News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 41 Twin Bridges: Northbound bridge reconfigured for 3 lanes (1 SB, 2 NB)

Started by jnewkirk77, September 29, 2023, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

With the southbound US 41 bridge between Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY down to one narrowed lane due to a lengthy inspection, KYTC has reconfigured the northbound bridge to carry one southbound lane and relieve some of the congestion.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/local/2023/09/28/one-southbound-lane-to-be-added-to-northbound-u-s-41-twin-bridge-henderson-evansville/70982767007/

This was done some years ago during the last repainting, and helped keep traffic flowing.

The Ghostbuster

Since the Twin Bridges are planned to eventually be reduced to one lane in each direction, I assume one of the existing lanes (probably the right lane) will be converted into an emergency shoulder. Since the existing bridges were opened in 1932 (northbound bridge) and 1965 (southbound bridge), I would imagine that they would one day need to be replaced, even with the construction of the Interstate 69 Bridge to the east. Also, when did the Twin Bridges get the Bi-State Vietnam Gold Star Bridges name?

jnewkirk77

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 01:34:58 PM
Since the Twin Bridges are planned to eventually be reduced to one lane in each direction, I assume one of the existing lanes (probably the right lane) will be converted into an emergency shoulder. Since the existing bridges were opened in 1932 (northbound bridge) and 1965 (southbound bridge), I would imagine that they would one day need to be replaced, even with the construction of the Interstate 69 Bridge to the east. Also, when did the Twin Bridges get the Bi-State Vietnam Gold Star Bridges name?

The 1965 bridge will be demolished after the I-69 bridge opens, if the current plans hold, leaving only the older bridge. Since we know that the 3-lane layout is workable on the 1932 bridge, my personal preference would be that they make it a 3-lane with the center being reversible based on time of day (i.e. AM rush = northbound, PM rush = southbound).

The Bi-State Vietnam Gold Star Bridges name was given to them in ceremonies held on May 31, 1969. Frank Boyett of the Henderson Gleaner wrote a column in 2019 that tells about it: https://www.thegleaner.com/story/news/2019/05/23/boyett-twin-bridges-renamed-1969-honor-vietnam-war-dead/1208751001/

tdindy88

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on September 29, 2023, 02:35:29 PM
The 1965 bridge will be demolished after the I-69 bridge opens, if the current plans hold, leaving only the older bridge. Since we know that the 3-lane layout is workable on the 1932 bridge, my personal preference would be that they make it a 3-lane with the center being reversible based on time of day (i.e. AM rush = northbound, PM rush = southbound).

Someone needs to seriously propose that idea to the I-69 Ohio River Bridge people. That sounds like an amazing idea. Even if there can't be four lanes of traffic between Henderson and Evansville, a reversible lane system should be helpful.

JREwing78

It might be "workable", but I wouldn't want to do that unless the traffic volumes truly are that horrible after the I-69 bridge opens.

Right now? They have no alternative crossing to send people over, so they're forced to do this. But it doesn't make it a good long-term solution. Jamming 3 10' lanes across leaves no margin of error to avoid collisions.

I also suspect, once given the option, folks will opt to pay the toll v.s. sitting in long backups to save a couple bucks.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 29, 2023, 06:24:00 PM
It might be "workable", but I wouldn't want to do that unless the traffic volumes truly are that horrible after the I-69 bridge opens.

Right now? They have no alternative crossing to send people over, so they're forced to do this. But it doesn't make it a good long-term solution. Jamming 3 10' lanes across leaves no margin of error to avoid collisions.

I also suspect, once given the option, folks will opt to pay the toll v.s. sitting in long backups to save a couple bucks.

Good point. But if the volumes on the Glover Cary and William Natcher bridges at Owensboro are any indication, don't count on 41 getting much less busy. In their most recent counts, the Cary (a/k/a the Blue Bridge) sees only 1,500 fewer vehicles per day than the Natcher does, and that's 20 years after the Natcher opened.

Anthony_JK

Why not just simply leave the Twin Bridges as is, reduce the lane width to 11', and add ped/bike access for downtown Henderson and Evansville? I really don't see the need to tear down even one span, since the I-69 bridge will serve mostly through and heavy truck traffic anyway.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 30, 2023, 05:38:29 PM
Why not just simply leave the Twin Bridges as is, reduce the lane width to 11', and add ped/bike access for downtown Henderson and Evansville? I really don't see the need to tear down even one span, since the I-69 bridge will serve mostly through and heavy truck traffic anyway.

Not wanting to keep an extra bridge and its maintenance costs on the books if they feel it won't be needed anymore.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JREwing78

Quote from: 3467 on September 30, 2023, 05:27:08 PM
Do you know how wide those lanes are?

Per Google Maps measurements, the roadway is approx 30'-32' wide, or enough for 2 12' lanes with 3'-4' shoulders.

jnewkirk77

Traffic is returning to normal on the "twins" as the nearly 2-month long inspection process wrapped up about 10 days early.

https://www.14news.com/2023/11/08/inspections-over-twin-bridges/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.