News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2015, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2015, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: Jim on September 24, 2015, 11:43:35 AM
While I am happy to hear that mileage-based exit numbers are coming very soon to the Mass Pike, I will be sad to see the one just posted in Auburn with the old pilgrim hat and the CT-style MA 33 outline shield westbound approaching Chicopee go away.

I believe the new signage will also no longer have MA 12 on it, either, which makes me sad.  I remember when it was I-290 / MA 12 / MA 52... *sigh*
Yes, just I-290 and I-395, (and no reference to Auburn, both will be on auxiliary signage) as shown on this sign plan:

Are these sign plans unavailable for public download?  They'd be fun to skim through.

If not, are hyper-interested people like us the reason why?

bob7374

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 24, 2015, 07:18:04 PM

Are these sign plans unavailable for public download?  They'd be fun to skim through.

I got the above plan from an addendum to the contract posted on the project's bid page. MassDOT contract plans typically are made available to the public once the project gets awarded. Perhaps Roadman can tell us if that is now the case, or whether we have to wait for a while longer.

Rothman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2015, 10:08:16 PM

I got the above plan from an addendum to the contract posted on the project's bid page. MassDOT contract plans typically are made available to the public once the project gets awarded. Perhaps Roadman can tell us if that is now the case, or whether we have to wait for a while longer.

Me?  I don't work for MassDOT. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2015, 11:13:43 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2015, 10:08:16 PM

Me?  I don't work for MassDOT. :D
@Rothman - He meant me.  And to answer the question, MassDOT project plans are not available to the general public until after a project has been awarded to the winning contractor.  Bids on 606619 West Stockbridge to Auburn were recently opened, so the project should be awarded shortly.  You can then request plans from the MassDOT Plans and Records Office - https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/PlansRecords.aspx

BTW, it is unusual for copies of plan sheets to show up in the CommBuys listing for a project, except when an addendum involving plan changes is issued - a half sized copy of the changed plans are included to expedite the bidding process.  My guess is that is a holdover from the pre-electronic universe days, when plans were paper sets.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

What's the thinking in doing them by request rather than simply posting them?  I'm curious for the same reason most of us are–I like plans–but it also seems like it would save a lot of labor in the long run.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 25, 2015, 09:41:19 AM
What's the thinking in doing them by request rather than simply posting them?  I'm curious for the same reason most of us are—I like plans—but it also seems like it would save a lot of labor in the long run.
Frankly, I do not have an answer to that question.  And, personally, I agree with you that plans should be posted on-line.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

FYI, regarding the new interchange signage for Auburn:

Per Roadman's suggestion, I submitted a comment regarding the absence of MA 12 shields on the proposed main interchange signs.  My argument for keeping the MA 12 shields was because the ramps to MA 12 are not only part of the overall interchange but are the first ramps one encounters after exiting off the Pike (and after clearing the toll booths).  Such was detailed on the I-90 signage thread.

I have since received a reply e-mail from the MassDOT District Three Feedback.  Bold emphais added:

Quote from: Note: Actual names are intentionally not shownThank you for your recent e-mail to MassDOT Feedback regarding your concerns about the proposed replacement signs on Interstate 90 (MassPike) for the Interstate 295/395/MA Route 12 interchange in Auburn.

It was not practical to include destinations on Route 12 on the new overhead signs for I-295/I-395 while conforming to Federal signing guidelines.  Therefore, a decision was made early in the project design process to relegate the Route 12 information to ground-mounted supplemental signs instead, and to not provide Route 12 shields on the overhead signs.

However, upon further review of this location, and in consideration of the unique nature of this interchange, we now agree that placing Route 12 shields on these new signs will benefit drivers using I-90.  Accordingly, we will instruct our sign fabricator for the I-90 West Stockbridge to Auburn sign replacement project to add the Route 12 shields to the new overhead signs on the I-90 mainline at this location.

Again, thank you for contacting us with your concerns.  We appreciate your interest in MassDOT's ongoing freeway sign replacement program, and in the Massachusetts state highway system.

Sincerely,

MassDOT District Three Highway Feedback

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 29, 2015, 09:24:37 AM
FYI, regarding the new interchange signage for Auburn:

Per Roadman's suggestion, I submitted a comment regarding the absence of MA 12 shields on the proposed main interchange signs.  My argument for keeping the MA 12 shields was because the ramps to MA 12 are not only part of the overall interchange but are the first ramps one encounters after exiting off the Pike (and after clearing the toll booths).  Such was detailed on the I-90 signage thread.

I have since received a reply e-mail from the MassDOT District Three Feedback.  Bold emphais added:

Quote from: Note: Actual names are intentionally not shownThank you for your recent e-mail to MassDOT Feedback regarding your concerns about the proposed replacement signs on Interstate 90 (MassPike) for the Interstate 295/395/MA Route 12 interchange in Auburn.

It was not practical to include destinations on Route 12 on the new overhead signs for I-295/I-395 while conforming to Federal signing guidelines.  Therefore, a decision was made early in the project design process to relegate the Route 12 information to ground-mounted supplemental signs instead, and to not provide Route 12 shields on the overhead signs.

However, upon further review of this location, and in consideration of the unique nature of this interchange, we now agree that placing Route 12 shields on these new signs will benefit drivers using I-90.  Accordingly, we will instruct our sign fabricator for the I-90 West Stockbridge to Auburn sign replacement project to add the Route 12 shields to the new overhead signs on the I-90 mainline at this location.

Again, thank you for contacting us with your concerns.  We appreciate your interest in MassDOT's ongoing freeway sign replacement program, and in the Massachusetts state highway system.

Sincerely,

MassDOT District Three Highway Feedback

Well done!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

southshore720

I hope they arrange the shields as 290/395/12.  I hate the current 290/12/395 placement.  The state shield seems so awkward in-between the two interstate shields.

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on September 30, 2015, 12:22:32 AM
I hope they arrange the shields as 290/395/12.  I hate the current 290/12/395 placement.  The state shield seems so awkward in-between the two interstate shields.
One needs to keep in mind that the interchange was originally built for just MA 12 only; I-290 and subsequently I-395 (originally MA 52) came along later.  So the BGS legends likely evolved from (the first one is just a guess):

EXIT 10
  Auburn
Worcester

to

EXIT 10
  290  12
  Auburn
Worcester

to

EXIT 10
290  12  52
  Auburn
Worcester

to

EXIT 10
290  12  395
   Auburn
Worcester

Granted, the shield layouts should've been rearranged and an I-395 (old MA 52) destination should've been included when these 1990s-vintage BGS' were erected; but the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority simply carried over the older layout onto the newer panels.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2015, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: Jim on September 24, 2015, 11:43:35 AM
While I am happy to hear that mileage-based exit numbers are coming very soon to the Mass Pike, I will be sad to see the one just posted in Auburn with the old pilgrim hat and the CT-style MA 33 outline shield westbound approaching Chicopee go away.

I believe the new signage will also no longer have MA 12 on it, either, which makes me sad.  I remember when it was I-290 / MA 12 / MA 52... *sigh*

All this talk of 52 makes me realize that I can't remember if I ever considered 52 until the little bits of white corners were sticking out from under the "395" pasted atop "52" on these signs.  My guess without looking it up is that this was 1984.

Edit: 1983, in fact–my first guess.  Always trust yer gut.

Mergingtraffic

Speaking of signing contracts: Are the MA-33 NRBC on tap to be replaced? I think it's the biggest batch still in existence in the state.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 30, 2015, 11:54:47 AM
Speaking of signing contracts: Are the MA-33 NRBC on tap to be replaced? I think it's the biggest batch still in existence in the state.

These signs are not presently scheduled to be replaced as part of any active or planned MassDOT signing contract.

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on September 30, 2015, 12:22:32 AM

Good suggestion.  I believe that configuration can easily be arranged (no pun intended).

Mergingtraffic

Anyone know the status of the signing project on MA-16?  A while back I members of the forum said these signs were thisclose to being replaced.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bob7374

Traveled through the I-95 Add-A-Lane Project zone this afternoon. Whether it's official or not, traffic is now using the new fourth lane in both directions between MA 109 and Great Plain Ave. Here's a view northbound, the only remaining work seems to be the final lane striping:

Southbound has still more work to do, but traffic is using the new lane, open or not:

I have photos of progress along the final segment to be built through Needham on my I-95 photo page: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html#addalane

cl94

With the add-a-lane, are they finally barring people from using the breakdown lane as a travel lane during rush hour?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Beeper1

Yeah, sections with the new lanes completed no longer allow breakdown lane travel.   I believe this laves only the section between Great Plain Ave and MA-9 with breakdown travel during rush hour. 

southshore720

QUESTION ABOUT THE NEW PADDLE SIGNS:
We're starting to see the new generation paddle signs emerge.  I haven't seen the smaller square affixed to the pole...did they do away with that?  How are they going to handle intersections with left and right turns?  Double large paddle signs?

TravelingBethelite

In other sign-related news, I found a pretty old sign on the cover of an AMS report from 1987:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

PHLBOS

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on October 27, 2015, 11:01:44 AM
In other sign-related news, I found a pretty old sign on the cover of an AMS report from 1987:
Photo's from the imfamous Blizzard of '78 along I-93 North/then-still MA 128 South at what's now Exit 2B.  The BGS is early-70s vintage.

Quote from: southshore720 on October 27, 2015, 11:00:20 AM
QUESTION ABOUT THE NEW PADDLE SIGNS:
We're starting to see the new generation paddle signs emerge.  I haven't seen the smaller square affixed to the pole...did they do away with that?  How are they going to handle intersections with left and right turns?  Double large paddle signs?
Here's how such was recently done for I-95 exit signage along MA 113.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

Thanks for the link!  I don't know how crazy I am about that font, though...

roadman

Specifications and detail sheets for the MassDOT statewide milepost exit numbering conversion project have just been posted on the Commonwealth of Massachusetts bidding site:

https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-16-1030-0H100-0H002-00000005477&external=true&parentUrl=bid

Bid opening is scheduled for Tuesday, November 17, 2015.

southshore720

I guess they're not going to wait for new sign contracts to change the numbering as there are instructions to overlay numbers on the existing 90's era BGS with the "depressed" exit tab.

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on October 28, 2015, 01:18:46 PM
I guess they're not going to wait for new sign contracts to change the numbering as there are instructions to overlay numbers on the existing 90's era BGS with the "depressed" exit tab.
Correct.  Although the original plan was to integrate the exit renumbering into sign update projects as much as possible over a ten year period (i.e. only the newest signs would get overlays immediately), this changed when the Feds agreed to allow MassDOT to use Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds to do the work.  Now, all exit numbers in the state (excluding the Mass. Pike, which is having signs changed anyway) will be changed out - mostly through overlays - by late 2017/early 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.