News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

It's definitely vandalism. OpenStreetMap shows "Let's Get Drunk" as part of Sanctuary Lakes Drive, while "Rob Me Blind" is unnamed.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: STLmapboy on April 18, 2021, 07:11:18 PM
I just realized Big Beaver Road is exit 69 off I-75 in Troy, MI. There are no accidents.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5590854,-83.1503436,3a,37.6y,288.01h,93.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj05h_aRz-v-Qecdjab4MTA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yes, my Dad thought that was hilarious every time we picked my half brother up on weekends back in the 1980s.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Cross-posting from the "Random Thoughts" thread:

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 10:59:27 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 10:40:07 AM
I always get a chuckle whenever I drive by this trailer park.  The term caudillo means, roughly, a military dictator.  Why someone thought that would be a great name for a neighborhood, I don't know.

Here's one worse (it's a street name, though, not a neighborhood).

One time in middle school, we had to create a fictional neighborhood for a project of some sort, and I picked a few random street names to use, this one among them. So of course, the teacher said "Um, you may want to pick another name"... so of course I looked it up the next chance I got, and was quite surprised and amused with my findings... LOL!!

JoePCool14

I found Peace & Quiet Road out in the very-much peace and quiet of northwestern Illinois along IL-73 last weekend. I managed to snap a photo but the glare didn't help.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GaryV

TheRhodeGeek

There's a street in a town in my home state named Stub Toe Ln. It may not as funny as others on this page, but it's something.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5801489,-71.2525612,3a,55.6y,153.66h,91.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s38EUzynRiMFPXd5uU_KKMQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Limon and Breezewood should not be control cities!

SD Mapman

Euskaldun Kalea, Buffalo, WY

Here

Large Basque population out there.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

CNGL-Leudimin

That sounds Northwest from me, but not that far Northwest (eventually turning Southwest due to Earth's shape).

Also, I see Mr. Google is redundantly calling it "Basque-speaking Street Street". The blade is correct.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

In Ocala, FL there is a street named Easy Street.  Obviously to encourage over achievement lol :nod: :biggrin:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

royo6022

2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

kphoger

Yeah, there are examples of Easy Street all over the place.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

royo6022

2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

webny99

Or a slight variant, Hard Road, which can be taken literally in a few different ways:

1) Hard to get to (no direct access to NY 104 to/from the east, requires using the service road)
2) Hard to drive due to poor pavement quality and/or ongoing construction (see here)
3) Hard to drive due to overcapacity and poorly timed signals (see here; you know it's bad when thru traffic defaults to the parallel road through the plaza)

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 07, 2023, 06:16:58 PM
Or a slight variant, Hard Road, which can be taken literally in a few different ways:

1) Hard to get to (no direct access to NY 104 to/from the east, requires using the service road)
2) Hard to drive due to poor pavement quality and/or ongoing construction (see here)
3) Hard to drive due to overcapacity and poorly timed signals (see here; you know it's bad when thru traffic defaults to the parallel road through the plaza)

I've also heard the term 'hard road' as simply a way of describing a paved road.  That is, one that isn't gravel (which is softer).  For example, the first time I had to get from Norris City to Akin (Illinois) as part of my delivery route, I misinterpreted one step of the directions someone had given me, so I ended up getting lost on the gravel roads of southwestern Hamilton County.  I had a trainee with me that day, and he expressed relief once we finally "got back on the hard roads", which in the moment simply meant an asphalt county road.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Skye

How about one set of parallel roads, Homer Ave & Simpson Ave in Cincinnati. Also, an intersection of Dean Rd & Winchester Rd in East Lyme, CT

US71

There's "No Name" street in Sallisaw, OK
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

algorerhythms

Quote from: Skye on March 26, 2023, 08:42:58 PM
How about one set of parallel roads, Homer Ave & Simpson Ave in Cincinnati. Also, an intersection of Dean Rd & Winchester Rd in East Lyme, CT

I recently learned there is an intersection between Roger St and Moore Ave in Kitchener, Ontario.

Henry

This intersection in Chicago gives off Christmas Vacation vibes, because there's a scene where Clark asks Aunt Bethany to bless the family dinner, and she replies: "Grace? She passed away 30 years ago!" If you saw the movie, you'll get the reference.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on March 27, 2023, 09:51:14 PM
This intersection in Chicago gives off Christmas Vacation vibes, because there's a scene where Clark asks Aunt Bethany to bless the family dinner, and she replies: "Grace? She passed away 30 years ago!" If you saw the movie, you'll get the reference.

That link goes to a map of about 7 mi² of Chicago's north side.
Male pronouns, please.

Henry

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: Henry on March 27, 2023, 09:51:14 PM

That link goes to a map of about 7 mi² of Chicago's north side.
Let's try it again, shall we?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jmd41280

I came across this one on OH 146 to the northwest of Zanesville...

Vroom(!) Road by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.