News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When your GPS routes you through slower speed limits

Started by tolbs17, March 27, 2021, 01:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.0594399,-79.6171103/36.078026,-79.9554854/@36.0348264,-79.8330038,12.04z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Let's say we go from Durham to Winston-Salem. Should we use I-40 through Greensboro or use I-85/I-73? Well, I would go with I-85/I-73. It has more mileage, but speed limit is 70 there the whole time and a nice wide and clear highway. Don't always trust your GPS! There is signs saying use I-85/I-73 as an alternate route (incase I-40 through Greensboro is backed up), but I would use that route anytime i go from Durham to Winston-Salem.

I-95 through Petersburg and Richmond is another issue as well. Speed limits there are 55 and 65 mph while on I-295 it's 70 the whole way.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.1272568,-77.3581202/37.6928998,-77.4500107/@37.4231924,-77.3817456,10.67z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

I-295 ftw. Faster, less stressful and less likely to get speeding tickets.

GaryV

You can always make the Google Map Lady mad at you by taking your preferred route.  I have done that because I know the suggested route will be blocked up with traffic, and Google doesn't always compensate correctly for congestion.

Yet sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised at the route Google suggests.  I would have not thought of it, because I figured I pretty much knew where I was going; I was only using Google to track my progress.  Huh, there's a shorter or less time-consuming route.  Who'da thunk it?

Mr. Matté

1995hoo

Which way I go might depend on various factors. Assuming non-pandemic times, if I'm heading south through Richmond, for example, what day of the week it is and what time of day it is will matter–if I'm heading to Florida and I left home at 7:00 AM, I'll be reaching the Richmond area around 8:30 to 9:00. So I might be inclined to stay on I-95 due to a greater number of possible places to stop for breakfast in closer proximity to the highway than is the case on I-295 (although last time we took I-295 and stopped in Emporia instead). But if it's a weekday morning, I'll likely be inclined to avoid downtown traffic and I'll more likely take I-295 (cutting back over on VA-895 if I really want to stop). If I don't have any reason to stop, I'll almost always take I-295. Hopewell isn't an issue because I'm well aware it's there and I just set the cruise control, sometimes even at 68 mph to allow a little margin for error.

Then there are places like Jacksonville. I usually take I-295 around the east side because I like going over the Dames Point Bridge. The higher speed limit isn't a consideration.

Next time we pass through Wheeling, I want to take I-70, despite the much lower speed limit compared to I-470, because I haven't been that way before and I want to cross it off my list.

Long way of saying, the speed limit is not the only consideration.

(Edited to fix a typo and an autocorrect.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on March 27, 2021, 07:48:00 AM
You can always make the Google Map Lady mad at you by taking your preferred route.  I have done that because I know the suggested route will be blocked up with traffic, and Google doesn't always compensate correctly for congestion.

Yet sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised at the route Google suggests.  I would have not thought of it, because I figured I pretty much knew where I was going; I was only using Google to track my progress.  Huh, there's a shorter or less time-consuming route.  Who'da thunk it?
I had a problem like that in Ohio not too long ago. I was on I-75 and about to hit Bowling Green when Google Maps routed me right into a traffic jam that took 53 minutes to get through instead of telling me to get off at the exit before the backup and routing me around it. And like you I've just for the heck of it got a route on Google Maps and got a route that I would have never even thought about taking.

Another thing is I was in Ohio yesterday doing some county clinching and was down in the very southern part of the state in Lawrence County and Google Maps decides to route me along a dirt road that seemed like was taking me nowhere. It was Telegraph Hill Road off OH-93 and took me back into Gallia County in the Crown City Wildlife Area.

SkyPesos

Google Maps routed me through private roads at least 3 times in the past.

ozarkman417

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 27, 2021, 11:12:00 AM
Google Maps routed me through private roads at least 3 times in the past.
As a result of a bridge closure, Google once routed me through a private road, that, when entering a property, displayed this sign:

On the subject of speed limits, it wasn't safe to exceed more than 20mph or so on that road.

tolbs17

interstatefan990

Slightly off-topic, but I was recently driving in a shopping district where the road is too wide to turn left, and Apple Maps told me to turn left at multiple no-left-turn signs. I'm starting to think they don't factor regulatory signage into their directions, or they need to update their databases.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 27, 2021, 07:59:09 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 01:39:58 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopewell,_Virginia
Smaller town than Petersburg though and doesn't go directly through.
He's referring to the infamous speed trap the town sets up along the small sliver of interstate that passes through their city limits.

Either way, the speed limit is still 70 mph here, unlike the long 60 mph (should be 65 mph) slog south of Richmond then 55 mph in Petersburg. I'd much rather take I-295 driving 75-80 mph, clock it down to 72-73 through Hopewell, then bump it back up.

Besides, and I'm never going to risk it, but supposedly Hopewell has indicated in the past they will not stop someone unless they are exceeding 80 mph, and would not write reckless until over 85 mph (now, this was back when state law indicated reckless was over 80 mph, it's now 85 mph so that point is moot). Now, exceeding 80 mph on I-295 is quite easy, but knowing to slow it through Hopewell is not that hard either.

Usually, since I'm coming from I-64, I'll take I-295 anytime either heading to I-95 North or I-64 West, since it's usually faster overall. Plus unlike I-95 through Richmond south of the 64 overlap, not much exciting about I-64 through except painfully slow 55-60 mph limits on what still feels like a mostly rural highway (compared to I-295 which is rural highway and 70 mph) except the 95 overlap itself. I-295 / US-360 interchange has a number of restaurants, gas stations, and shopping that has been useful on many trips through the area.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 27, 2021, 07:59:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopewell,_Virginia
Smaller town than Petersburg though and doesn't go directly through.

VDOT has time estimates on both sides of I-295 and if it is not rush hour 95 is faster a lot of the time.

295 through Hopewell requires going the speed limit and no higher. Hopewell city law enforcement is extremely strict and vigilant with the added challenge that 295 bounces in and out of the city limits more than once.

Flint1979

From about mile marker 8 to the Appomattox River you don't want to be going over the speed limit on I-295.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 27, 2021, 12:25:50 PM
Besides, and I'm never going to risk it, but supposedly Hopewell has indicated in the past they will not stop someone unless they are exceeding 80 mph, and would not write reckless until over 85 mph (now, this was back when state law indicated reckless was over 80 mph, it's now 85 mph so that point is moot).

I remember when the Hopewell sheriff said that. My BS meter went off right away. If what he said was true, then Hopewell wouldn't have made national news, nor would their delegate have successfully fought to repeal the short-lived budget amendment that restricted how much ticket revenue local governments could keep after their speed trap revenue took a hit from that amendment. They don't bother hide it anymore.

https://www.progress-index.com/news/20161001/another-chance-for-hopewells-million-dollar-mile
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

On the other hand, Google Maps has made more people aware of some of my favorite shortcuts, and now they've become more trafficked.  At one particular location, the pavement has now fallen into poor condition.

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 12:21:18 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I was recently driving in a shopping district where the road is too wide to turn left, and Apple Maps told me to turn left at multiple no-left-turn signs. I'm starting to think they don't factor regulatory signage into their directions, or they need to update their databases.

Google would have to have (1) information about every location that prohibits a certain turn movement, and also (2) driving direction algorithms that can account for that information.  I'm not sure they have either.

this was back when state law indicated reckless was over 80 mph, it's now 85 mph

When did that change happen, by the way?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Once when I went to DC, Google recommended me to take PA 43/US 40/I-68 instead of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (both ends of that routing involved I-70). There were still tolls, because of PA 43, but it's mostly freeway and US 40 between Uniontown and I-68 is a surprisingly pleasant drive for a 2 lane road. Worth it to save some money from tolls, skip over the sub-standard sections of free I-70 in PA, and Breezewood.

Flint1979

About 7 or so years ago I was doing 83 in a 70 this was probably about a year before it was changed to 75. I saw two MSP cruisers sitting in the median just before the M-55 exit to go towards Houghton Lake. One of them pulls me over and said he had me at 83 in a 70 I said thats all I was going to him and he goes just slow down and have a nice day.

jeffandnicole

I-95 through Petersburg and Richmond is another issue as well. Speed limits there are 55 and 65 mph while on I-295 it's 70 the whole way.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.1272568,-77.3581202/37.6928998,-77.4500107/@37.4231924,-77.3817456,10.67z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

While it'll depend on when someone actually looks at this, at this very moment it's saying taking 95 is 1 minute faster and 4 miles slower.  It chose both the fastest and shortest way.  If you don't desire to go the fastest and slowest way, why bother using a GPS?

Now, from a practical standpoint - I do agree that 295 is a nicer route, but that's not what a GPS is looking for when guiding motorists thru an area.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 09:18:45 AM
this was back when state law indicated reckless was over 80 mph, it's now 85 mph

When did that change happen, by the way?

It was effective July 1, 2020. The statute (46.2-862) now provides that driving 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit or in excess of 85 mph regardless of the posted speed limit is grounds for a reckless driving ticket.

(Contrary to what many people think, that doesn't mean you can't be ticketed for reckless driving if you're not going that fast. There are 21 sections of the Virginia Code dealing with reckless or improper driving. Technically, failure to give a proper turn signal is grounds for a reckless driving ticket per 46.2-860, though I have no idea how often anyone ever gets a ticket for that sort of thing–I assume "not often at all" unless perhaps the person is also getting a ticket for something else at the same time.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

interstatefan990

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2021, 02:11:56 PMThere are 21 sections of the Virginia Code dealing with reckless or improper driving. Technically, failure to give a proper turn signal is grounds for a reckless driving ticket per 46.2-860, though I have no idea how often anyone ever gets a ticket for that sort of thing–I assume "not often at all" unless perhaps the person is also getting a ticket for something else at the same time.)

Same thing with going to jail for traffic infractions: some states include imprisonment (usually up to 15 or 30 days) in their statutes for offenses such as speeding or passing a stopped school bus, but you very rarely see that punishment actually get handed down to a violator, unless they were doing something really egregious.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 12:21:18 PM
I think Google Maps does indicate regulatory signage
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Roadgeekteen

Through Providence, GPS routes you on I-95 (speed limit 55) instead of I-295 (speed limit 65).
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 10:59:11 AM
Through Providence, GPS routes you on I-95 (speed limit 55) instead of I-295 (speed limit 65).

Probably because I-295 is quite a bit longer. If the two routes are very close in length, it will generally pick the one with the higher speed limit, such as I-495 over I-95 in Wilmington, DE.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2021, 11:11:26 AM

Probably because I-295 is quite a bit longer. If the two routes are very close in length, it will generally pick the one with the higher speed limit, such as I-495 over I-95 in Wilmington, DE.
The speed limit makes a difference as I-295 is only a couple minutes slower despite being much longer.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 11:14:12 AM

The speed limit makes a difference as I-295 is only a couple minutes slower despite being much longer.

Right now Google says 22 minutes for I-95 and 27 minutes for I-295.

The higher speed limit is enough to make it close, but not enough to make it the preferred route unless there's traffic on I-95.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2021, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 11:14:12 AM

Right now Google says 22 minutes for I-95 and 27 minutes for I-295.

The higher speed limit is enough to make it close, but not enough to make it the preferred route unless there's traffic on I-95.
Although I-295 might be more relaxing, but I'm just guessing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.