from east US-20 to the west US-20 ramp from northbound I-39/US-51  :hmmm:

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 17, 2015, 03:31:20 PM
If I recall, the freeway was to extend north from US-20 into the city of Rockford. That section was canceled, but not before the ramps were graded.

Quote from: I-39 on January 17, 2015, 05:16:14 PM
The ghost ramps at the I-39/U.S 20 interchange in Rockford was preparation for the never built Woodruff Expressway, which was a crosstown highway proposed to lead commercial traffic back into downtown Rockford, since all of the traffic was heading east along the I-90/Northwest (Jane Addams) Tollway. It was to be built on the old RR ROW from the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad. It was ultimately cancelled due to high opposition (not really needed if you ask me).

There was a proposal to reconstruct the I-39/U.S 20 interchange as well as the U.S 20 Harrison Avenue interchange, but that has mysteriously been taken off the IDOT website within the last year. Does anyone know what happened there?

I am primarily interested as to why the U.S 51 corridor was not built as a Interstate-grade highway south of Bloomington-Normal. I'd argue that this was probably one of the biggest mistakes IDOT made in the last half-century (right up there with not building the full Route 53 extension)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

The Ghostbuster

I always thought that the western Interstate 39/US 20/US 51 interchange took up more land than it should have, given the unconstructed nature of the RWE. Hopefully, when the interchange is reconstructed, it becomes a more compact system interchange.

cwm1276

That interchange is not getting much smaller. 

NB 39 will move west closer the left side ramp to WB 20, but it is being widened to 2 lanes. 

SB 39 actually needed a little additional space as it moves slightly west to have 2 high speed lanes south from 20 WB.

Linden Road just south of 20 makes the ramps a bit more complicated as well.

Revive 755

List of projects for the March 8, 2024 Letting is up.

• The I-64 Wabash River Bridge replacement is finally taking bids but is still Item 1X

• Item 24 is intersection improvements for US 41 at Stearns School Road in Lake County

• Item 25 is some sort of safety/reconstruction project on US 20 around Barge Terminal Road and Fentress Road near East Dubuque

• Item 73 is a traffic signal modernization project for a few locations on IL 3 and IL 203 in St. Clair and Madison Counties

• Item 104 is reconstruction of the US 12-US 20 interchange with IL 43.  The pay item listings suggest it's getting signals

• Item 105 is an intersection improvement for IL 43 at 22nd Street/Cermak Road

• Item 118 is a re-posting of the joint repairs and deck overlay for I-55 over the Des Plaines River near Joliet

• Item 132 is a widening a reconstruction of McLean Boulevard in South Elgin from Spring Street to Stearns Road

• Item 154 is a repost of the West College Avenue reconstruction in Normal

• Item 164 is reconstruction of the two IL 47/IL 176 intersections and widening of the IL 47/IL 176 overlap

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 02, 2024, 10:01:56 PM

• The I-64 Wabash River Bridge replacement is finally taking bids but is still Item 1X

That was fast. It was just assessed last year. It is functionally obsolete, but I don't think it is at any immediate risk at the moment.

Look for a traditional concrete pylon structure with pre-stressed concrete beams. Since the river has been struck from the federal record for navigation since 1963 no need for a high and wide center span.

edwaleni

Quote from: edwaleni on February 02, 2024, 11:21:50 PM

That was fast. It was just assessed last year. It is functionally obsolete, but I don't think it is at any immediate risk at the moment.

Look for a traditional concrete pylon structure with pre-stressed concrete beams. Since the river has been struck from the federal record for navigation since 1963 no need for a high and wide center span.

An article from 2013!!

QuotePOSEYVILLE, Ind. — Erosion along the Wabash River has led to plans for replacing the Interstate 64 bridges linking southern Indiana and Illinois within the next few years.

Officials say the two bridges are less than 50 years old but that erosion around the bridge piers has accelerated with changes in the river's flow since 1985.

The Evansville Courier & Press reports that the Illinois Department of Transportation this year completed $2.5 million in emergency repairs on the I-64 bridge piers.

The estimated $71 million bridges replacement is included in the Illinois highway department's 2015-2019 projects plan. Illinois and Indiana will share the project cost, with Illinois overseeing the work.

Indiana highway agency spokeswoman Cher Elliott says money is budgeted for Indiana's share.

Interesting because it is same phenomena that caused the nearby Illinois Central railroad span to collapse.

ET21

• Item 104 is reconstruction of the US 12-US 20 interchange with IL 43.  The pay item listings suggest it's getting signals

Craters have begun to form on 95th Street  :ded:[/list]
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ET21 on February 08, 2024, 11:55:35 AM

Craters have begun to form on 95th Street  :ded:

The interchange will be what I call a "direction-favoring parclo"...it's a west-oriented parclo where ramps to/from the west are directional, but one ramp is provided to/from the east that will meet Harlem at grade.  The two cloverleaves on the west side are being eliminated. The alignment/tie/benchmark sheet helps elucidate this.

It will be a similar configuration to what they did at I-88 and Farnsworth, but a mirror image of it.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Revive 755

List of Projects is up for the April 26, 2024 Letting

• Item 7 is a reconstruction of Gary Avenue from Harrison Avenue to Jewel Road in Wheaton
  • Item 8 is a resurfacing with signal modifications on Main Street in Downers Grove from Sherman Road to Franklin Street
  • Item 12 is signal modifications on Virginia Road in McHenry County, possibly another flashing yellow arrow project given the number of 4-section heads liste.
  • Item 15 replaces sound walls along the IL 53 spur between IL 68 and Lake Cook Road
  • Item 19 is bridge repairs for US 20 at the end of IL 390
  • Item 25 is for safety improvements on US 20 just west of the Elgin bypass
  • Item 61 replaces the signal mast arms at the IL 1 intersection with US 24 in Watseka
  • Item 74 is signal mast arm replacement at the IL 98 interchange with I-155
  • Item 75 replaces the traffic signal mast arms at the IL 29/Cedar Hills Drive intersection in Peoria County
  • Item 85 is bridge repairs for I-55 over IL 104
  • Item 88 is resurfacing on IL 4 in Girard with sidewalk work and adding parking lanes
  • Item 91 resurfacing I-55 from near the Farmersville interchange to south of the Sangamon County line
  • Item 121 is lighting work on I-55 from the PSB to the I-64 interchange
  • Item 127 is more lighting work "along I-55/I-64/I-70"
  • Item 135 is video detection replacement in the Collinsville District
  • Item 137:  "Demolition of buildings along Old IL 3 (South Main Street) near Imbs Station Road in Dupo."  Possibly an advance contract for the Imbs Station Road/Davis Ferry Street interchange?
  • Item 138 is traffic signal modernization for a few intersections in Madison and St. Clair Counties
  • Item 139 appears to be bridge approach repairs near the northern end of IL 255
  • Item 173 is a streetscape project on West State Street in Jacksonville
  • Item 182 appears to be reconstruction on Richards Street north of I-80 in Joliet, along with repairs to the I-80 bridges over the Des Plaines
  • Item 183 is some sort of improvement project on IL 43 in Bridgeview with signal work and ADA work
  • Item 187 is intersection work for IL 83 at Bluff Road
  • Item 188 is pavement reconstruction along with sidewalk and pedestrian signal work around the northern end of Dirksen Parkway in Springfield
  • Item 189 (already deleted) would have been bridge substructure work for Dirksen Parkway over the railroad tracks south of Sangamon Avenue
  • Item 190 is another rebid of resurfacing and other improvements for Business 55 from Stanford to Myrtle in Springfield
  • Item 195 is bridge work for IL 83 over I-88
  • Item 198 is bridge work for I-55 over the Sangamon River
  • Item 204 reconstructs the Bell Road intersection with 143rd Street in Will County
  • Item 205 is the 143rd Street extension between IL 59 and IL 126
  • Item 206 installs a roundabout at the Cedar Road - Haven Avenue intersections in New Lenox
  • Item 207 is a bridge replacement for Warrenville Road over the East Branch DuPage River in Lisle
  • Item 208 reconstructs Randall Road in McHenry County from Acorn Lane/Polaris Drive to Ackman Road
  • Item 210 appears to be an intersection improvement with a new traffic signal for Three Oaks Road at Lutter Road/Sands Road in Crystal Lake
  • Item 222 is a widening and reconstruction for IL 56 between IL 53 and I-355
  • Item 224 is bridge work for IL 59 over I-90
  • Item 231 is for traffic signal and ADA work at the IL 83/IL 1 intersection

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 22, 2024, 11:47:40 PM

This will also be for a re-routing of IL-126 off Main Street in Plainfield and onto 143rd Street and Wallin Drive (Lincoln Highway), IIRC.  Plainfield wants to downgrade Main Street to a local street there.  Makes a lot of sense as the Main Street/Lockport Street intersection isn't all that great: https://maps.app.goo.gl/7Cj6ub1EpWcBLmcAA

Street View from IL-126 wb: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5nWPkS1nHWHM34GJ6  Note that Lockport Street does not have stop signs here.

The location of the 143rd Street extension: https://maps.app.goo.gl/94MmVNKkortKPRis8  It's a utility corridor currently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

• Item 183 is some sort of improvement project on IL 43 in Bridgeview with signal work and ADA work

I wonder if that means they are going to do a big curb rebuild, lot of the sidewalks on that stretch through Bridgeview are very worn and this might finally be what is needed to redo them. Plus I'm sure they're going to be in collab with the crews resurfacing 79th St for all those curbs/ADAs
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

edwaleni

• Item 7 is a reconstruction of Gary Avenue from Harrison Avenue to Jewel Road in Wheaton

Too funny. This road, from Harrison Avenue to Jewell Road was paid for by then Wheaton resident Elbert Gary, the founder of US Steel. He donated it to the State of Illinois at the time, though I imagine DuPage County maintains it today.

It was a big deal back at the turn of the last century because this part of the road crosses Lincoln Marsh, essentially a swamp around Winfield Creek.  The City of Wheaton couldn't afford it at the time and the residents weren't interested because other than the Jewell Farm, it was all woods and farm land going north, but the "Judge" saw it different.  It was extended to Geneva Trail, (now Geneva Road), then to Army Trail (now Army Trail Road) and finally all the way to IL-390 when it was built.

His original mansion still sits on his namesake street in Wheaton.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2024, 08:16:06 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on March 22, 2024, 11:47:40 PMList of Projects is up for the April 26, 2024 Letting

This will also be for a re-routing of IL-126 off Main Street in Plainfield and onto 143rd Street and Wallin Drive (Lincoln Highway), IIRC.  Plainfield wants to downgrade Main Street to a local street there.  Makes a lot of sense as the Main Street/Lockport Street intersection isn't all that great: https://maps.app.goo.gl/7Cj6ub1EpWcBLmcAA

Street View from IL-126 wb: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5nWPkS1nHWHM34GJ6  Note that Lockport Street does not have stop signs here.

The location of the 143rd Street extension: https://maps.app.goo.gl/94MmVNKkortKPRis8  It's a utility corridor currently.

If I recall, wasn't this at one point the ROW that was for the now dead Fox Valley Expy? Or was that further north?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Hobart

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 22, 2024, 11:47:40 PMList of Projects is up for the April 26, 2024 Letting
  • Item 61 replaces the signal mast arms at the IL 1 intersection with US 24 in Watseka

I'm honestly quite sad to see these mast arms go; they're a few of the last remaining examples of the IDOT style trombone truss outside, especially outside of District 1.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2024, 01:10:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2024, 08:16:06 AM

If I recall, wasn't this at one point the ROW that was for the now dead Fox Valley Expy? Or was that further north?

A little further north.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rick Powell

This is what the 143rd Street plan from IL 59 to IL 126 looks like, from a public meeting https://www.plainfieldil.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/58/637375359891600000

IDOT is also working on a plan from the east end to I-55 to put in a fully directional interchange, as IL 126 currently only has access to and from the north.

Plainfield has another plan at the west end of 143rd to extend a road from where it currently ends at a commercial building to tie in to IL 126 at the south, somewhere east of Ridge Road, and to re-route IL 126 over the new connection and 143rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.