News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by seicer - Today at 09:55:17 AM
I interpreted this as a statement that the FHWA prohibited HAWK signals (pedestrian hybrid beacons) because they were dark unless activated.
Weather / Re: Severe Weather
Last post by NWI_Irish96 - Today at 09:41:10 AM
A rare high risk issued for today.

A live stream I recommend is https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHallYall

He does a great job at keeping people informed of impending danger.

Traffic Control / Re: Guess the exit number chal...
Last post by MATraveler128 - Today at 09:35:08 AM
Exit 10
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by MATraveler128 - Today at 09:31:53 AM
Today will be in the mid 70s and sunny after a chilly start to May.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 09:04:57 AM
Woke up this morning to some branches cracking in the back yard. Looks like we've received a 58 mph wind gust. Supposed to be like this most of the day.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 07:56:59 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2024, 10:06:48 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 05, 2024, 01:44:24 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 05, 2024, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: GaryV on May 05, 2024, 01:35:37 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 05, 2024, 08:59:52 AMAirbnb, I can't begin to guess what the cleaning fee will be

Don't they tell you the fee before you hit Submit?

That was how it worked in 2016, the last time I tried to use Airbnb.  (I was rejected by the hosts I picked out.)  The problem is that the cleaning charge is not included in the total charge in a way that allows potential Airbnb lodgings to be sorted on the basis of total cost per night.

Exactly. It's after clicking through. When I look at map view and I see 12 properties listed under $100, it's completely possible that zero of them will remain under $100 after cleaning fees. Or it's possible all of them will. It's a crapshoot.

Pfft.  In my experience, none of them will remain under $100.

I have been using AirBNB and Vrbo for years and any fees are detailed long before reserving. Is it annoying that fees aren't built into the pricing?  Yeah. But it's not some sort of surprise charge.

Never said it was a surprise, but when you're looking for a place to stay, you get 40 search results, and they all look like reasonable choices based on the thumbnails, map, etc., needing to click onto each property to get the total price is pretty annoying.
Weather / Re: Favorite Weather Informati...
Last post by gonealookin - Today at 08:38:49 AM
I like NOAA's GOES satellite imagery.  Index here:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php

Pick your region (would be GOES-East Southern Plains for DFW) and then under GeoColor I like the Animation Loop set to 24 images which is 2 hours worth.
Traffic Control / Re: Most absurd VMS messages
Last post by Big John - Today at 08:25:47 AM
Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 07:28:02 AMDoesn't the message also apply for dogs?
hence the screen name? :hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.