News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Exits that could be/should...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 05:05:39 AM
I would add Exit 12 for I-35, the current north end of US 65, to this list. There isn't anything there you can't just as easily access from Exit 11, the old US 16 exit. Also, if you are going NB on I-35, but wish to eventually exit onto I-90, the next exit north, you have to watch for traffic from US 65. It strikes me as potentially dangerous.
Traffic Control / Re: Double left turns with per...
Last post by jakeroot - Today at 04:50:01 AM
Found a new triple permissive turn, though with a twist.

Outside of Fukuoka, Japan, in the city of Chikushino, there is a triple permissive right turn at the Harizuri Intersection. The right two right-turn lanes make a 90-degree turn onto the ramp to National Route 3, whilst the left right-turn lane makes a shallower turn onto a local road (Fukuoka Prefectural Route 112).
As is tradition in Japan, at complex intersections, colors are used to guide traffic through. The lanes turning towards National Route 3 are blue, and the lane to Route 112 is green. Through traffic has red markings.

Apparently this intersection has a fairly high crash rate (intersection "D" on the list).

Here's my render showing how it flows:

Harizuri Intersection, Chikushino by Jacob Root, on Flickr
Registration Problems? / Re: New Registration Link?
Last post by Frankidoth - Today at 03:47:36 AM
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 03:01:38 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on March 27, 2024, 10:40:01 PM
Quote from: Quillz on March 27, 2024, 01:35:49 AMLast time I went to SF, it seemed as it was in the 00s and 90s. Same complaints, same kind of people, etc. COVID happened but I've not seen anything dramatically changed. To me, there was nothing to recover from. But my perspective is more a visitor, living there would be different.

The retail pullout from downtown has been pretty staggering in the last 2-3 years, with Macy's recently announcing the year-end closure of their iconic Union Square west coast flagship store.  The planned redevelopment of the Crocker Galleria food court/mini-mall in the Financial District has instead left that structure with only two or three open shops.

The areas that seem to be doing better are the more far-flung areas within the city, i.e. compare Stonestown Mall with its crowds and food options, to the downtown San Francisco Centre which Westfield divested and which has lost tenants consistently.  (Stonestown also has the advantage of free parking in a nicer area)
When I speak of San Francisco, I'm speaking San Francisco proper. I'm actually considering buying a row home somewhere near Golden Gate Park because I love it so much. Everyone sees things in a different lens, but I have definitely noticed the city is not the same since the pandemic. A lot of places aren't, but they have recovered to a degree. I really can't say the same thing about San Francisco.

A lot of people here would think I'm just making things up if I were to tell you what I witnessed on some of my previous trips, especially at night.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: More US 31 upgrades betwee...
Last post by ITB - Today at 02:48:43 AM

For those who don't want to wade through the draft Level Two Screening Report, here's a summary of the US 31 South study area and the suggested alternatives for various intersections, interchanges, and other crossings. The South study area extends from 276th Street in Hamilton County to just south of the Eel River in Miami County.

Hamilton County

• 276th Street
  — no additional improvement warranted

• 296th Street
  — reduced conflict intersection [J turns]
  — traditional interchange (probably a diamond or tight diamond, w/roundabouts; shifted north)
  — access modifications (close off intersection)

Tipton County

• SR 28
  — minor ramp improvements

• Division Road
  — reduced conflict intersection
  — quadrant roadway (3 traffic signals — two on US 31)
  — traditional interchange w/roundabouts
  — quadrant interchange w/roundabouts (similar to folded diamond; positioned north)

• CR 550 N (Sharpsville)
  — access modifications (right-in, right-out only)

Miami County

• SR 18
  — quadrant roadway (two traffic lights, US 31)

• CR 800 S (Bunker Hill)

• SR 218 S (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 northbound)
  — access modifications (close off intersection)

• SR 218 N (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 southbound)
  — greet T interchange (one light, US 31 northbound; southbound, free flow)
  — traditional interchange

• CR 500 S
  — overpass

• CR 400 S
  — overpass

• Business US 31 (Peru)
  — green T intersection (one traffic light, US 31)
  — green T interchange (one traffic light southbound, US 31; northbound, free flow)

• W Airport Road (Peru)
  — Right-in, Right-out only
  — Seal off intersection

• Logansport Road
  — green T intersection (one traffic light, US 31)
  — folded diamond interchange (south)

• Blair Pike Road

• US 24
  — existing and projected conditions deemed sufficient; no improvements being considered

• CR 100 N/N Eel River Cemetery Road
  — quadrant roadway (two traffic lights, US 31)
  — relocate intersection to the north
  — access modifications (access roads, right-in, right-out)

• CR 200 N
  — access modifications (right-in, right-out)

Please bear in mind this is a rough summary on my part. And keep in mind, too, there may be more to "access modifications" than what is simply highlighted in the parentheses. For instance, if an intersection is sealed off, more than likely new or improved access roads will be built as well.

I'll try to get around to doing a summary of the US 31 North study area soon.
Quote from: cjw2001 on March 27, 2024, 02:50:04 PMINDOT just published the Level 2 Screening Reports for the US 30 and US 31 studies.

In addition to the specific reports for US 30 and US 31 there is an interactive map with embedded presentations on each intersection.

Great, now I'm gonna be up all night  :coffee:

Reading through US 30 (East) first and it seems that the public generally wants freeway type improvements, and said improvements are the primary focus of the study.
Traffic Control / Re: Traffic signal
Last post by D-Dey65 - Today at 01:22:11 AM
Does anybody remember me mentioning the dead end traffic signals of New York City? This one is on City Island in the Bronx.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8524513,-73.7871995,3a,75y,60.36h,94.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA79FUcuaEFWWHdqZRlZ3Lg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

Northwest / Re: ODOT: ‘Strong opposition’ ...
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 27, 2024, 08:15:58 PMIt's the worst of both worlds.

There's a bunch of people who don't want the freeway widened, but are willing to accept it if it's tolled to charge drivers in a way that potentially decreases driving

And there's a bunch of people who kinda-sorta want the freeway widened, but absolutely, positively don't want tolling under any circumstances because "freeways should be free" and "We're not on the East Coast."

And there really isn't anyone who is like "Absolutely, widen the freeway and use tolling to pay for it, I love that option"

And so? It dies.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 27, 2024, 07:08:12 PMAnd you know if your ideology of the people in the Portland metro not wanting freeways widened and so keen on taking alternative forms of transit why would they be against tolling these facilities? They could've just as easily have toll them and not widen them and used that to money for transit projects. New York does it all the time.

I don't think this has anything to do with anything other than the legislator being inept. You sound like the type of people from my hometown Edmond, who were saying we were facing Manhattan nation because they were proposing a five story apartment complex. We're talking about taking a four-lane interstate and adding a single lane each to make it six lanes.

This isn't some proposal to turn Portland's freeways into LA sized ones. I doubt we will ever see another proposal to widen these freeways for a very, very long time if ever.

It's also clear Oregon is not in any way shape or form interested in tolling its roads either which should be fairly obvious by now by the updates in this thread.
I guess time will tell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.