News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 62

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 24, 2023, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 62 is a 151-mile State Highway located in Riverside County and San Bernardino County.  California State Route 62 begins at Interstate 10 near San Gorgonio Pass and the western flank of the Sonoran Desert near Whiteriver.  California State Route 62 ascends Morongo Canyon and crosses through the Mojave Desert to an eastern terminus at the Colorado River Bridge at the Arizona state line in Parker.  California State Route 62 was initially defined during 1964 with a terminus in Twentynine Palms.  California State Route 62 was extended to the Arizona state line during 1970. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/04/2016-cross-country-trip-part-5.html?m=1

The Ghostbuster

One thing I find interesting about CA 62 is that it goes by the Joshua Tree National Park. The Joshua Tree (1987) is my favorite U2 album, and Joshua is also my first name.

gonealookin

The Morongo Canyon segment is quite similar to SR 17 through the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Obviously not vegetation-wise but the 4-lane expressways are comparable.

Parts of it from Morongo Valley to Twentynine Palms are a heavily-trafficked grind, in an area where you probably aren't expecting that.

Vidal Junction to the Colorado River has a lot of double-yellow center line due to curves and desert dips.  You can get stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle for quite a while.

Bottom line, that road is not one of my favorites.  Check it off the list and go a different way next time.

Max Rockatansky

The segment east of US 95 to the Arizona state line is my least favorite due to the heavy amount of trucks.  That said, I do use CA 62 east of CA 247 fairly regularly as part of my urban bypass route from the Central Valley to Arizona.  For all the troubles Morongo Canyon and Yucca Valley can present CA 62 is still viable as an escape from I-10 if there is an issue in Coachella Valley.  This of course is only possible if you have knowledge of Dillon Road existing north of I-10...

For what it's worth by new iteration of the great urban bypass from Fresno is:

-  CA 99 south to Bakersfield.
-  CA 58 east to Barstow
-  I-15 to CA 247
-  CA 247 south to Yucca Valley
-  CA 62 and AZ 95T to Parker
-  AZ 95 and AZ 72 to US 60
-  US 60 east to AZ 74
-  AZ 74 east to I-17

Before Kramer Junction and Hinkley were bypassed I tended to drop branch from CA 58 in Mojave.  I used to use CA 14, CA 138 and CA 18 to reach CA 247 in Lucerne Valley.  Having direct east access to the north of terminus of CA 247 made everything more streamlined. 

pderocco

Quote from: gonealookin on May 25, 2023, 08:57:23 PM
The Morongo Canyon segment is quite similar to SR 17 through the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Obviously not vegetation-wise but the 4-lane expressways are comparable.

I wouldn't say so. 62 only has a short winding stretch, with no intersections or interchanges. 17 is a bit scary because it is mostly winding, and full of intersections, including left turns off 17.

Vidal Junction to the Colorado River has a lot of double-yellow center line due to curves and desert dips.  You can get stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle for quite a while.

I rather like it between Twentynine Bombs and US-95. Very deserted, even for a desert road.

It's always struck me as odd that if you want to go up to Amboy, you have to get off 62 EB 11 miles ahead, at Godwin Rd. Ironage Rd is a graded dirt alternative that I use to get between Amboy Rd and the eastern part of 62. That could use a little pavement.

skluth

Quote from: pderocco on May 26, 2023, 01:35:29 AM

I rather like it between Twentynine Bombs and US-95. Very deserted, even for a desert road.

It's always struck me as odd that if you want to go up to Amboy, you have to get off 62 EB 11 miles ahead, at Godwin Rd. Ironage Rd is a graded dirt alternative that I use to get between Amboy Rd and the eastern part of 62. That could use a little pavement.

I agree CA 62 east of Twentynine Palms is incredibly deserted, especially east of the airport. I may have seen six cars total in the couple times I've driven it.

It's best to go north in Twentynine Palms on Adobe Rd (the road to the base) to Amboy Road to get to Amboy. If you somehow miss the lonely stoplight at Adobe Road, Utah Trail also works.

Max Rockatansky

I always used Utah Trail to cut over to Amboy Road.  It was fairly useful when I had to leave work in Laughlin and head to Desert Hot Springs or Riverside.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.