AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Washington  (Read 196344 times)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 04:35:13 AM
Re: Washington
« Reply #1150 on: April 18, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »

It seems like they should also add a GP lane or two while they’re at it.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 05:11:52 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #1151 on: April 18, 2022, 06:37:56 PM »

That would require rebuilding the bridges across the Snohomish River, Union Slough, Ebey Slough, and Steamboat Slough. Not to mention rebuilding the section through Everett again. All expensive and much more disruptive for little to no benefit.

We don't want to turn even more of SnoCo into endless sprawl. 6 lanes + 2 HOV is enough for our needs.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #1152 on: April 18, 2022, 06:46:43 PM »

That would require rebuilding the bridges across the Snohomish River, Union Slough, Ebey Slough, and Steamboat Slough. Not to mention rebuilding the section through Everett again. All expensive and much more disruptive for little to no benefit.

We don't want to turn even more of SnoCo into endless sprawl. 6 lanes + 2 HOV is enough for our needs.
I disagree. It would be worth it and the traffic shows. That stretch gets clogged too often.

compdude787

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 03:39:04 AM
« Reply #1153 on: April 18, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »

I disagree. It would be worth it and the traffic shows. That stretch gets clogged too often.
Just an extra northbound lane is really all that's needed. That will eliminate the chokepoint just south of the Snohomish River Bridge. I don't think I've experienced too many backups going southbound.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #1154 on: April 18, 2022, 10:34:38 PM »

Just an extra northbound lane is really all that's needed. That will eliminate the chokepoint just south of the Snohomish River Bridge. I don't think I've experienced too many backups going southbound.
Yeah NB is really where it’s needed the most.

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:42 AM
« Reply #1155 on: April 18, 2022, 11:32:31 PM »

WSDOT has awarded a $123 million contract for the I-5 HOV extension to Marysville and new ramps at SR 529. Set to begin construction this year and be complete by 2025.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/i-5-hov-lane-highway-529-interchange-work-to-start-this-year/

Woo!

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: May 15, 2022, 11:58:09 PM
« Reply #1156 on: April 19, 2022, 12:02:59 AM »

Induced demand is a thing, but they should also improve the SR-9 corridor for N-S traffic.  I do think HOV lanes should be extended all the way to Smokey Point, but there's no real way to widen the bridge over the Snohomish River, so will it just be 2 GP and 1 HOV? 
Take the road less traveled.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #1157 on: April 19, 2022, 01:03:35 AM »

It's really only the Boeing traffic that clogs it, plus anomalies like Tulip Festival. Otherwise it's as normal as other sections and doesn't warrant expensive expansions that sap funding from much needed work elsewhere (SR 529's bridges will soon be due for major replacement, for example).

Induced demand is a thing, but they should also improve the SR-9 corridor for N-S traffic.  I do think HOV lanes should be extended all the way to Smokey Point, but there's no real way to widen the bridge over the Snohomish River, so will it just be 2 GP and 1 HOV? 

The shoulders and lane widths are being shaved to fit in the extra HOV lane, which I'm not all that enthused about. The narrowed lanes are definitely going to cause some side-swipes judging by how erratic the drivers in the area normally are.

Extending to Smokey Point would be unnecessary for now, as traffic doesn't normally jam up beyond SR 528. SR 9 needs more roundabouts and some passing sections, but otherwise doesn't need to be more expressway-like.

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: May 15, 2022, 11:58:09 PM
« Reply #1158 on: April 19, 2022, 01:22:16 AM »

The shoulders and lane widths are being shaved to fit in the extra HOV lane, which I'm not all that enthused about. The narrowed lanes are definitely going to cause some side-swipes judging by how erratic the drivers in the area normally are.
I had the same thought for I-90 through Mercer Island, but it's not too bad.  Honestly, narrower lanes will make people less comfortable speeding.  As long as the lanes are at least 12'. 

Extending to Smokey Point would be unnecessary for now, as traffic doesn't normally jam up beyond SR 528. SR 9 needs more roundabouts and some passing sections, but otherwise doesn't need to be more expressway-like.
When I go hiking on Mtn. Loop Hwy, it's always a nightmare at Lake Stevens, but the two signals next to each other on 204 and 9 are awful. 

Seems like there were plans to extend SR-92 west to I-5 looking at the signals stubs.  Probably would help with all of the mining trucks and Seattle hikers if they made 92 go to 5.   
Take the road less traveled.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #1159 on: April 19, 2022, 04:32:56 PM »

I had the same thought for I-90 through Mercer Island, but it's not too bad.  Honestly, narrower lanes will make people less comfortable speeding.  As long as the lanes are at least 12'. 

I-90 drivers are a bit different than I-5 drivers. The narrowed lanes between Shoreline and Mountlake Terrace are nerve-wracking to drive through.

Seems like there were plans to extend SR-92 west to I-5 looking at the signals stubs.  Probably would help with all of the mining trucks and Seattle hikers if they made 92 go to 5.   

There's no viable way to get SR 92 all the way to I-5. The current plan is to extend a city street to SR 92 and connect with 83rd Avenue, which would allow for access to Sunnyside Blvd. via several narrow country roads.

Bickendan

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:55 AM
« Reply #1160 on: April 19, 2022, 04:51:08 PM »

If you're at 6+2 and arguing for further widening, it's time to improve rail transit, both passenger and freight, because in addition to the costs of the larger ROW footprint, the threshold of diminishing returns is rapidly approaching in terms of flow and capacity.

stevashe

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 08:52:47 PM
« Reply #1161 on: April 19, 2022, 04:55:29 PM »

Haha about that, the standard lane width is 12'... these narrowed lanes will only be 11. But you are saying I-90 across Mercer Island is okay and those lanes are also only 11', for reference.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #1162 on: April 19, 2022, 05:05:35 PM »

If you're at 6+2 and arguing for further widening, it's time to improve rail transit, both passenger and freight, because in addition to the costs of the larger ROW footprint, the threshold of diminishing returns is rapidly approaching in terms of flow and capacity.

Exactly. The Snohomish River Delta is one of the natural barriers that make for ideal transit markets. A public-private split to build replacements for the aging BNSF bridges with a DMU-based Sounder service to feed Link light rail at Everett Station would be a huge boost in capacity.

bubblewhale

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 11:30:59 PM
« Reply #1163 on: April 26, 2022, 03:06:49 AM »

Typically, it isn't too bad going SB for most part, but I'd agree that NB would need some leeway. Last year NB was rough when they'd started to repaint Stillaguamish and backups started around US2/Marine View with pockets in between. I usually don't think it's too bad once you make it past Marine View, since the section is alright if there weren't any odd events happening.

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Last Login: May 18, 2022, 08:22:22 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #1164 on: May 12, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »

Cross-post from the 509/167 thread:

New visualisations of the 509 extension at 188th and 160th.

Slight change to the interchange design at 188th (1/4 partial cloverleaf with roundabouts) and some new roundabouts at the existing partial cloverleaf at 160th.

Warning for the cartographers: both visuals are south-up, confusingly.

SR 509 Completion Project Visualization: SR 509/South 160th Street Interchange by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

SR 509 Completion Project Visualization: SR 509/South 188th Street Interchange by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr
Check out my Flickr | Add me on Facebook!

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #1165 on: May 17, 2022, 03:20:44 PM »

Metro Tacoma Parks is permanently closing the outer loop of File Mile Drive at Point Defiance Park to vehicle traffic due to erosion and slope instability. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and others on non-motorized wheels are allowed to continue using the scenic loop. Takes effect on May 20.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/matt-driscoll/article261496027.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.