News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

It's 2014 and I still can't believe that.....

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 29, 2014, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

1) I-95 in the Bronx is still only 6-lanes east of the Major Deegan (I-87).

2) original signage still exists on the US-40/former I-170 in Baltimore.

3) I-95 is only 4-lanes in eastern CT and western RI.

4) I-710 still isn't completed.

5) I-95 has a loop ramp to stay on itself just south of Boston.

add yours to the list.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Zeffy

6) There isn't an interchange between the PA Turnpike and I-95 yet. (Oh they are working on it... slowly... surely... eventually it'll be done...)

7) The US 206 Bypass in Hillsborough isn't complete yet.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

8) Electric cars aren't common.

9) People still call I-95 "128".

9 3/4) I'm not a wizard yet.

10) Red light cameras and speed cameras still have errors.

11) FritzOwl's Interstate plan is not complete.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

adventurernumber1

12) The Atlanta outer beltway has no progress on it whatsoever (it's been a proposal for decades, and the Atlanta area is sprawling quickly. C'mon GDOT, at least work on the northern arc  :cool: )
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

algorerhythms

Arkansastravelguy

13) Breezwood still exists

14) There's an I-99 and it's not on the Delmarva peninsula

iPhone

1995hoo

16) Virginia's General Assembly agreed to allow 70-mph speed limits.

(16 rather than 15 to account for the duplicate 13s further up the thread)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Personally, I'd take doofy's #1 off the list.  Given the context and right-of-way constraints/costs, I can very much believe I-95 through the Bronx being just 6 lanes.

#13 (first one) for the WIN.

Gnutella

17. I-76 in Philadelphia and I-376 in Pittsburgh haven't at least had their interchanges redesigned.

18. GA 316 hasn't been upgraded to a limited-access highway.

19. I-5 in California, I-35 in Texas, I-70 in Missouri and I-85 in Georgia still have long segments of only four lanes.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mgk920

#8 I can believe.

18 - . . . the USA is still stuck 'popularly' using a mish-mash of measures that don't relate to each other and don't progress in powers of 10 (don't go from scale to scale by moving the decimal point).

19 - . . . the US 12 corridor is not the major route northwestward out of Chicagoland (towards Madison).

20 - . . . there is still not a complete free-flowing four-lane road corridor running southwestward out of NE Wisconsin.

21 - . . . the I-80/90/94 interchange in NW Indiana still uses the raggy old 'ticket' tollway interchange to make its turns.

Mike

NE2

Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2014, 08:22:05 PM
18  - the USA has not replaced the PLSS with a kilometer grid and moved all the roads to match.
Fixed for you.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pianocello

Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2014, 08:22:05 PM
21 - . . . the I-80/90/94 interchange in NW Indiana still uses the raggy old 'ticket' tollway interchange to make its turns.

Well, something's happening at that interchange. I'm not sure if they're improving geometry or just replacing a bridge, but there is currently no bridge on the ramp from the Chicago-bound Toll Road.

22- that the Interstate-to-Interstate connections at the northern end of I-65 require doing at least a 360

23- that the I-74/80/280 interchange in Colona, IL is still a cloverleaf

24- that the US 127 freeway north of Lansing, MI is still not complete.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Charles2

25) I-22 is still not complete between Birmingham and Memphis

26) There's still not a limited access highway leading towards Panama City

27) A viable solution for the gridlock and congestion on US 280 in Birmingham's south suburbs hasn't been developed and implemented

28) I-55 northbound still has that hairpin curve in Memphis

Ned Weasel

29) E-ZPass still isn't accepted west of the Mississippi River.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Pete from Boston

29½.  We still have little buildings in the middle of the road to collect tolls.

(number edited due to simultaneous post below)

Quote from: mgk920 on September 29, 2014, 08:22:05 PM18 - . . . the USA is still stuck 'popularly' using a mish-mash of measures that don't relate to each other and don't progress in powers of 10 (don't go from scale to scale by moving the decimal point).

I can't believe people want to replace a perfectly good binary system of linear measure at great cost when the market would have done so long ago were it practical.

Quote from: froggie on September 29, 2014, 05:42:26 PM
Personally, I'd take doofy's #1 off the list.  Given the context and right-of-way constraints/costs, I can very much believe I-95 through the Bronx being just 6 lanes.

I can't believe people in 2014 still think you can build any highway to any capacity in any surroundings.  This is a perfect example.  If you lived through a generation and counting of simply modernizing the BQE, you get some idea of the magnitude of rebuilding the Cross Bronx (never mind expanding it).

Quote#13 (first one) for the WIN.

Agree 100%.

rschen7754

NE2

Quote from: doofy103 on September 29, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
3) I-95 is only 4-lanes in eastern CT and western RI.
The I-95 corridor is mostly 10 lanes between New Haven and Boston - 6 for express traffic via Hartford and 4 for local traffic via Providence.

cl94

31) Most of the northeast uses sequential numbering
32) NY 17 exists north of Harriman
33) I-99 doesn't have a direct Interstate connection on either end
34) I-90 east of Cleveland remains under construction
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zzonkmiles

35. I-95 through South Carolina is still 4 lanes wide for almost the entire route.

36. There are still 55 mph speed limits in areas where traffic typically moves 15 mph faster than that.

37. I-485 around Charlotte is still not finished.

38. Gas is "cheap" if it's under $3.20 a gallon.

39. Left-lane hogs still exist.

40. I-26 in South Carolina has yet to be widened to 6 lanes.

Joe The Dragon

41 The skyway and IN tollway still have gates in the ETC only lanes even at the unnamed ramps.

cl94

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 29, 2014, 11:27:39 PM
41 The skyway and IN tollway still have gates in the ETC only lanes even at the unnamed ramps.

41.5) MTA facilities in New York still have gates in E-ZPass-only lanes, as does the Peace Bridge in Ontario
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pink Jazz

42. Some states still don't allow the installation of logo signs in urban areas despite the MUTCD including provisions for them since 2000.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cl94 on September 29, 2014, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 29, 2014, 11:27:39 PM

41.5) MTA facilities in New York still have gates in E-ZPass-only lanes, as does the Peace Bridge in Ontario

41.75) The Ohio Turnpike also does, if I recall correctly.

---

43) Plans to build I-73 outside of the Carolinas STILL haven't progressed.

OracleUsr

44.  I just lost THE GAME
45.  US 64 still exits to itself in Williamston (where US 13/17 split off)
46.  Any state uses Clearview
48.  That I skipped 47

47.  It's cheaper to fly out of RDU than PTI
49.  That signs in Greensboro now say PTI-GSO airport. 
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.