News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NE weather

Started by leroys73, December 21, 2012, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

Next summer I plan to take a trip from Dallas by motorcycle to Newfoundland and Labrador and back.  You Northeasterners, is the weather up your way somewhat stable in June, July, and August?  By stable I mean storms and temps.  Is one month better than the other?  September is a possible choice.  I am allowing at least three weeks. I drove up that way once 40 years ago by car in late July thru mid August but can't remember the weather very well.  Thanks

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

oscar

Quote from: leroys73 on December 21, 2012, 02:21:04 PM
Next summer I plan to take a trip from Dallas by motorcycle to Newfoundland and Labrador and back.  You Northeasterners, is the weather up your way somewhat stable in June, July, and August?  By stable I mean storms and temps.  Is one month better than the other?  September is a possible choice.  I am allowing at least three weeks. I drove up that way once 40 years ago by car in late July thru mid August but can't remember the weather very well.  Thanks

I'm a non-Northeasterner, but have passed through there twice in August on my way to Newfoundland island, and once continuing to the Labrador mainland.  The weather in the Northeast and the Maritimes was thoroughly unremarkable in August, except it included some decent beach weather in Halifax.

If you're planning on going all the way to Labrador, it's conditions up there that should drive your timing, rather than anything farther south.  Especially the biting black flies, which I found to be a real problem in late August, but I don't know how much less of a problem they are earlier in the summer. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

You'll probably get a lot of rain in June and possibly into July. Temps start dipping a bit in mid-August. Your best weather would be from about July 20 to August 11, if you can cherry-pick your 3 week window.

leroys73

Thanks
I'd like to avoid the flies if posible.  July 20 to around August 11 would be about right.  It gives me a break from the Texas heat. I am somewhat flexible. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

froggie

QuoteJuly 20 to around August 11

This also happens to be around peak tourist season in that area, at least on Prince Edward Island.  I'd advise booking your lodging early if you plan on going during that timeframe.

leroys73

Thanks for the heads up.
I would guess the campgrounds are busy also.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.