News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tidewater to Atlanta

Started by Thing 342, September 06, 2014, 10:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

This August, I went on a trip to Atlanta in order to attend my sister's convocation at Georgia Tech.
Part 1 - http://www.thing342.us/2014/09/trip-to-atlanta-august-2014-part-1-of-2/
Part 2 - http://www.thing342.us/2014/09/trip-to-atlanta-august-2014-part-2-of-2/

NJRoadfan

Handy Tip: You can avoid the VA-895 tolls by taking I-295 to VA-10 West. It might even be quicker since I-295 has a 70mph speed limit the whole way.

Thing 342

I know, but that section of VA-10 tends to get backed up during rush hour (was about 8am when I came through). Plus you basically go as fast as you want on 895 as there's almost zero traffic.

Tom958

Thanks, Thing 342! I've done Atlanta-Hampton/Newport News about a zillion times, though I haven't been that way in a decade or more. I'm a big fan of US 58 for that trip, too, especially since the MMBT was opened.

[size-x-small]Fun fact: The "Merrimac" was actually named the Virginia when the famous battle occurred. But you knew that, right?[/size]

The northern beginning of I-85 is signed as a single lane drop? I wouldn't have expected that, especially since it seems to have been constructed to provide an optional lane. Perhaps the optional lane was signed at one point, then the signage was redone to address an operational issue.

There's something similar at the northern end of I-185 in Georgia: There's a third lane that begins not too far upstream from the 85-185 split, but it's the return ramp from a truck weigh station. Painting an optional lane at the 85-185 split would allow 185-bound motorists to remain in the center lane, thereby interfering with the leftward lane change required for trucks to access 85.

I don't see a similar situation here, though.  :hmmm:

Three dropped lanes, and a rogue APL sign to boot! I wouldn't have expected that, either. The screwy NC control cities were all too predictable, though.  :no:

Thing 342

Tom958

Quote from: Thing 342I-85 S near Spartanburg, SC. I-85 was placed onto a bypass of Spartanburg in 1995, leaving behind a buisness loop and orphaning I-585.

That's not the Spartanburg Bypass. The Spartanburg Bypass has a wideish grassed median with a cable rail barrier. This photo is actually between US 29 and US 76 opposite Anderson. The jersey barrier is one hint; the northbound roadway being asphalt while the southbound is concrete is a dead giveaway.

The median of the Spartanburg Bypass is kind of an odd width. To me, it looks as though it was designed for four lanes with the 70 foot plus median used in SC since the late '60's, but before construction started it was decided to go with six lanes without increasing the overall cross section.

Quote from: Thing 342I-75 N at GA-280. This is one of the widest sections of highway in the world, carrying 9 lanes each direction.

Actually, it's eight northbound and seven southbound. Adding HOV lanes to the Downtown Connector created a section with eight lanes in each direction, though it never received the notoriety of its suburban cousin.

Quote from: Thing 342I have never been able to figure out why this route is locally referred to as GA-400, despite US-19 being a more major route. The Stone Mountain Freeway isn't known as GA-410, so why is it here?

It's because US 19 wasn't moved onto GA 400 until several years after the initial sections were opened. After that, the extension within 285 was debated for many years, and was never known as US 19 because it was proposed as a toll road. GA 400 has been burned into the public mind for decades, and it's not going anywhere, even though it arguably should.

Thing 342

Quote from: Tom958 on September 07, 2014, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: Thing 342I-85 S near Spartanburg, SC. I-85 was placed onto a bypass of Spartanburg in 1995, leaving behind a buisness loop and orphaning I-585.

That's not the Spartanburg Bypass. The Spartanburg Bypass has a wideish grassed median with a cable rail barrier. This photo is actually between US 29 and US 76 opposite Anderson. The jersey barrier is one hint; the northbound roadway being asphalt while the southbound is concrete is a dead giveaway.

The median of the Spartanburg Bypass is kind of an odd width. To me, it looks as though it was designed for four lanes with the 70 foot plus median used in SC since the late '60's, but before construction started it was decided to go with six lanes without increasing the overall cross section.

Quote from: Thing 342I-75 N at GA-280. This is one of the widest sections of highway in the world, carrying 9 lanes each direction.

Actually, it's eight northbound and seven southbound. Adding HOV lanes to the Downtown Connector created a section with eight lanes in each direction, though it never received the notoriety of its suburban cousin.

Quote from: Thing 342I have never been able to figure out why this route is locally referred to as GA-400, despite US-19 being a more major route. The Stone Mountain Freeway isn't known as GA-410, so why is it here?

It's because US 19 wasn't moved onto GA 400 until several years after the initial sections were opened. After that, the extension within 285 was debated for many years, and was never known as US 19 because it was proposed as a toll road. GA 400 has been burned into the public mind for decades, and it's not going anywhere, even though it arguably should.

Thanks for pointing out my lack of quality control. Edited my post.

Tom958

QC, poo. I'm glad you posted. After all, what's more fun for a roadgeek than road-related pedantry? :clap:

froggie

QuoteGA-515 runs between Jasper and the North Carolina border. It is concurrent with another route (first GA-5, then US-76) for its entire length.

You missed GA 17, which it follows for it's last mile-and-change into North Carolina.  It does not follow US 76 into NC.

Tom958

Quote from: froggie on September 07, 2014, 08:32:47 PMYou missed GA 17, which it follows for it's last mile-and-change into North Carolina.  It does not follow US 76 into NC.

I saw that, too, but i decided to show some mercy.   :rolleyes:

There's an excellent home cookin' place on the corner of US 76 and GA 17 (or of GA 515 and itself  :-D ). I recommend the liver and onions, if you like liver.

GeorgeCurios

Man last time I went to Atlanta was like 5 years ago I went to visit my sister but since I was traveling from LA I had to take a flight and a car service in atlanta airport to get to my sister's house but someday I will take a road trip over there  :cool:.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.