🛣 Headlines About California Highways – May 2023

Started by cahwyguy, May 31, 2023, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Here's something to keep you warm on these cool, cloudy (at least in Southern California) nights. Expect the updates to the California Highway pages once I process these headlines into the pages. That should be the end of the weekend.

Headline Post => https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16547

Ready, set, discuss.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

If memory serves, wasn't much of Interstate 80 and later US 40 along the East Shore Freeway in Berkeley built on reclaimed land?  That being the case I'm not really getting trying to wedge capping or putting I-80 in a tubes into the whole "freeways are destructive to neighborhoods"  narrative. 

Edit:  All the park lands west of I-80 on University is built atop landfill.  Looking at USGS maps the parks appear to have been put in during the 1950s. 

pderocco

I've been unable to find any detailed map of the route 58 truck climbing lane project west of Tehachapi, but the capsule description includes "Removal of the Bena Road at-grade intersection to eliminate conflicts with traffic entering or exiting SR 58." Since the at-grade intersection is with both Bena Rd on the south side, and Bealville Rd on the north side, it sounds like they're just going to turn Bena Rd into a cul-de-sac, and leave the dangerous Bealville Rd intersection, as opposed to creating a grade separated interchange.

I'd like to see real interchanges with both Bealville Rd and route 223 at some point within my lifetime. Those are two crazy intersections.

pderocco

The article about 180 in Kings Canyon says, "Caltrans is closing a portion of the corridor from just east of Hume Lake Road to near Kanawyers." That's kind of silly. If you close any point on that road, it's closed all the way to Kanawyers, because there's no other way to get to Kanawyers. The only meaningful question (other than when it will be fixed) is where does the closure start. Can you get to the King's Canyon Lodge? There are several nice wildflower spots this side of Boyden Cavern.

skluth

Quote from: pderocco on June 04, 2023, 12:24:55 AM
I've been unable to find any detailed map of the route 58 truck climbing lane project west of Tehachapi, but the capsule description includes "Removal of the Bena Road at-grade intersection to eliminate conflicts with traffic entering or exiting SR 58." Since the at-grade intersection is with both Bena Rd on the south side, and Bealville Rd on the north side, it sounds like they're just going to turn Bena Rd into a cul-de-sac, and leave the dangerous Bealville Rd intersection, as opposed to creating a grade separated interchange.

I'd like to see real interchanges with both Bealville Rd and route 223 at some point within my lifetime. Those are two crazy intersections.
The paragraph below is from the Environmental Assessment. The diagram referenced can be found on page 16 of the document.

The Bena Road at-grade intersection (post mile 77.06) will be removed to provide access control. Removing this connection will eliminate cross traffic in an existing conflict area. The leftturn pocket from westbound State Route 58 to Bena Road will be removed, and traffic will be diverted 1.4 miles west to the intersection of State Route 223 and State Route 58. The existing westbound left-turn pocket onto Bena Road will be re-striped to provide an acceleration lane for vehicles exiting Bealville Road to travel eastbound on State Route 58. These modifications to the intersection and proposed access control measures will eliminate an existing conflict area and enhance highway operations. A diagram of the changes is provided in Figure 4.

dbz77

Mod note 6/5/23: Fixed quoting. –Roadfro

Would not a traffic signal be cheaper?

pderocco

Mod note 6/5/23: Fixed quoting, I think. –Roadfro

Quote from: dbz77 on June 04, 2023, 02:08:13 PM

Would not a traffic signal be cheaper?
A four-way stop would be cheaper still.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.