News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: kefkafloyd on November 06, 2016, 09:04:15 AM
If they took the 128 signs off after it was confirmed that there would never be 95 running through Boston, it would have transitioned easily enough.
Actually, once AASHO approved the revised I-95 routing along MA 128 between Canton and Peabody, MassDPW began changing 128 markers to 95 shields on BGS signs and route assemblies.  About six months in, due to protests from legislators and local officials, the conversion was stopped.  Where BGSes had been changed to I-95, MassDPW installed supplemental 128 assemblies.  Where BGSes still stated 128, they installed supplemental I-95 assemblies.  The use of I-95 on BGSes and LGSes and supplemental 128 assemblies wasn't standardized through the corridor until the sign replacement projects in the 1990s, when the FHWA regional office issued their directive that 128 would no longer appear on any green guide signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on October 22, 2016, 12:56:32 PM
The lonely erroneous South US 3 reassurance marker on MA 3 after the MA 14 exit in Duxbury has now been joined by another one after the next exit, MA 3A to MA 53:

At this rate of sign replacement, maybe MA 3 will become US 3 in about 50-100 years...
Update. I traveled past the location of the second US 3 sign on Sunday northbound. The US 3 shield has been replaced by a MA 3 one. Was not able to tell whether the first one had been switched as well.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on October 15, 2016, 12:56:42 PM
It is unlikely the I-93 signs will be activated in their entirety any time soon since there are two signs along the SE Expressway in Boston yet to be placed. I did spot one sign on I-95 South in Needham that was partially activated last evening, but none of the others south of there were on.
From traveling around the Boston area this weekend, it appears most of the travel time signs have been activated, including on I-93. Here's the last I-93 sign southbound in Milton:

I have posted new photos taken of the Real Time Traffic signs along I-195 East and MA 3 on my Misc. Mass. Sign photos page, Section B:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/miscsigns.html

southshore720

I find the VMS minute numbers very difficult to read on these signs, both during the day and at night.  The LEDs are not bright enough.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: southshore720 on November 14, 2016, 11:55:06 AM
I find the VMS minute numbers very difficult to read on these signs, both during the day and at night.  The LEDs are not bright enough.

Completely agree.  I was surprised again by this the other night.  Needs tweaking.

mass_citizen

I too noticed the white LED's are extremely hard to read. However there are a few slightly older installations on the south shore/cape that have orange LED's and they are clear as can be.

Pete from Boston

southshore720

How many checks in the process are there from draft to manufacturing?  And are the folks who install the signage illiterate?  Wouldn't they alert someone to the fact that the sign was completely incorrect before erecting it?  Signage mistakes like these boggle me.

NE2

People learn not to question their bosses for fear of being fired. Welcome to modern day employment.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on November 23, 2016, 03:33:52 PM
How many checks in the process are there from draft to manufacturing?  And are the folks who install the signage illiterate?  Wouldn't they alert someone to the fact that the sign was completely incorrect before erecting it?  Signage mistakes like these boggle me.
At MassDOT, there are at least two chances during the design process to catch guide sign legend errors - at the intermediate and final design reviews (guide sign specific projects - which the Faunce Corner Road work was not one of - offer an additional opportunity at the preliminary design stage).  Once the project goes into construction, the final chance to catch a legend error is during review of the fabricator's sign face drawings.  Assuming that both the original design plans and/or the initial or revised fabricator's drawings have correctly spelled and formatted legends, it is the final responsibility of the project resident engineer or their inspector/designee to verify that the legend on a finished sign is correct just before installation.            http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/engineeringDirectives/2008/e-08-002.pdf

I have no knowledge of what internal procedures, if any, that MassDOT's approved sign fabricators may or may not have regarding QA/QC for fabricating sign panels.  However, I would doubt that the laborers who actually install the signs would be tasked with final QA/QC, and should not be expected to perform this task.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 22, 2016, 04:03:18 PM

Completely agree.  I was surprised again by this the other night.  Needs tweaking.
I've been noticing the same thing.  Apparently, the white LED displays (as opposed to the amber displays used on the signs on Cape Cod) are an MUTCD requirement for such "hybrid" signs - the rationale being so they can match the white sign lettering.  In spite of this, personally, I think they should have stuck with amber for the current contract.  Although one hopes MassDOT can make the white displays brighter, I suspect the result will be displays that are much harsher on the eyes at night than amber would have been.

connroadgeek

Quote from: roadman on December 02, 2016, 12:51:59 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 22, 2016, 04:03:18 PM

I've been noticing the same thing.  Apparently, the white LED displays (as opposed to the amber displays used on the signs on Cape Cod) are an MUTCD requirement for such "hybrid" signs - the rationale being so they can match the white sign lettering.  In spite of this, personally, I think they should have stuck with amber for the current contract.  Although one hopes MassDOT can make the white displays brighter, I suspect the result will be displays that are much harsher on the eyes at night than amber would have been.
When did that become a requirement because New York uses the amber for such signs. We've got a bunch of those in the NYC area giving the time to a particular bridge or airport via different routes.

Pete from Boston

I'm no expert on LEDs, but I would expect that these are able to be adjusted to a higher intensity without being glaring.  As they are now, it's almost as if nobody looked at them from a few hundred yards away before installing them.

mass_citizen

PHLBOS

Quote from: mass_citizen on December 08, 2016, 02:34:03 AM
http://www.universalhub.com/2016/its-long-way-tipperary-and-newport-or

I believe there is also a sign link this on US 6 in Provincetown
There's now a Thread covering the newly-erected US 20 termini signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

MassDOT plans to announce the winning bidder this Tuesday for the project that will provide 'Retroreflective Sign Replacements and Upgrades at Various Locations' in Division 5 (the South Shore and Cape Cod). The contract is part of a new MassDOT system that has had the agency identify each sign and then determine, based on its condition, whether it needs replacing. The contractor then only produces and installs those signs, instead of replacing all of them along given highway or district, hopefully saving time and money. (Roadman, as the project engineer can hopefully provide more details.) The project bid page:
https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-17-1030-0H100-0H002-00000009785&external=true&parentUrl=bid

The bid page has a link to the Sign Summary Sheet listing the signs to be replaced. Based on my perusal of the list for my local area, it appears the plan calls for replacing existing  MA 228 signs at the Derby and Whiting street (MA 53) intersection in Hingham. Derby St. has not been the official route of MA 228 since the 1990's and the Mass. Guide (Paddle) signs at the intersections were revised a few years ago to indicate this by removing the 228 shields and replacing them with Derby Street:

The existing signs were not removed, however, and the plan indicates all the 53 and 228 signs will both be replaced (along with the South banner), including this one:

and the listing also says the existing support post will remain(?).

Meanwhile, there is no apparent plan to replace any of the MA 228 shields along Main Street, many of which date back to the late 1970s. While some are in good condition, there are several that are hard to see at night. Saving money is all and good, but if spent, it is helpful to chose the right things to spend it on. Perhaps the 228 shields meant for Derby Street can be repurposed for use elsewhere?

roadman

The project bob7374 mentioned is the second of an eventual five District-wide projects to be advertised by MassDOT for the replacement of various guide, route, regulatory, and warning signs that, based on both daytime and nighttime evaluations, have poor retoreflectivity.  The District 4 contract is in the process of being awarded, and bids on the District 5 contract are being opened on Tuesday, December 20th.  Design work on the remaining projects, one for Districts 1 and 2, one for District 3, and one for District 6, has recently started.  These remaining projects are scheduled to be advertised in early to mid-summer of 2017.

Note that, for those sections of secondary state highway that fall under local jurisdiction, this project will only replace select guide, route marker, and speed limit signs - subject to local approval.  This is why certain signs that may appear to be in poor condition are not currently included in the D5 contract documents.

Federal HSIP funding is being used for all these contracts.

southshore720

I just noticed new BGS overheads for the advance of the new on-ramp to I-295 SB from I-95 SB (Exit 4) at the exit and 1/4 mile mark.  The BGS at the exit is APL per MUTCD and there is also a separate new APL trailblazer for I-95 SB next to it.  An early teaser for the eventual sign-replacement project on that stretch.

Yet, Exits 7A and Exit 1 on I-95 SB still remain without any signage indicating the exit and will likely stay that way until the replacement.  (Exit 7A was an obvious gantry fail.)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on December 17, 2016, 05:59:50 PM
The project bob7374 mentioned is the second of an eventual five District-wide projects to be advertised by MassDOT for the replacement of various guide, route, regulatory, and warning signs that, based on both daytime and nighttime evaluations, have poor retoreflectivity.  The District 4 contract is in the process of being awarded, and bids on the District 5 contract are being opened on Tuesday, December 20th.  Design work on the remaining projects, one for Districts 1 and 2, one for District 3, and one for District 6, has recently started.  These remaining projects are scheduled to be advertised in early to mid-summer of 2017.

Note that, for those sections of secondary state highway that fall under local jurisdiction, this project will only replace select guide, route marker, and speed limit signs - subject to local approval.  This is why certain signs that may appear to be in poor condition are not currently included in the D5 contract documents.

Thanks for the response. So have the signs on the proposed list, if they are on state highways under local control, been approved by the town or are they still to be submitted for approval? In other words, who should be contacted to make sure current erroneous signs are taken down but not replaced?

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on December 19, 2016, 05:32:22 PM
I just noticed new BGS overheads for the advance of the new on-ramp to I-295 SB from I-95 SB (Exit 4) at the exit and 1/4 mile mark.  The BGS at the exit is APL per MUTCD and there is also a separate new APL trailblazer for I-95 SB next to it.  An early teaser for the eventual sign-replacement project on that stretch.

Yet, Exits 7A and Exit 1 on I-95 SB still remain without any signage indicating the exit and will likely stay that way until the replacement.  (Exit 7A was an obvious gantry fail.)
The new overhead BGSes at I-295 are NOT APLs, but standard lane assignment signs.  These signs were installed as part of the I-295 interchange reconstruction, and reflect the new two lane exit ramp, and were put in as a stop-gap measure until the next sign update project - scheduled for 2018-2019.

The gantry and sign at Exit 7A will likely be replaced prior to the next sign update through the Accident Recovery program.  Not sure about Exit 1.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on December 19, 2016, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 17, 2016, 05:59:50 PM

Thanks for the response. So have the signs on the proposed list, if they are on state highways under local control, been approved by the town or are they still to be submitted for approval? In other words, who should be contacted to make sure current erroneous signs are taken down but not replaced?
Signs on state highways under local control that are slated for replacement under the contract have already been approved by the local town.  I would contact the local town, as well as cc'ing District 5, regarding any additional guide or route marker signs you believe should be replaced or changed.

roadman

Update - Bids on the District 5 secondary state highway sign replacement contract were opened.  RoadSafe Traffic Systems of Avon, MA is the apparent low bidder.

bob7374

With the start of the New Year, some questions about Massachusetts roads that I hope will be answered during 2017 (feel free to add your own, or answer them, if already known):
1. Will MassDOT come to a decision regarding installation of milepost based exit numbers, or will they continue to 'study the issue'?
2. Will the I-90 sign replacement projects (whichever numbers are used) be substantially completed?
3. Given the progress in widening I-95/128 south of the new Kendrick Street exit in the Add-A-Lane work zone, will MassDOT open the fourth lane prior to the rest of the project being completed north to MA 9?
4. On a related note, is there any plan to add mileposts to the sections of the Add-A-Lane project zone where work has been completed, or will this wait until the entire project is finished? (IMHO there's no reason mile markers on I-93 between I-95 and MA 24 could not be placed now).
5. What are the major highway projects to be let during the next year?

bob7374

I took a New Year's road trip to check out progress on MassDOT's I-95 Add-Lane project in Needham and Wellesley. Northbound traffic is now using part of a new bridge over MA 9 in Wellesley:

Other photos can be found in the Add-A-Lane section of my I-95 in Mass. photo page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

KEVIN_224

Funny how I'm more interested with the transmitters in those pictures! I think one of them is the so-called "FM 128" tower in Needham. At least four TV stations are on that including WBZ-TV (CBS) channel 4 of Boston. I'm not on that section of I-95/MA 128 that often, however.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.