News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Slowing down to ridiculously slow speeds on an Interstate highway

Started by Flint1979, January 19, 2018, 01:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Heh.  I was putt-putting along on the Thruway in icy conditions a couple of weeks ago.  Kept in the right lane where slow traffic is supposed to be.

Some hot shot sped past me and instantly began fishtailing.  Almost hit me.  Putz. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I drive the speed that I'm comfortable driving for the most part. I feel that at 80 mph on an Interstate I'm going fast enough and don't need to go any faster usually. If there had been icy conditions or something else I would have indeed been going slower.

froggie

^ Better to be the one who's the slowpoke than the one in the ditch...

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on January 22, 2018, 01:01:29 PM

+1

I've noted before that I don't like driving on high-speed routes like interstates when there's snowy weather. Many drivers don't slow down to an appropriate speed for conditions, especially tractor-trailers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2018, 01:22:21 PM

+1

I've noted before that I don't like driving on high-speed routes like interstates when there's snowy weather. Many drivers don't slow down to an appropriate speed for conditions, especially tractor-trailers.

I'm not a huge fan of driving in snowy weather, period, both because of people who don't drive at appropriate speeds and because of people who refuse to use their headlights even when the snow is falling heavily.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: Rothman on January 21, 2018, 12:18:56 PM
Heh.  I was putt-putting along on the Thruway in icy conditions a couple of weeks ago.  Kept in the right lane where slow traffic is supposed to be.

Some hot shot sped past me and instantly began fishtailing.  Almost hit me.  Putz. :D
Reminds me of the time I was heading east from Scranton on I-84 in moderate to heavy rain.  I was doing about 45 in the right lane when an older Cadillac passed me going about 80.  About twenty miles later, a couple of state troopers and an ambulance passed me.  So, about two miles later, I come upon the same troopers and ambulance stopped in the left lane.  I also noted that same Cadillac that had passed me earlier, now sitting in a ditch off the left side of the road.  It had turned around 180 degrees, and had a splinter pattern in the windshield.

As the saying goes, slow and steady .....
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

It's understandable to slow down when the right lane is partially blocked.  One wide vehicle's driver decides to cut over to make sure not to hit the police car, drivers in the next lane slow to let them in.  Chain reaction ensues.

cl94

+1

Certainly. There are a few curves on I-87 north of Albany that have frequent accidents in the winter because people in SUVs think they're fine with 4WD. I have seen people blow past me and end up in a ditch a few miles up the road several times. You can drive in the snow with a normal car and all-season tires, just need to be careful.

At least around here, the Interstates are most likely to be clear, so speed on those is really only an issue while it's falling or if it's drifting. Now, what REALLY irks me is when the road is dry with a layer of salt and one person decides to go 30 because there's snow on the side of the road, slowing everyone down. Seen many near-accidents due to that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bzakharin

I-295 South in NJ between exit 32 and 26 will come to a complete stop from ~70 MPH for no apparent reason at least twice during a normal morning commute. There have been a lot of accidents on this stretch because of this. (during an abnormal morning commute the entire stretch may be at a standstill). As for cops, I *will* slow down to the speed limit (not below) if I see a cop stopped in the shoulder (or right lane or whatever) from far enough away. You might think that the cop is busy, but there can be more around, or the existing one may radio for more. I learned the (somewhat) hard way when the latter actually happened. I say somewhat because I was given a warning and my offense was not following the move over law rather than speeding.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 23, 2018, 01:43:31 PM
I-295 South in NJ between exit 32 and 26 will come to a complete stop from ~70 MPH for no apparent reason at least twice during a normal morning commute. There have been a lot of accidents on this stretch because of this. (during an abnormal morning commute the entire stretch may be at a standstill). As for cops, I *will* slow down to the speed limit (not below) if I see a cop stopped in the shoulder (or right lane or whatever) from far enough away. You might think that the cop is busy, but there can be more around, or the existing one may radio for more. I learned the (somewhat) hard way when the latter actually happened. I say somewhat because I was given a warning and my offense was not following the move over law rather than speeding.

Well, it slows down for normal rush hour congestion, which is the typical case everywhere.  As far as slowing down, if you're slowing down to the speed limit then claiming you did slow down, you're probably very lucky you only got a warning.  While we all know 295 is severely under posted, it doesn't hurt to slow down just a bit more just to show that you were actually slowing down.

Flint1979

+1

As for I-75 coming north of Detroit the best alternate route would be to take Woodward Avenue to Pontiac then loop around there to connect to Dixie Highway north to the Oakland/Genesee County line where it turns into Saginaw Road, taking Dort Highway through the east side of Flint to reconnect with Saginaw Road in Clio then that becomes Dixie Highway and when you enter Saginaw it becomes Genesee Avenue. Taking that route takes a lot longer but if I-75 has a problem or it's just too bad of conditions to drive at least that's an alternate. US-23 would be another alternate but US-23 is a freeway just like I-75 for it's first 160 miles or so in Michigan. It multiplexes with I-75 for 70 miles between Flint and Standish.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on January 23, 2018, 01:43:31 PM

Well, it slows down for normal rush hour congestion, which is the typical case everywhere.  As far as slowing down, if you're slowing down to the speed limit then claiming you did slow down, you're probably very lucky you only got a warning.  While we all know 295 is severely under posted, it doesn't hurt to slow down just a bit more just to show that you were actually slowing down.
I slow down to the speed limit *and* move over (if applicable). If I can't move over I slow down below the speed limit. Now that I got my warning.

Sorry, the two statements were unrelated. I was pulled over for violating the move over law on the Atlantic City Expressway not I-295. I did not move over or slow down (because I got my license recently at the time, and none of the study materials referenced the move over law. Once the officer who pulled me over told me why he did so I faintly remembered when they first passed the law). I think I mentioned that in the "roads that taught me to drive" thread.

Flint1979

About a month or two ago I was in the left lane doing about 80 mph. A behind me was flashing his high beams at me and I didn't move over. Then he shines his side light at me and at that point I thought screw it and got over. It was a Michigan State cop. He didn't do anything to me though.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 27, 2018, 10:06:33 PM
About a month or two ago I was in the left lane doing about 80 mph. A behind me was flashing his high beams at me and I didn't move over. Then he shines his side light at me and at that point I thought screw it and got over. It was a Michigan State cop. He didn't do anything to me though.
Wierd that he didn't turn on his police lights. That would be the typical police move.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

froggie

^ In my experience, only if they're responding to a call would they turn their flashing lights on in this scenario.

wanderer2575

People on freeways who start slowing down a half mile before their exit.  One near me that's notorious is I-696 at Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills (both directions, but especially westbound).  I'm almost always behind someone doing this.  The freeway slightly curves through the exit point and apparently people can't handle that.

I had that happen to me several years ago on I-94 in mid-Michigan.  No lights; not even flashing high beams or a side light; the f****r was just tailgating me at 80.  It wasn't until I moved back to the right lane after I finished passing other vehicles and he passed me that I saw he was a state trooper.  I was so f***ing mad I would have stopped to get his license number and filed a complaint had I seen him pulled over farther ahead.

michravera

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 19, 2018, 07:17:23 AM
Not uncommon in California for traffic to come to a crawl only resume normal speeds again after passing a wreck ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREEWAY!

Two things:
1) George Carlin in "Brain Droppings" and in some of his stand up routines "Can You Move the Body a Little Closer?"

2) Emergency vehicles here seem to remain lighted up in emergency mode until they get back on patrol and the crew finish their Red Bulls. So, some of the reason that people slow down on the other side of the freeway is the visual hazard. Also, since crashes, fires, and calls for roadside assistance often result in traffic jams, the assistance often is rendered by vehicles from the opposite side of the road. It's just a practical matter.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 28, 2018, 11:42:22 AM
People on freeways who start slowing down a half mile before their exit.  One near me that's notorious is I-696 at Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills (both directions, but especially westbound).  I'm almost always behind someone doing this.  The freeway slightly curves through the exit point and apparently people can't handle that.

I had that happen to me several years ago on I-94 in mid-Michigan.  No lights; not even flashing high beams or a side light; the f****r was just tailgating me at 80.  It wasn't until I moved back to the right lane after I finished passing other vehicles and he passed me that I saw he was a state trooper.  I was so f***ing mad I would have stopped to get his license number and filed a complaint had I seen him pulled over farther ahead.
The worst one in the Detroit area for slowing down for no reason at all is on the Southfield Freeway it's ridiculous going up and down those hills like a roller coaster and having people slow down for the hills. My incident with the state cop happened on I-75 going north between Pontiac and Flint.

bzakharin

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 28, 2018, 11:42:22 AM
There is an exit like that on the Atlantic City Expressway (I think Exit 12 Westbound). In that case, people don't signal when exiting from the right lane, so it *appears* like they're slowing down when in reality they are already in the exit lane and can be safely passed.

Sometimes *I* slow down too early because the location of the Exit -> signs is inconsistent, sometimes at gore point and sometimes before the exit lane begins. I believe the ACE is guilty of that one as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2018, 10:55:47 AM
I believe the ACE is guilty of that one as well.

I think you meant the GSP is guilty of this, which they definitely are!

roadman65

I-4 does around Disney as those tourists are so afraid of missing their exit.  Once you leave that area you can resume 80-85 mph.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Conn. Roads

The key is to maintain an escape route, and also be aware of what is around you. Yes the rubberneckers are a pain. Some people are to engrossed in texting, or changing the radio station, and don't concentrate on driving well enough. Some cars may not be capable of keeping the speed limit on hills. This begs the question of why the driver will not get over to the slower lanes.

I recently got my CDL. One thing that was stressed was reading, and also paying attention to surroundings. With 80K lbs, you are not going to be able to stop quickly. It was good training. The stress level decreases by not trying to tailgate, so as to intimidate the slowpoke to move over. Just ease off a bit. There is nothing that will cure bad drivers. You need to just live with it.

The only sure fire solution it to drive at night. I tend to work lots of nights, so i'm used to it. The roads seem to be more clear sailing then.

SD Mapman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 22, 2018, 01:34:32 PM

+1

I'm not a huge fan of driving in snowy weather, period, both because of people who don't drive at appropriate speeds and because of people who refuse to use their headlights even when the snow is falling heavily.
The worst is driving in snowy weather with a ~20 mph crosswind in the dark. I think I was going 25-30 ish for about 30 miles on I-90 east of Rapid one winter...
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.