News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass_citizen

nice mismatch of colors in that video with the black on orange arrows, black on white cardinal directions, and blue interstate shields for those I-93 assemblies.

MVHighways

Quote from: mass_citizen on August 04, 2016, 01:46:40 AM
nice mismatch of colors in that video with the black on orange arrows, black on white cardinal directions, and blue interstate shields for those I-93 assemblies.
Yeah, those are temporary. The permanent new entrance to 93NB opens this month - the ramp itself and access from 110/113 WB stays the same but access from 110/113 EB changes. Also, the new SB on-ramp opens this month. MassDOT just posted on the project site that the rotary permanently closes this month and traffic will go straight under I-93.

Should a thread be opened specifically to discuss the Methuen Rotary project?

roadman

Not to mention the horizontal arrow plate that's tilted upward at 45 degrees.  I know it's all temporary, but geez ...
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MVHighways

Quote from: roadman on August 04, 2016, 12:07:14 PM
Not to mention the horizontal arrow plate that's tilted upward at 45 degrees.  I know it's all temporary, but geez ...
I was at the rotary earlier today and that arrow is now straight up and not tilted. Still, my grandmother yesterday got confused attempting to head to the beach. 93NB offramp traffic that wants WB 110/113 has to weave quickly with those on 110/113 EB who are looking to proceed toward the split of those two roads. Nonetheless, there are virtually daily changes there leading up to the opening of the realigned 110/113 and with it the SB off-ramp (potentially the EB to SB on-ramp too as that looks to be nearing completion, but even if that is not the case it is easy to put up jersey barriers to direct drivers to the existing SB onramp. The MassDOT update this morning said, as I noted, the 93SB offramp and the realigned 110/113 opens to traffic this month; MassDOT will probably make a formal announcement soon about what day they open. I hope it's a Saturday or Sunday morning but even so, traffic will be horrible there for a few days as everyone gets adjusted.

roadman

Quote from: MVHighways on August 04, 2016, 09:56:54 PM
I was at the rotary earlier today and that arrow is now straight up and not tilted.

My comment was referring to the arrow on the left side route assembly just before the entrance ramp to I-93 north.  If that arrow has been "fixed" so that it's now straight up, that's going to confuse a lot of people.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MVHighways

Quote from: roadman on August 05, 2016, 09:17:05 AM
Quote from: MVHighways on August 04, 2016, 09:56:54 PM
I was at the rotary earlier today and that arrow is now straight up and not tilted.

My comment was referring to the arrow on the left side route assembly just before the entrance ramp to I-93 north.  If that arrow has been "fixed" so that it's now straight up, that's going to confuse a lot of people.
Not that one. The one before it is what I refer to, which I now realize was never at a 45 degree angle.

Stephane Dumas

Google maps had updated their satellite imagery of Concorde Tpk and Cambridge Tpk (MA-2/MA-2A).
http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=42.448277,-71.319684&z=16&t=s

roadman

Coming south on I-93 Saturday morning, I noted that the portable VMS just before the exit indicated that the new pattern for Exit 48 46 will be implemented on August 13th.

MVHighways

Quote from: roadman on August 08, 2016, 09:36:51 AM
Coming south on I-93 Saturday morning, I noted that the portable VMS just before the exit indicated that the new pattern for Exit 48 will be implemented on August 13th.
Yes, I just saw on the MassDOT project site that the new SB off ramp opens (at exit 46, not 48) on Saturday but the rotary still exists otherwise, but there is a major pattern change associated with the new ramp on the west side of the rotary. http://methuenrotary.mhd.state.ma.us/updates/traffic.aspx

roadman

Quote from: MVHighways on August 08, 2016, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 08, 2016, 09:36:51 AM
Coming south on I-93 Saturday morning, I noted that the portable VMS just before the exit indicated that the new pattern for Exit 48 will be implemented on August 13th.
Yes, I just saw on the MassDOT project site that the new SB off ramp opens (at exit 46, not 48) on Saturday but the rotary still exists otherwise, but there is a major pattern change associated with the new ramp on the west side of the rotary. http://methuenrotary.mhd.state.ma.us/updates/traffic.aspx
Oopsie - have corrected my post.

KEVIN_224

While on my way to the Lowell Spinners baseball game at LeLecheur Park on August 9, 2016:

One of those new electronic distance signs. It didn't look like it was operating yet. This was on I-495 North.

We were taking the last Massachusetts exit from US Route 3 in Tyngsborough. The New Hampshire welcome sign is roughly under the "S." for South Nashua, NH.

We were turning left on the road which became the Daniel Webster Highway at the NH line. It was only a couple hundred feet away.

The US Route 3 paddle sign next to Jordan's Furniture was actually still in Nashua, NH by a few feet.

There's a lot of these directional signs put up by the city of Lowell, MA. At least they got the route markers correct.  :awesomeface:

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 11, 2016, 01:03:43 AMOne of those new electronic distance signs. It didn't look like it was operating yet. This was on I-495 North.

I have yet to see any of the permanent travel-time signs in operation.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

mariethefoxy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 11, 2016, 01:03:43 AM

We were taking the last Massachusetts exit from US Route 3 in Tyngsborough. The New Hampshire welcome sign is roughly under the "S." for South Nashua, NH.

Plus theres the fact MA is missing an advanced sign for Spit Brook Road but pretty much every other exit near a state line they are good about signing it on their side.

But omg im in that area a lot since a lot of my freinds live around theyahh

mass_citizen

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 11, 2016, 03:07:08 PM

I have yet to see any of the permanent travel-time signs in operation.

They are active on cape cod

roadman

Methuen Rotary update - All traffic to be routed under the new I-93 bridges starting August 20th.

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/methuen-rotary-update-route-110113-realignment-august-20/

bob7374

MassDOT will be opening a set of new ramps along I-95/128 at Kendrick Street in the Add-A-Lane work zone tonight. Traffic northbound will be able to access Kendrick Street directly, there will also be a new on-ramp to I-95/128 South. Details can be found through this link (the Exit number indicated is not quite right, it will be Exit 19A). The remaining parts of the reworked Highland Avenue/Kendrick St. interchange won't open until the end of 2018:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/NeedhamWellesley/advisory_KendrickSt_081916.pdf

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 19, 2016, 11:14:42 AM
MassDOT will be opening a set of new ramps along I-95/128 at Kendrick Street in the Add-A-Lane work zone tonight. Traffic northbound will be able to access Kendrick Street directly, there will also be a new on-ramp to I-95/128 South. Details can be found through this link (the Exit number indicated is not quite right, it will be Exit 19A). The remaining parts of the reworked Highland Avenue/Kendrick St. interchange won't open until the end of 2018:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/NeedhamWellesley/advisory_KendrickSt_081916.pdf
Since Exit 19A already exists (Highland Ave. eastbound); numbering Kendrick St. as either Exit 18A or 19 (per the attached pdf) would make more sense.  Granted, such will likely be short-lived due to the upcoming interchange number conversions to mile-marker-based ones.

Kendrick St. would become Exit 34 & the Highland Ave. exits (current Exits 19A-B) would become Exits 35A-B.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

MassDOT is going all out with the FYAs. Every PPLT I know of on a state-maintained road in Berkshire County has been converted to a FYA. Most have a supplemental sign stating "left turn yield on flashing [yellow arrow illustration]" and most have a supplemental FYA signal head that is pole-mounted on the opposite corner of the intersection.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on August 26, 2016, 07:30:23 PM
MassDOT is going all out with the FYAs. Every PPLT I know of on a state-maintained road in Berkshire County has been converted to a FYA. Most have a supplemental sign stating "left turn yield on flashing [yellow arrow illustration]" and most have a supplemental FYA signal head that is pole-mounted on the opposite corner of the intersection.

I saw FYA, 2 actually and at one, a driver blew right through it.  I bet he thought "oh i have an arrow" I can make it.  There was no supplemental sign with it.  It was somewhere in Auburn.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

mariethefoxy

probably thought it was going to turn into a red arrow so he was trying to make the arrow. Some jurisdictions make you wait forever for the green arrow to come back on again.

dcbjms

Speaking of MassDOT and signaling projects - apparently MassDOT needs to update the Seekonk page if there are any additional future projects.  They still list the Baker's Four Corners intersection project, even though it's been done for a while now.  On the other hand, this one is still in progress:
https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=602615

kefkafloyd

Some of the new time-to-travel signs are active. Today the ones on US 3 were working. They may start coming live in your areas soon.

bob7374

Quote from: kefkafloyd on September 09, 2016, 07:06:03 PM
Some of the new time-to-travel signs are active. Today the ones on US 3 were working. They may start coming live in your areas soon.
According to a post on the BostonRoads Facebook group, a MassDOT spokesman indicates that most, if not all, of the signs should be activated by November.

roadman

The contract has been awarded for Phase 1 (Dedham Street interchange) of the I-95/I-93/University Avenue improvements in Canton.

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/canton-i-95dedham-street-interchange-construction-moves-forward/

Gnutella

One thing I've noticed in Massachusetts is that I-495 vanishes into thin air at its junction with I-195. Has there ever been any talk of extending a highway segment east to Sagamore Beach, or upgrading U.S. 44 and aligning I-495 on it to Plymouth? Just curious.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.