Policing/censorship outside the AA Roads Forum

Started by hbelkins, June 04, 2018, 01:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I was asked by the administrators to take down a Facebook post on my personal page under threat of removal from this forum. I have complied with this request, but under protest. I am also reserving the right to put the post back up, but with what was apparently the offending sentence removed, unless some unnamed administrator finds objection to that, at which point I would expect they would pipe up and say so. (See paragraph four for more.)

It's one thing to regulate content on this forum. There are a group of moderators who make these decisions, and I understand that although I do not always agree with their decisions. I have in the past inquired about joining that group and I would still like to serve in that capacity. And it should be noted that I didn't start any of this. Someone else did.

But I have to strenuously object to comments made outside of this forum being grounds for action within this forum, such as banning someone for something that didn't happen or wasn't said here.

This action was obviously prompted by someone on my Facebook "friends" list who is certainly not a friend, at least not by any definition I know of. All of my Facebook posts are limited to friends only, or certain subsets of friends. I rarely do a public post. I would appreciate if the person who did this would show me the courtesy of identifying themselves. It would be nice to know the identity of those who pretend to be friends but really aren't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

I will say that is crossing a line that should not be crossed.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: SectorZ on June 04, 2018, 01:53:02 PM
I will say that is crossing a line that should not be crossed.

Removing someone from AAROADS for saying something critical about AAROADS on Facebook?  Or Usenet or any other forum.

I agree -- that is crossing a line that should not be crossed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

HB should have been banned years ago for having repugnant beliefs. No comment on the current snowflaking.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on June 04, 2018, 04:41:39 PM
HB should have been banned years ago for having repugnant beliefs. No comment on the current snowflaking.

I disagree with him, too, but I don't think he should be banned.

Are you trying to intentionally lock the thread?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Just because someone disagrees with your worldview doesn't mean they should be banned. Your attitude towards everyone here is the only thing repugnant, and honestly does little to recruit people to your line of political thinking.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on June 04, 2018, 04:52:33 PM

Just because someone disagrees with your worldview doesn't mean they should be banned. Your attitude towards everyone here is the only thing repugnant, and honestly does little to recruit people to your line of political thinking.

Agreed. I would likely be turned away from NE2's beliefs if I was previously undecided.

NE2

Anyone who supports a piece of shit like Dump should be ostracized from everything but the KKK.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

I would agree that asking someone to remove something off of AARoads - with the threat of a ban, is uncalled for. Unless the post is intentionally damaging or malicious - such as calling for the destruction of someone's property over a post on AARoads, it would be crossing the line. In the years I've known HB, he has never posted anything malicious on his Facebook profile, partly because of his position. I would highly doubt there is any reason for any mod/admin on here to force HB to remove a post on his Facebook page.

Now if we are talking politics ;)

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on June 04, 2018, 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on June 04, 2018, 04:52:33 PM

Agreed. I would likely be turned away from NE2's beliefs if I was previously undecided.
I know I am. And for the record, I don't like Trump.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

I see nothing in the rules that would govern posts in other forums.  That being said, I'm going to reserve judgment since I have no idea what the offending statement was (and that is not an invitation for H. Belkins to post it here).

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on June 04, 2018, 04:57:57 PM
Anyone who supports a piece of shit like Dump should be ostracized from everything but the KKK.

So people should be discriminated against based on personal beliefs? That's what it seems like you're saying.

NE2

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Once again, we are delving into politics and personal attacks. If you have a problem with someone deal with them and stop airing your dirty laundry in public.  End of discussion. End of thread.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Moderation scope shall remain within the forum.  What is said in other media is not the staff and is out of scope of the moderation role. 

Locking as it has been driven to a point
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

For the record, I am the one who issued the warning, because warnings have been issued to everyone else OTHER than you so far for all of the personal attacks, in which you have participated equally. I apologize - I should have made the request to take down the post under a separate paragraph to make it clear that the ban was related to overall behavior, not the post in question.

Also for the record, I removed myself from your friends list some time ago because of the way you treat my actual friends bandit and bugo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.