News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 10/WI 441 upgrade thread!

Started by mgk920, June 26, 2014, 10:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on July 31, 2014, 09:28:35 AM
I note that it now shows the new WB to SB flyover ramp diverging from WB US 10 on the left (all previous layouts showed it diverging on the right).

I completely forgot that they switched it.  The copy I have on my laptop is one I saved in January and it shows the left-hand exit WB.  (The date in the document itself is June of 2013.)
WisDOT must have gotten some new numbers in about how much traffic is turning south vs. how much traffic is continuing west during the course of the design phase.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

^^

I also note that this (diverging on the left) will require less overall bridging than to diverge on the right = less cost.

Mike

mgk920

Over the past couple of weeks or so, piers have begun to appear above grade for a new ramp bridge within the US(I)-41 Bridgeview interchange!
:cheers:
They are for the bridge that will carry the NB to EB ramp over the EB to NB ramp, the CN trackage and paralleling Butte des Morts Beach Rd.

Also, fill is beginning to rise for the approaches to the new paralleling lake bridge, as well as for the EB to NB ramp.  Also over the past week, crews have been digging out the unused 'ghost' fill that once carried the ramp from NB Lake St into the original interchange.  This ramp was abandoned in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

:thumbsup:

Mike

mgk920

Just a quick update, as of yesterday (Thursday, 2014-11-06) there are now eight cranes working on the site.  Some US(I)-41 interchange ramp grading, especially on part of the new EB to NB ramp, is already complete ('graveled') with work continuing on the structure for the NB to EB ramp, along with foundation work on the new eastbound lake bridge.  There are also major lane shifts in most of the directions of existing roadways through the construction zone, as well as across the existing bridge, where the median barrier has been removed and all of the lanes scrunched as far northward as they could go to allow platform space for crews to work on the new parallel bridge.

This project is fast becoming 'interesting'.   :cool:

Mike

GeekJedi

Definitely need to check that out the next time I drop my daughter off at UWO.  It's about time they completed all the movements!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

An update, on Thursday, 2015-06-25, crews set the first beams for the new eastbound Little Butte des Morts bridge.

Also, SB to EB traffic is now using most of the new permanent ramp for that cloverleaf loop turn.

Mike

Roadguy

Quote from: mgk920 on June 27, 2015, 12:08:36 AM
An update, on Thursday, 2015-06-25, crews set the first beams for the new eastbound Little Butte des Morts bridge.

Also, SB to EB traffic is now using most of the new permanent ramp for that cloverleaf loop turn.

Mike

Neat to see it all come together!  Has Appleton Road opened up yet?

mgk920

Quote from: Roadguy on June 27, 2015, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 27, 2015, 12:08:36 AM

Mike

Neat to see it all come together!  Has Appleton Road opened up yet?

WI 47 reopened yesterday (Friday, 2015-06-26).

Mike

mgk920

Some drone video of the newly reopened interchange.  Not as smooth as some of the other clips of the project, but interesting anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDW0u1DcBU

Note the control for US 10/WI 441 west - Stevens Point.

Mike

peterj920

That's the first time I've seen Stevens Point used as a control city.  Also interesting how US 10 east was omitted from the other guide sign.  The exits from Oneida St west are numbered for US 10 while there are also mile markers for WIS 441 which is pretty interesting, wonder why exit numbers were never used for WIS 441 while they made an effort to put exit numbers on the Tri County Freeway for US 10.

JREwing78

Quote from: mgk920 on June 29, 2015, 01:46:28 AM
Some drone video of the newly reopened interchange.  Not as smooth as some of the other clips of the project, but interesting anyways.

Was your drone overloaded or something? It's having a really hard time gaining and maintaining altitude.

Either that, or you like making drivers go "WTF?!?" ;)

mrose

I thought he was gonna take out the McDonald's sign.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mrose on June 29, 2015, 09:44:27 PM
I was hoping :awesomeface:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on June 29, 2015, 02:15:26 AM
That's the first time I've seen Stevens Point used as a control city.  Also interesting how US 10 east was omitted from the other guide sign.  The exits from Oneida St west are numbered for US 10 while there are also mile markers for WIS 441 which is pretty interesting, wonder why exit numbers were never used for WIS 441 while they made an effort to put exit numbers on the Tri County Freeway for US 10.

Stevens Point is also used as a control at the two US 10/45 interchanges.

Mike

DaBigE

Quote from: mrose on June 29, 2015, 09:44:27 PM

More like the McDonald's sign taking out the drone.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on June 29, 2015, 10:52:50 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on June 29, 2015, 02:15:26 AM

Stevens Point is also used as a control at the two US 10/45 interchanges.

Mike

I've seen Stevens Point used west of I-41, but with past signs on 441 I saw either Oshkosh or Milwaukee.  Looks like instead of referencing connections of I-41.

Henry

Wow, that's a very nice-looking interchange at Appleton Road!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Crews have installed the first *new* permanent overhead BGSes in the project.

They are one for the ramp split on the NB I-41 to the future US 10/WI 441 ramps (the NB to EB ramp looks like it will be completed within 1-2 months for a traffic shift), it was installed on Monday.  The left half of the sign, for the incomplete future NB to WB ramp, is greened-out.  Also, a couple of greened-out 'lane ends' overhead signs over the future right lane on NB I-41 north of the interchange were installed a few days ago.

Mike

kutzy7

US 10 should not be upgraded to an interstate anytime in the near future.  The main focus should be on the stevens point section of the highway.  The interchange between I-39 and US 10 is incredibly busy (traffic was backed up about 2 miles on the friday before memorial day).  I suggest a bypass to the south, abandoning the expressway north of Amherst Junction and creating a freeway that meets up with I-39 inbetween County B and County HH at a free-flowing T-interchange.  I drive this corridor a few times a month, and most of the time it makes you feel like :banghead:

peterj920

Quote from: kutzy7 on August 13, 2015, 07:51:55 PM
US 10 should not be upgraded to an interstate anytime in the near future.  The main focus should be on the stevens point section of the highway.  The interchange between I-39 and US 10 is incredibly busy (traffic was backed up about 2 miles on the friday before memorial day).  I suggest a bypass to the south, abandoning the expressway north of Amherst Junction and creating a freeway that meets up with I-39 inbetween County B and County HH at a free-flowing T-interchange.  I drive this corridor a few times a month, and most of the time it makes you feel like :banghead:

There was originally supposed to be a south bypass of Stevens Point of US 10, but the DOT decided to delay it by approximately 20-30 years.  There was a preferred corridor selected to follow pretty much a straight line from the current County K south intersection to I-39.  I cannot find the links to the corridor selection and the news stories because they are over 10 years old.  People in Stevens Point were pretty upset by delaying the project because of how congested US 10 is in Stevens Point.  The reason why Marshfield got the uninterrupted route to I-39 is because the city and politicians stated that Marshfield was the biggest city in Wisconsin without a 4-lane connection, despite the fact that there is more traffic on US 10 east of Stevens Point than to the west.

mgk920

^^
Talk to your legislators about it.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: kutzy7 on August 13, 2015, 07:51:55 PM
The preferred alternative for this currently shelved project is pretty close to what you describe, leaving the existing facility just west of Amherst Junction.

Some r/w for the proposed system interchange is now been made visible by development in the area.

SSOWorld

Now that that space is now occupied by retail it won't happen.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

The ROW by the I-39 interchange is clear and protected. Also, the connection at the east end is different that what you show, there'll be a diamond interchange with a local road by Lake Emily County Park and the existing highway between there and WI 161 will be seriously downgraded (I would fully abandon it and turn the eastbound concrete into a public trail).

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on August 15, 2015, 10:37:41 AM
(I would fully abandon it and turn the eastbound concrete into a public trail).

That would make for a nice loop between the Point area and Amherst Jct with the existing rail-trail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.