News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2 lane freeways

Started by ethanman62187, September 05, 2011, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

Some freeways in the world is where nobody uses. Are 2 lane freeways allowed to be there to replace the full freeway. Interchanges MUST be built. What's the speed limit? Is passing safe?
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

agentsteel53

for a while, the interstate standard allowed two-laners like this in very rural areas with low traffic counts.  I-95 in northern Maine comes to mind, as does I-70 across San Rafael Swell in Utah.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ethanman62187

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 05, 2011, 01:00:06 PM
for a while, the interstate standard allowed two-laners like this in very rural areas with low traffic counts.  I-95 in northern Maine comes to mind, as does I-70 across San Rafael Swell in Utah.

[img width=640 height=490]www.aaroads.com/shields/img/ME/ME19720951i1.jpg[/

Hey, in Franconia notch, nh, I93 is a 2 lane freeway with a speed limit of 45 mph.

1995hoo

Several of Nova Scotia's 100-series routes are of that sort. Some have interchanges, some don't (e.g., on NS-103 heading east from Yarmouth towards Shelburne and Liverpool, some of the crossroads have "exit" numbers even though they're not interchanges, whereas NS-101 has some interchanges on some of the two-lane portions). The speed limit on those is generally 100 and passing is usually perfectly safe.

The approaches to the Key Bridge on the Baltimore Beltway were two-lane roads for many years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

The current VA 262 freeway from US 250 southeast to US 11 is 2-laned.  No divided segments at the several interchanges the way US 1 south of Raleigh was for many years.

The US 58 freeway bypass of Franklin started out this way, too.

Mapmikey

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Sykotyk

US-36 between I believe Hiawatha and Wathena Kansas is a 2-lane freeway. Full exits for some stretches. The other carriage way is 'ready to go' whenever they want to grade and pave it.

PAHighways

US 220 between BUS US 220 and BUS US 30 in Bedford has passing zones and a 55 MPH limit, and at the other end of 220's path through Pennsylvania, the Towanda Bypass has passing zones, a 55 MPH limit, and full interchanges.

US 15's expressway sections from Williamsport north were like this before finally being upgraded to four lanes in anticipation of I-99.

cu2010

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
Several of Nova Scotia's 100-series routes are of that sort. Some have interchanges, some don't (e.g., on NS-103 heading east from Yarmouth towards Shelburne and Liverpool, some of the crossroads have "exit" numbers even though they're not interchanges, whereas NS-101 has some interchanges on some of the two-lane portions). The speed limit on those is generally 100 and passing is usually perfectly safe.
Portions of the Autoroute system in Quebec are also two-lane freeways (the recent A-50 extensions and A-55 come to mind).
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

mapman1071

Bethpage Parkway In Nassau County Is a Super-2 With 4 Interchanges (Exits B1 - B4) and Ends at a Traffic Circle (Unsigned Exit B5) at the entrance of Bethpage State Park.

ethanman62187

Well, there are 4 lane undivided freeways, too. An example of this is highway 27 north of highway 401 in Ontario is one.

InterstateNG

Quote from: ethanman62187 on September 09, 2011, 03:53:17 PM
Well, there are 4 lane undivided freeways, too. An example of this is highway 27 north of highway 401 in Ontario is one.

That's not a freeway.
I demand an apology.

vdeane

Sure looks like a freeway to me, south of ON 409.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

There are 4 lane undivided highways. 4 lane freeways have access control and some sort of divider,even though there may be no shoulders.
There is the 2 lane Chickasaw(sp?) Turnpike in Oklahoma. It is 2 lanes full acess control toll and as I recall connects at each end to a 4 lane divided. I think it carries 2500 vpd.
Is that Maine strech of 95 still 2 lanes?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 3467 on September 09, 2011, 10:32:47 PM
No, it's been 4 lanes, with median, for, at least, 20 years now.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ethanman62187

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 09, 2011, 11:47:58 PM

What is the speed limit for that?

ethanman62187

There are 4 lane undivided highways. 4 lane freeways have access control and some sort of divider,even though there may be no shoulders.
There is the 2 lane Chickasaw(sp?) Turnpike in Oklahoma. It is 2 lanes full acess control toll and as I recall connects at each end to a 4 lane divided. I think it carries 2500 vpd.

What is the speed limit on the Chickasaw Turnpike?

Ian

Quote from: ethanman62187 on September 10, 2011, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 09, 2011, 11:47:58 PM

What is the speed limit for that?

65 right now, but it may eventually be raised to 75.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

The bill raising it to 75 passed, if I recall correctly.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 10, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

It did, but it doesn't take effect until 90 days after the legislature adjourned (and I don't know when that was), and like many states' laws it doesn't require a 75-mph speed limit on that road, it merely allows such a limit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 10, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Wow it passed already?? Good for them!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vdeane

And thus Maine becomes the first state east of the Mississippi to allow 75mph speed limits.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: deanej on September 11, 2011, 12:57:03 PM
And thus Maine becomes the first state east of the Mississippi to allow 75mph speed limits.

I thought that distinction belonged to Louisiana (parts are east of the Mississippi).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ethanman62187

75 mph is safe on these type of roads.

DBrim

There are a few undivided 2 lane roads in New Brunswick with freeway intersections.  Speed limits are 110 km/h if I remember correctly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.