News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

West Milwaukee should rename it to "Harnishfeger Blvd". ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tchafe1978

https://www.facebook.com/statetrunktour/posts/10159194430225522

Signs are now up for Brewers Blvd. I think it should be named after Bob Uecker, long time Brewers broadcaster.

SEWIGuy

I would name it after Aaron before Uecker.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 04, 2021, 09:02:11 AM
I would name it after Aaron before Uecker.
There might be some confusion about the Hank Aaron State Trail that crosses it, though.

SM-N986U1

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 27, 2021, 04:13:34 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on January 27, 2021, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 27, 2021, 10:11:19 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but the Milwaukee portion of Miller Park Way will be renamed "Brewers Blvd."  However the West Milwaukee portion will stay Miller Park Way.

https://www.wisn.com/article/part-of-miller-park-way-to-get-name-change/35219257#

What they should have done is name the highway portion (between I-94 and National Avenue) Brewers Blvd., but revert the portion south of there back to its original name - 43rd Street.
West Milwaukee declined to change the name.

SM-N986U1

Right I know.  Which they did for short term reasons that in the long term is going to seem really wierd.
Miller Park Way is the major commercial district that passes through West Milwaukee. Not only would all the street signs have to be changed, but all of the businesses would have to update as well.

The Village does have a long history of thumbing their noses at the City of Milwaukee. When Milwaukee wanted to turn that entire strip into the Stadium South freeway, West Milwaukee refused to let it be built within the village limits. Which is why the freeway ends at National Ave. and continues as MPW (S. 43rd St).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: FightingIrish on February 04, 2021, 09:24:02 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 27, 2021, 04:13:34 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on January 27, 2021, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 27, 2021, 10:11:19 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but the Milwaukee portion of Miller Park Way will be renamed "Brewers Blvd."  However the West Milwaukee portion will stay Miller Park Way.

https://www.wisn.com/article/part-of-miller-park-way-to-get-name-change/35219257#

What they should have done is name the highway portion (between I-94 and National Avenue) Brewers Blvd., but revert the portion south of there back to its original name - 43rd Street.
West Milwaukee declined to change the name.

SM-N986U1

Right I know.  Which they did for short term reasons that in the long term is going to seem really wierd.
Miller Park Way is the major commercial district that passes through West Milwaukee. Not only would all the street signs have to be changed, but all of the businesses would have to update as well.

The Village does have a long history of thumbing their noses at the City of Milwaukee. When Milwaukee wanted to turn that entire strip into the Stadium South freeway, West Milwaukee refused to let it be built within the village limits. Which is why the freeway ends at National Ave. and continues as MPW (S. 43rd St).

Oh I know.  My wife went to the now defunct West Milwaukee High School and our first apartment was just blocks away from MPW.  I just think the long run changing it is worth the short term cost.  Reasonable minds can disagree.

But I thought the problem wasn't West Milwaukee - the ROW was cleared and everything.  I thought the problem was that south of Lincoln you have the nice Jackson Park neighborhood, which I think is in Milwaukee, and they put a stop to it.

And they were right.  The Stadium Freeway would have been terrible.  Absolutely not necessary.

peterj920

Wis 175 is fully signed with the change to Brewers Blvd.

peterj920

The VMS signs on The Beltline are informing of lane closures starting March 1st. Next week the flex lane project begins!

thspfc

Quote from: peterj920 on February 22, 2021, 11:45:22 PM
The VMS signs on The Beltline are informing of lane closures starting March 1st. Next week the flex lane project begins!
The flex lane idea is cool, but I wish WISDOT would just rip the band-aid off and expand it to 10 lanes, or build elevated express/HOV lanes but that would be much more expensive I presume.

JoePCool14

I'm out of the loop here, what beltline are you talking about?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

thspfc

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 23, 2021, 10:38:15 AM

I'm out of the loop here, what beltline are you talking about?
Madison. Everyone from around here calls US-12 around the city "The Beltline" . US-14, US-18, and US-151 are all on it for a little while as well.

The Ghostbuster

I agree the flex lane project is a short-term solution. As for expanding the Beltline to 10 lanes, that would require a great deal of plowing down homes and businesses to implement it. Elevated lanes may work within the corridor, but they should be HOT Lanes or Express Toll Lanes, not HOV or Carpool Lanes.

I-39

Quote from: thspfc on February 23, 2021, 08:58:45 AM
but I wish WISDOT would just rip the band-aid off and expand it to 10 lanes, or build elevated express/HOV lanes but that would be much more expensive I presume.

In Madison, WI? Haha, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than this happening.

SSOWorld

Quote from: I-39 on February 23, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
but I wish WISDOT would just rip the band-aid off and expand it to 10 lanes, or build elevated express/HOV lanes but that would be much more expensive I presume.

In Madison, WI? Haha, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than this happening.
The lack of available right-of-way doesn't help matters.

WisDOT is also not very good at upgrading ever since the Walker took their budget away.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

I-39

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 23, 2021, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: I-39 on February 23, 2021, 02:38:15 PM

The lack of available right-of-way doesn't help matters.

WisDOT is also not very good at upgrading ever since the Walker took their budget away.

Yes, but Doyle taking away the gas tax index didn't help either. Also, a lot of money was spent elsewhere that should've been spent fixing the Beltline.

My comment was more aimed at because Madison is super liberal, there would be mass opposition to a 5 lane in each direction widening.

SEWIGuy

The political sh*tstorm around the I-94 expansion on the west side of Milwaukee has been huge.

It would pale in comparison to the sh*tstorm around a proposed expansion of the Beltline.  Not only because Madison is more liberal, but because there is very little room.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 24, 2021, 09:09:22 AM
The political sh*tstorm around the I-94 expansion on the west side of Milwaukee has been huge.

It would pale in comparison to the sh*tstorm around a proposed expansion of the Beltline.  Not only because Madison is more liberal, but because there is very little room.
Fair point by I-39. Freeway expansion doesn't come easy in Madison.

I-39

Quote from: thspfc on February 25, 2021, 07:21:13 PM

Never understood why they scaled back the I-39/90/Beltline interchange. The original proposal was much better.

thspfc

Quote from: I-39 on February 25, 2021, 11:20:12 PM

Never understood why they scaled back the I-39/90/Beltline interchange. The original proposal was much better.
That's not as urgent as the Beltline itself. The interchange is functional as is. Only thing that needs to be done is elimination of the lane drop on 39/90 SB.

peterj920

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2021, 07:38:21 AM

That's not as urgent as the Beltline itself. The interchange is functional as is. Only thing that needs to be done is elimination of the lane drop on 39/90 SB.

The interchange will work better with the lane drop. With the large volume of traffic merging from The Beltline traffic will flow better by adding the lane back after the merge.  If two lanes from The Beltline had to merge into 3 full lanes it would cause more problems. 

thspfc

Quote from: peterj920 on February 26, 2021, 11:10:47 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2021, 07:38:21 AM

The interchange will work better with the lane drop. With the large volume of traffic merging from The Beltline traffic will flow better by adding the lane back after the merge.  If two lanes from The Beltline had to merge into 3 full lanes it would cause more problems.
Then expand 39/90 to eight lanes up to I-94. It would be entirely through swampland that isn't protected or anything. Whichever way you slice it, there needs to be six through lanes of 39/90 all the way through.

Revive 755

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2021, 06:49:22 PM
Then expand 39/90 to eight lanes up to I-94. It would be entirely through swampland that isn't protected or anything. Whichever way you slice it, there needs to be six through lanes of 39/90 all the way through.

The swampland probably qualifies as protected wetlands that would require mitigation.

thspfc

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 26, 2021, 10:14:26 PM

The swampland probably qualifies as protected wetlands that would require mitigation.
The swampland that is . . . underneath a six lane freeway and surrounded by factories and office buildings?

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on February 27, 2021, 09:21:16 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on February 26, 2021, 10:14:26 PM

The swampland that is . . . underneath a six lane freeway and surrounded by factories and office buildings?
Doesn't matter, still requires mitigation
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 39/90 from STH 30/Interstate 94 to US 12/18 was expanded from four to six lanes in 1998. It will probably remain that way for some time to come (and possibly always will be). There is a pavement patching project proposed along this stretch, with construction planned for 2026 (though it could be bumped up to as soon as next year): https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i39-danecounty/default.aspx. Outside of that, nothing else is planned for this stretch of Interstate 39/90, although I wish they would add a second bridge (for eastbound traffic) to the existing Cottage Grove Road/CTH BB overpass: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0845454,-89.2836542,422m/data=!3m1!1e3. The roadway is four lanes west of the Interstate, and was recently expanded to four lanes east of the Interstate to Sprecher Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.