News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

I believe that's correct. What a difference sixty-five years makes............

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignBridge on July 29, 2019, 09:04:52 PMI believe that's correct. What a difference sixty-five years makes............
While indeed true, the changeover from a left-lane exit to a right-lane exit was a very recent (within 5 years) change.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek Adam

Interchange 163's replacement was finished in 2017.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

It would be nice to see Exit 153 moved over. At least one issue resolved so at least we got one thing fixed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Fixing the 153s aren't as easy.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 30, 2019, 09:25:09 PM
In point of fact, when I was evaluating removal of left exits along the Parkway, I proposed an iterative improvement (lengthening of deceleration lanes and modification of ramp curvature) but there was no short-term feasible solution I could find. It would take a massive blow-up of the Allwood Road Park&Ride to get started.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2019, 12:30:30 AM
In point of fact, when I was evaluating removal of left exits along the Parkway, I proposed an iterative improvement (lengthening of deceleration lanes and modification of ramp curvature) but there was no short-term feasible solution I could find. It would take a massive blow-up of the Allwood Road Park&Ride to get started.

And even then, you still have Clifton Avenue and all the apartments nearby that would be in danger and you know they would be up in arms.

I think we'll have to live with that left exit pairing at 153.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 31, 2019, 01:19:23 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2019, 12:30:30 AM

And even then, you still have Clifton Avenue and all the apartments nearby that would be in danger and you know they would be up in arms.

I think we'll have to live with that left exit pairing at 153.
To be clear, if you ignore the park and ride, you could do the same thing at 153 as at 163: build new carriageways down the median, turn the existing ones into ramps, reconstruct. The footprint would be the same. But it would be prohibitively expensive to bridge the entire thing (local cable-stayed bridge) so you would end up with piers all through it, or relocating it entirely.

roadman65

The way I see it here is that bridging the Strait of Gibraltar is much easier.  Though I am not suggesting they do it right away here, as I have grown used to left hand ramps, as Orlando had some, and also I have exited onto NJ 3 West sevenfold going NB to get to Wayne and my cousin's old store on Route 23 in Oak Ridge when I lived in NJ.  It is something we can live with, but ideally if the could be done it would be nice.

I remember that area being built up to the road, so yes, it would require shifting and building new carriageways and stuff, but they did it in Woodbridge with the 127 and 129 Tangle in 1971 when they built Route 440.  Yes that was just switching the Parkway and Route 9 and they had not much in the way, especially that the Parkway had the wide median where now under Route 184 you have the post Tangle carriageway as prior to it the current service roads were the actual Parkway travel lanes.

Apples and Oranges maybe, but the fact is they did a lot of fancy footwork to do it, and anything is possible.  I think the time and trouble is more the issue than trying to fit it all in, but to reverese US 9 and the GSP in Woodbridge was a lot of time and effort to do it despite the ROW being there to do it all.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

It's not really worth wasting so much money to build a new interchange at 153 to fix movements. 154 serves the missing movement southbound. I've used 153B northbound enough in my life to know it is a crappy ramp, but welcome to the 1950s construction on top of 1930s construction.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 31, 2019, 11:47:32 PM
It's not really worth wasting so much money to build a new interchange at 153 to fix movements. 154 serves the missing movement southbound. I've used 153B northbound enough in my life to know it is a crappy ramp, but welcome to the 1950s construction on top of 1930s construction.
And that's why at the very least, providing proper deceleration lanes for the left exits will move the congestion out of the left lane (especially NB) and help reduce crashes.

storm2k

Drove thru the Exit 145 ramp toll tonight on my way home from work. Looks like they're replacing the old flip signs for the toll lanes to denote what the lane has (cash and EZ-Pass, exact change, EZ-Pass only) are being replaced with LED VMS's. Is this a new thing that we'll start seeing at other Parkway plazas? Also new here are standardized MUTCD-compliant lane arrows replacing the old solid lights that have been the Parkway's thing for years.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 16, 2019, 10:31:51 PM
Drove thru the Exit 145 ramp toll tonight on my way home from work. Looks like they're replacing the old flip signs for the toll lanes to denote what the lane has (cash and EZ-Pass, exact change, EZ-Pass only) are being replaced with LED VMS's. Is this a new thing that we'll start seeing at other Parkway plazas? Also new here are standardized MUTCD-compliant lane arrows replacing the old solid lights that have been the Parkway's thing for years.
all electronic tolling = signs that are electronic

tolbs17

I wish the parkway got some electronic tolls too so we wouldn't have to slow down or stop all the time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 17, 2019, 09:12:49 PM
I wish the parkway got some electronic tolls too so we wouldn't have to slow down or stop all the time.

Other than one plaza you can go thru the EZ Pass lanes at highway speeds.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2019, 01:22:40 AM

If only there were some sort of high-speed electronic tolling option though.

tolbs17

They should make the tolling similar to the Triangle Expressway in North Carolina or I-95 in Delaware. Doesn't have to be all electric, just some. Maybe they want everyone to stop? This is my recommendation, it's not necessary.

PHLBOS

For the stretch north of the Exit 129/NJ Turnpike (I-95); there are still three mainline toll plazas where even one with E-ZPass still has to slow down to pass through.  Two of them are northbound, before Exit 142/I-78 & just beyond Exit 159/I-80; and one southbound toll plaza located just before Exit 149/CR 506.  Only the southbound toll plaza prior to Exit 165 has E-ZPass Express lanes; again only referring to the stretch north of Exit 129.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Give em time as soon the US will all be cash less tolls!

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 03:19:45 PM

For the stretch north of the Exit 129/NJ Turnpike (I-95); there are still three mainline toll plazas where even one with E-ZPass still has to slow down to pass through.  Two of them are northbound, before Exit 142/I-78 & just beyond Exit 159/I-80; and one southbound toll plaza located just before Exit 149/CR 506.  Only the southbound toll plaza prior to Exit 165 has E-ZPass Express lanes; again only referring to the stretch north of Exit 129.

I was surprised to see those plazas were still all-traditional lanes.

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.  The EZ Pass lanes are signed at 15 mph.  They just hope you're going under 40.  (Fun fact he's probably not aware of...they don't even require you to stop in the exact change lanes, as long as you can get all your change in the basket.  On occasion they'll place State Troopers in those lanes to make sure people are throwing in the correct amount of change.  They'll write up a ticket and send the registered owner of the vehicle a ticket for failing to pay the proper toll, but they'll never worry about the fact you didn't stop)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 21, 2019, 08:57:15 AM

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.
His post, nested above, was wishing that one wouldn't have to even slow down (to 15 mph) let alone stop at those E-ZPass booths/lanes.

Such begs this question: does NJTA have timelines with regards to when the GSP and the NJ Turnpike will fully adopt AET?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2019, 10:00:55 AM

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.
His post, nested above, was wishing that one wouldn't have to even slow down (to 15 mph) let alone stop at those E-ZPass booths/lanes.

Such begs this question: does NJTA have timelines with regards to when the GSP and the NJ Turnpike will fully adopt AET?
Well in Florida we have 25 mph speed limits in Dedicated Electronic Lanes, yet some exceed 70 mph through the narrow toll lanes.   Surprisingly enough, they do it day after day and no police action.  Heck even if they did issue tickets, the problem will still occur.

If everyone obeys this up there, then that is surprising!  However, that is one thing about NJ I liked. Even truckers obeyed the NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE signs despite doing the 85 percentile speeds on the highways.  So maybe its that the northeast still fears authority where the south does not perhaps.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2019, 10:00:55 AM

No.  The last time they suggested it was many years ago (10+ years ago I believe), in which they eventually got huge paycut concessions from the unions.  I haven't seen the issue brought up since, other than the new EZ Pass only Exit 125 off the Parkway.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2019, 11:21:56 AM
...However, that is one thing about NJ I liked. Even truckers obeyed the NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE signs despite doing the 85 percentile speeds on the highways.  So maybe its that the northeast still fears authority where the south does not perhaps.

You haven't been here in a long, long time, have you?  One of the common complaints from motorists is truckers driving in the left lane of a 3+ lane highway. 

The Northeast fears authority?  Ha.  The 85th percentile on several NJ highways is over 80 mph.  Truckers are all over the place.  There's definitely no fear!

roadman65

Well a lot can change in a year.  Let alone 29 years.  I figured that much as if they are fearless here 1200 miles south, than they have to be up in NJ and most of all in CA too.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 03:19:45 PMFor the stretch north of the Exit 129/NJ Turnpike (I-95); there are still three mainline toll plazas where even one with E-ZPass still has to slow down to pass through.  Two of them are northbound, before Exit 142/I-78 & just beyond Exit 159/I-80; and one southbound toll plaza located just before Exit 149/CR 506.  Only the southbound toll plaza prior to Exit 165 has E-ZPass Express lanes; again only referring to the stretch north of Exit 129.

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.  The EZ Pass lanes are signed at 15 mph.  They just hope you're going under 40.  (Fun fact he's probably not aware of...they don't even require you to stop in the exact change lanes, as long as you can get all your change in the basket.  On occasion they'll place State Troopers in those lanes to make sure people are throwing in the correct amount of change.  They'll write up a ticket and send the registered owner of the vehicle a ticket for failing to pay the proper toll, but they'll never worry about the fact you didn't stop)
Bergen, Essex, and Union are the three most urban toll plazas, and that may have played a role. There's already so much weaving going on at all three of these locations that adding another decision point may have been deemed unwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.