Best “roller coaster” roads

Started by twinsfan87, March 21, 2021, 01:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skye

I-40 between I-81 in Tennessee and I-26 in North Carolina through the Great Smoky Mountains. Lots of curves, not a lot of ups and downs, but there are some steep ones at the start and end of the sections. Tunnels in both directions.

If you're just looking for frequent ups and downs (not many curves) I would suggest I-75 between Lexington and Knoxville.

kphoger

Quote from: Skye on April 02, 2021, 12:47:38 PM
not a lot of ups and downs

Sounds like a boring roller coaster.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

capt.ron

AR 16 just northwest of Searcy had a hill that me and a few family members and relatives called "thrill hill". Before ARDOT (then known as AHTD) realigned 16 and widened it, the hill in question was right after "4 mile hill" and featured a rather abrupt drop. If you timed it just right by laying on the gas and then letting off just before the drop, you would get nice negative G's. Some time in the late 1990's, the hill in question was flattened out and the road straightened.
"4 mile" hill got the same treatment due to it being rather unsafe.  You descended down and a sharp 90 degree curve (30 mph!!) to the left greeted you mid way in the hill. When they took out "thrill hill", the 4 mile hill was also realigned. Now, it's a gentle 45-50 mph curve to the left.

capt.ron

Quote from: keithvh on March 21, 2021, 10:34:03 PM
US-95 in California, from between the Nevada Border and I-40 ..... this should NOT be a roller-coaster.  It is fairly flat terrain in the desert.

But for whatever reason, California can't even grade the road straight, there are a number of swells and valleys.  And it's annoying, especially given the lack relative lack of shoulders and good degree of traffic on a 2-lane road.
I've driven that road before and it was highly unpleasant. To a person that is prone to car sickness, take that Dramamine! It's constant up-down up-down until you get to Nevada where the road is vastly superior!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: capt.ron on April 02, 2021, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: keithvh on March 21, 2021, 10:34:03 PM
US-95 in California, from between the Nevada Border and I-40 ..... this should NOT be a roller-coaster.  It is fairly flat terrain in the desert.

But for whatever reason, California can't even grade the road straight, there are a number of swells and valleys.  And it's annoying, especially given the lack relative lack of shoulders and good degree of traffic on a 2-lane road.
I've driven that road before and it was highly unpleasant. To a person that is prone to car sickness, take that Dramamine! It's constant up-down up-down until you get to Nevada where the road is vastly superior!

Those dips can be a lot of fun rolling along at 65 MPH.  I used to regularly take that route on the way from Parker to Laughlin. 

MCRoads

I think Roller Coaster Road in Colorado Springs wins. It might not have the most airtime, but it is the best "Roller Coaster Rd" ! /s

For real though, I think the best I've been on is UT-128, from I-70 to the Dewy Bridge. Lots of quick hills that make your stomach float. Great if you aren't carsick, but my sister is, so we had to stop for a bit to let the Dramamine kick in. South of the bridge, it goes into a canyon, which is fairly level, so the hills aren't as sudden.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

fillup420

jp the roadgeek

Deercliff Rd in Avon, CT.  Heads south from US 44 at the top of Avon Mountain (US 44 itself is quite the roller coaster west of there) through the woods and although many have been flattened from when I was a kid, there are still a couple of bumps on there that will let you hit the ceiling should you be riding without a seat belt at high speeds.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

Quote from: twinsfan87 on March 21, 2021, 01:30:34 PM
Hi everyone,

My kids love what we call "roller coaster"  roads... ones with sharp inclines/declines and plenty of curves. We are planning a road trip, and it got me to thinking about planning a slightly longer trip to get off the beaten path and have some fun on a hilly road or two. I didn't see any past topics on this, so I thought it would be fun to start one. What are your favorite roller coaster roads?

I'll start: my kids and I enjoy driving on Wisconsin Highway 65 between St Croix Falls and New Richmond, WI.

For that kind of a drive, WI 55 through the Menomonee Indian Reservation north of Shawano, WI, especially the part north of WI 47, can't be beat.

Mike

ErmineNotyours

Here's a road built over a landfill that has settled and is called a roller coaster:

Fix finally coming to Everett "˜roller-coaster' road

Bickendan

SE Jennings Ave, between OR 99E/SE McGloughlin Blvd and SE Webster Rd, Jennings Lodge and Gladstone
SE Thiessen Rd, between SE Oatfield Rd and SE Webster Rd, Oak Grove and Milwaukie
SE Hill Rd, between SE Oatfield Rd and SE Thiessen Rd, Oak Grove
NW Germantown Rd, between NW Skyline Rd and Byp US 30/NW Bridge Ave

doorknob60

I'm a fan of Cedar Point Dr in Sandusky, OH, but I don't think that's what you were looking for :-D

GSV

1200E in Lehi, UT is very steep (the sign said 16%) and kinda reminded me of a drop and camelback on a B&M Hyper or something. Street View doesn't really do it justice, looks a lot steeper in person. Also, I was kinda curious, so I coasted down the hill without brakes, and I hit like 55 MPH doing that, which is quite a lot considering I was going about 30 (the speed limit) at the top.

GSV

D-Dey65

Okay, I can't believe nobody else thought of this. Pasco County Road 41 and Hernando County Road 541 in West Central Florida.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.