News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

If you're bored and lonely around Boston, they are surely hanging some of these at Wellington Circle tonight.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 06, 2015, 11:44:44 PM
If you're bored and lonely around Boston, they are surely hanging some of these at Wellington Circle tonight.

Hope they're not planning on reusing the existing trusses for these signs.

UPDATE - My contacts have informed me that the overhead signs at Wellington Circle have been replaced, but that the circa-1972 support structures were indeed retained.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman on July 07, 2015, 09:59:31 AM

are the button copy signs for the Wellington T Station still up?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 17, 2015, 07:38:27 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 07, 2015, 09:59:31 AM

are the button copy signs for the Wellington T Station still up?
As of this morning (7/20), they were still there.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mariethefoxy

When did Massachusetts switch from the small exit tabs that look like they are built into the bigger part of the sign to the bigger tabs with a border between the tab and the main sign, (similar to how New Hampshire does it)

AMLNet49

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 26, 2015, 03:51:51 AM
When did Massachusetts switch from the small exit tabs that look like they are built into the bigger part of the sign to the bigger tabs with a border between the tab and the main sign, (similar to how New Hampshire does it)

It was around 2002-2003, when the Big Dig was being completed. The first signs with the new style were put up as part of the Big Dig. However, there was still some overlap depending on signing contracts. For example, just after the Big Dig, the new style of signs were put up on I-495 in southern Mass. However, at the same time, the signs put up for the US-44 extension and several other isolated projects used the old style for several more years.

roadman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 26, 2015, 03:51:51 AM
Actually, the Big Dig sign design had no bearing on MassHighway's decision to switch to the larger exit tabs on their signs.  When the 1978 MUTCD was issued, one of the changes was to go from an 18 inch high exit tab to a 24 inch high one.  At the time, MassDPW convinced FHWA that omitting the border underneath the exit tab and overlapping the numerals onto the main sign panel (often referred to as the "integral exit tab" design) was an acceptable alternative to requiring a fully separate exit tab.  The rationale given at the time to retain the 18 inch design with modifications instead of going to the 24 inch height was to minimize the need for support changes when signs were updated in the future.

About the time the 2003 MUTCD was issued, which called for 30 inch high exit tabs, MassHighway had a handful of instances where, due to fabrication errors that were not caught before installation, signs for some left side exits were placed with right-justified tabs.  Because of the omitted border and the overlapping numerals, fixing this problem was more involved than just moving the tab to the opposite side of the panel.

As a result of the 2003 MUTCD changes, and in light of the problems with incorrectly fabricated signs, MassHighway made the decision to forego the "integral exit tab" design in favor of the current practice.  The first signs to be designed and fabricated to this new standard were on I-95 at the "Task A" interchange with Route 128 in Peabody, and on Route 140 between Taunton and New Bedford.

The Ghostbuster

I heard that Massachusetts was going to change it's exit numbers to mileage-based in the near future. Is this accurate, or did I mishear about that?

roadman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:12:00 PM
I heard that Massachusetts was going to change it's exit numbers to mileage-based in the near future. Is this accurate, or did I mishear about that?
The contract for exit number conversion is scheduled to be advertised for bids in September.  It will involve changing exit numbers on most routes through a blanket conversion with overlays.  The sole exception is the MassPike - I-90, as those numbers will be changed when the signs are replaced under the pending West Stockbridge to Auburn (advertised, bid opening in September) and Auburn to Boston (to be advertised in October) projects.

Rothman

...and another state bordering NY switches to mileage-based exit numbering.  Hopefully, NY gets its act together.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on July 29, 2015, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:12:00 PM
The contract for exit number conversion is scheduled to be advertised for bids in Spetember.  It will involve chainging exit numbers on most routes through a blanket conversion with overlays.  The sole exception is the MassPike - I-90, as those numbers will be changed when the signs are replaced under the pending West Stockbridge to Auburn (advertised, bid opening in September) and Auburn to Boston (to be advertised in October) projects.

Very interesting. If the MassPike signs are let as separate contracts, wouldn't that suggest that there could be a period where some numbers are changed and some aren't? I suppose that is inevitable though even if it were one contract.

roadman

The plan for the MassPike contracts is to coordinate the actual sign installation so this phase of the work is done one interchange at a time.  Yes, there will be a point where some interchanges have the new numbers while others continue to have the old ones.  However, this will also be the case (although to a lesser degree) with the number conversions on all other routes.  ALso note that MassDOT's original longer term "route by route" plan has been changed to a short term "blanket" replacement plan (similar to PA) - this was requested by FHWA as a condition of receiving Federal money for the conversions.

Additionally, the exit numbering contract will have a large PR coordination effort as part of the Contractor's work.

spooky

Thanks as always for the inside info, roadman.

yakra

Any info yet on what the new exit numbers are to be?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

PHLBOS

Quote from: yakra on July 29, 2015, 11:50:43 AM
Here's an unofficial list of possible exit number changes for MA Interstate & state highways made by one of users from this site.

The official ones shouldn't be too far off what's listed in the above-link.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

MA 213 shouldn't change, as it is already coincidentally mile-based (starting at 1 instead of 0).

The route that would probably cause the most confusion with the change is I-93, as several current exit numbers are only 1 or 2 away from their mile numbers.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 29, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
Quote from: yakra on July 29, 2015, 11:50:43 AM
Here's an unofficial list of possible exit number changes for MA Interstate & state highways made by one of users from this site.

The official ones shouldn't be too far off what's listed in the above-link.
It will be interesting to see how the actual numbers do compare with the ones in the lists. I tried not to be too strict in adhering to mileposts when assigning numbers if I thought drivers would benefit by keeping it simpler. For example at the southern end of I-93, both current Exits 1 (SB) and 2 could be assigned to milepost 1 (assuming MassDOT isn't going to be using Exit 0), but I figured it would be easier to keep the exits as is rather than a southbound driver seeing Exits 1D, 1C, 1B and 1A. And, though my list may say differently, you could keep the I-93 exit numbers as is between I-95 and Exit 12 without causing too much driver confusion.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on July 29, 2015, 11:37:51 PMAnd, though my list may say differently, you could keep the I-93 exit numbers as is between I-95 and Exit 12 without causing too much driver confusion.
IMHO, that's what will likely happen there.  Similar was done with I-95 in PA during its conversion circa 2000 (the first 10 exits from the DE state line to the first PA 291 exit did not have their numbers changed).

IMHO, once CT finally fully changes over; the first 9 interchanges along I-84 (from the NY state line eastward) probably won't change either.

OTOH and back to MA; exit numbers along the Lowell Connector could indeed become alphabet soup.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on July 29, 2015, 10:42:43 AM
The plan for the MassPike contracts is to coordinate the actual sign installation so this phase of the work is done one interchange at a time.  Yes, there will be a point where some interchanges have the new numbers while others continue to have the old ones.  However, this will also be the case (although to a lesser degree) with the number conversions on all other routes.  ALso note that MassDOT's original longer term "route by route" plan has been changed to a short term "blanket" replacement plan (similar to PA) - this was requested by FHWA as a condition of receiving Federal money for the conversions.

Additionally, the exit numbering contract will have a large PR coordination effort as part of the Contractor's work.
It sounds like, under this short-term blanket plan, numbers will be changed on existing signs for routes scheduled for sign replacement in the next few years. In particular, US 6 /Mid-Cape Highway in 2016, MA 24 north of I-195 in 2016/17, and I-95 south of MA 128 in 2018. Couldn't the FHWA be convinced to wait to switch those routes when the new signs were put up?

southshore720

Looking forward to the US 6/Cape sign replacement project next year.  There are many BGSs in really rough shape along that stretch.

Pete from Boston

I was on Route 6 today, and wondered if anyone knows when the nifty travel time signs out there will make it to the rest of the state.  These seem to have been in discussion and development for a long time.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 03, 2015, 01:01:20 AM
I was on Route 6 today, and wondered if anyone knows when the nifty travel time signs out there will make it to the rest of the state.  These seem to have been in discussion and development for a long time.
The project (MassDOT Project #607422) to expand the travel time sign system to other Interstates and freeways statewide is presently under construction - all signs are expected to be installed and operational by mid to late fall of 2015.

Once the permanent "hybrid" signs are in place, the portable CMS panels currently conveying this information on certain routes (I-93, MassPike) will be removed.

roadman

bob7374

MassDOT has released its Draft 2016-2019 STIP document: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/17/docs/STIP/DraftSTIP2016_2019.pdf

Among the projects listed for FY 2016 are, as Roadman indicated above, the "Statewide-Conversion of Interstate and Freeway Exit Numbers to Milepost-Based" Project 608024, "Route 6 Sign Upgrades, Sandwich to Orleans" Project 605367 and Raynham to Bolton, Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on I-495, Project 606620. The conversion project, 608024, is estimated to cost $2 Million in 2016 with the feds contributing $1.8 million of it ($4 million has already been committed in 2015, according to the 2015-2018 TIP). For comparison, the US 6 project is estimated at $4.1 Million, $3.7 Million in Federal funds and the I-495 project $6 Million, $5.4 Million in Federal funding.

MA 24 Sign Replacement from Randolph to Fall River is scheduled for FY 2017 (Project 607916) while FY 2018 has sign replacement projects for I-495 from Bolton to Lowell (Project 607919) and I-290 from Auburn to Worcester (Project 607919) scheduled, along with I-95 from Attleboro to Canton (Project 608204). Upgrading I-95 signage from Reading to Peabody is to occur in FY 2019 (Project 608205) along with upgrading signage on US 1 from Chelsea to Danvers (Project 608206) (will that include exit numbers?) and I-495 from Haverhill to Amesbury (what about between Lowell and Haverhill?) (Project 608187).

southshore720

I'm delighted to see the widening of Rte 18 in Weymouth/Abington for 2016...at least a decade overdue in my opinion!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.