News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Starke, FL US 301 Construction for Bypass

Started by roadman65, May 04, 2018, 11:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Drove through Starke this weekend.

Paving of the bypass is complete. Only incomplete sections are the connection intersection north and south of Starke. No striping just yet.

They redirect you onto the new pavement temporarily and then back off as they complete the grading for the new intersections.

Many of the overhead signage was onsite, but laying on the pavement and appears to be waiting for a crane to arrive to erect it.

I couldn't get a picture but the control city going north is showing US-301 Jacksonville with "To I-10" on the new signage.

Control city going south was US-301 Ocala.

roadman65

I thought Gainesville was south?

Anyway, they have come along way since last April when I drove through there as the bypass was all dirt and no grading yet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2019, 10:59:48 PM

Anyway, they have come along way since last April when I drove through there as the bypass was all dirt and no grading yet.

US-301 does not go to Gainesville. One must exit FL-24 West at Waldo to get there.

Reportedly on the bypass where I couldn't see, there is another sign that says "To FL-24 Gainesville"

VTGoose

Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2019, 11:10:32 PM

US-301 does not go to Gainesville. One must exit FL-24 West at Waldo to get there.

Reportedly on the bypass where I couldn't see, there is another sign that says "To FL-24 Gainesville"

I will be rejoicing if it is open when we go through there in late April. Now how many more years will it be until the Baldwin bypass is completed?
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

roadman65

Aware of that fact, but Flaroads submitted a photo showing that Gainesville was on the SB guide instead of Ocala (which is used as a SB control city the moment 301 leaves US 1 at Callahan).  I thought it was  odd and asked and someone said that its cause indirectly it goes there and makes better sense.

When I drove through there last year I saw Gainesville on a mileage sign someplace along the route. This was when the bypass was dirt and I posted it here in this thread to start it off.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Quote from: VTGoose on March 04, 2019, 09:22:47 AM

I will be rejoicing if it is open when we go through there in late April. Now how many more years will it be until the Baldwin bypass is completed?

As of 2 weeks ago it was still dirt just north of I-10. I havent seen the north side of Baldwin yet.  The realignment of I-10 over US-301 and the CSX Yard is still in full force. but they are still stacking dirt and building sidewall for that.

VTGoose

Quote from: edwaleni on March 06, 2019, 10:34:00 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on March 04, 2019, 09:22:47 AM

As of 2 weeks ago it was still dirt just north of I-10. I haven't seen the north side of Baldwin yet.  The realignment of I-10 over US-301 and the CSX Yard is still in full force. but they are still stacking dirt and building sidewall for that.

We were through there in January (taking 301 on up to I-95 at Yulee is a great route). As Florida seems to do, there have been multiple lane shifts at the north end of the bypass and it looked like most of the overpass across the CSX tracks was underway. It's coming up on four years since our son moved to Tampa and it doesn't look like much progress has been made on that interchange rebuild. Too bad the Balwin bypass wasn't extended further south to come in beyond the truck stop and Red Roof Inn.

Bruce in Blacksburg

VTGoose

The Stark Bypass must be a great make-work project that is providing long-term paychecks to a lot of people. It still isn't open and it has been under construction the whole four years we have been traveling through there. There are now signs up, which is progress, but the arrows that point to the "Truck Route" are covered over. It didn't look like any lines had been painted yet and paving of shoulders wasn't complete. They are still mucking about with the connector roads at each end. Right now, traffic uses the new road (we were traveling southbound) to the connection to the old road, makes the sharp turn, and joins the old road through town. At the south end, the connector goes to the new road, makes the sharp turn, and uses the new section that ties into the old road. There is still a lot of construction to be done in that area. At the rate the project has been going at, it will be sometime in 2020 before downtown Stark is free of massive traffic.

At the north end of Baldwin, it is the same situation -- the new section of the road to the connector is done with more work in the area to be done. Beyond that, it looked like grading was done but no subgrade or paving had started. There was work underway on the overpass crossing the CSX rail line. There was also work at the south end, but not enough to see how that will work out.

Bruce in Blacksburg

froggie

^ Here's the Baldwin bypass layout as it existed in 2013, which doesn't look all that much different from today based on aerial imagery.  You can also faintly see what's intended with the I-10/US 301 interchange on the layout.

Jim

Here's what I saw as of 10 days ago in Starke.

North end, southbound:

South end, southbound coming out of Starke:

As for Baldwin, lots of construction activity at the north end of the Baldwin bypass and at US 301/I-10.  Neither end looked especially close to done to me, but were both far different from last summer's rides through that area.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman65

Look how long it took to widen US 301 from Baldwin to Callahan.  Why should anyone be surprised at how long the rest will take.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Although US 301 doesn't go through Gainesville, the majority of the traffic is probably headed that way, so it makes sense to use it as a control city until reaching SR 24.

Was "US 301 Alternate" approved by AASHTO/SCOURN, because I don't see it?

I drove though Baldwin three weeks ago, and the northern part looked almost complete, but being on "old" US 301/90, I couldn't get a good look.

FLRoads

Quote from: formulanone on May 04, 2019, 06:51:47 AM
Although US 301 doesn't go through Gainesville, the majority of the traffic is probably headed that way, so it makes sense to use it as a control city until reaching SR 24.
I agree on using Gainesville as a control city as yes, the majority of the traffic departs at SR 24. I think, though, FDOT should have at least added Ocala as a secondary control for those who are traveling further south to get to I-75.

QuoteWas "US 301 Alternate" approved by AASHTO/SCOURN, because I don't see it?
From what I have tried to look through at work (FDOT), I have not seen any documentation to indicate that it has been applied for. But I have thought about sending an email to find out...

QuoteThe Stark Bypass must be a great make-work project that is providing long-term paychecks to a lot of people. It still isn't open and it has been under construction the whole four years we have been traveling through there.
To add to your statement, VTGoose, the particular contractor in charge of building the Starke bypass is notorious for being ultra slow at getting road projects complete. When I lived in the panhandle, this company worked on several projects, and took their sweet ass time a getting them done.

Why FDOT continues to use them is beyond me, other than it's still the "good ol' boy" system...

I'll be driving through there near the end of the month, so I will take note to see if anything has changed (not holding my breath...lol).

roadman65

Is the Starke Bypass contractors those who done John Young Parkway in Kissimmee last year who took over 5 months to add the final asphalt down that should have been done in 3 weeks time?

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Interesting that FDOT is going to call it US 301 Alt. and not just move US 301 onto the bypass and either decommission it through Starke or rename it US 301 Business. I wonder what the State Road number of the bypass will be. Easiest bet would be SR 200A but they might come up with a new number.

Alex

Quote from: emory on May 08, 2019, 03:24:21 AM
Interesting that FDOT is going to call it US 301 Alt. and not just move US 301 onto the bypass and either decommission it through Starke or rename it US 301 Business. I wonder what the State Road number of the bypass will be. Easiest bet would be SR 200A but they might come up with a new number.

It will be State Road 223:
http://nflroads.com/ProjectFiles/5086/2015-12-03_StarkeBypassExhibit_AllSegments_Reduced.pdf

DJStephens

Quote from: flaroads on May 04, 2019, 08:25:02 AM
I agree on using Gainesville as a control city as yes, the majority of the traffic departs at SR 24. I think, though, FDOT should have at least added Ocala as a secondary control for those who are traveling further south to get to I-75.

From what I have tried to look through at work (FDOT), I have not seen any documentation to indicate that it has been applied for. But I have thought about sending an email to find out...

QuoteThe Stark Bypass must be a great make-work project that is providing long-term paychecks to a lot of people. It still isn't open and it has been under construction the whole four years we have been traveling through there.
To add to your statement, VTGoose, the particular contractor in charge of building the Starke bypass is notorious for being ultra slow at getting road projects complete. When I lived in the panhandle, this company worked on several projects, and took their sweet ass time a getting them done.

Why FDOT continues to use them is beyond me, other than it's still the "good ol' boy" system...

I'll be driving through there near the end of the month, so I will take note to see if anything has changed (not holding my breath...lol).

Believe the practice in contract awarding is that it goes to the lowest bidder.   The contractor may also be a "DBE" or federally designated woman or minority owned contractor.   That may give them some cushion in terms of meeting contract completion dates.   

RoadPelican

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2019, 02:37:21 PM
Is the Starke Bypass contractors those who done John Young Parkway in Kissimmee last year who took over 5 months to add the final asphalt down that should have been done in 3 weeks time?

They could also be the same ones that handled the I-95 widening in Indian River County, the asphalt was laid and already to go in January 2018, yet all 6 lanes did not open until Mid-May.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DJStephens on May 08, 2019, 08:48:21 AM

Believe the practice in contract awarding is that it goes to the lowest bidder.   The contractor may also be a "DBE" or federally designated woman or minority owned contractor.   That may give them some cushion in terms of meeting contract completion dates.   

While many think construction projects should be completed in unrealistic short periods of time, I can't find anything regarding the original schedule for this project. Best I find on their website is the project is due for completion in late 2019.

http://www.us301northflorida.com/sites/StarkeBypass/Pages/home.aspx

VTGoose

Just went through there northbound on Wednesday and about the only thing that has changed over the last year are the completion dates on the signs. It looks like one dump truck, a front-end loader, and two guys with a wheelbarrow are doing the finishing work on the bypass. As of yet, no lines have appeared on the new pavement.

The north end of the Baldwin bypass seems to be going through its 14th road configuration/demolition/construction. The connection is in place and in use and the contractor was tearing up the old/former direct connection to the existing road.

The good news for a lot of people is that the right lane on-ramp to I-10 eastbound was open, eliminating the long backup of traffic waiting to turn left at the traffic light.

Bruce in Blacksburg

VTGoose

Quote from: VTGoose on May 16, 2019, 04:55:24 PM

Just went through there northbound on Wednesday and about the only thing that has changed over the last year are the completion dates on the signs. It looks like one dump truck, a front-end loader, and two guys with a wheelbarrow are doing the finishing work on the bypass. As of yet, no lines have appeared on the new pavement.

The north end of the Baldwin bypass seems to be going through its 14th road configuration/demolition/construction. The connection is in place and in use and the contractor was tearing up the old/former direct connection to the existing road.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Came through Stark yesterday and it appears that the two guys with a wheelbarrow lost their front-end loader -- nothing has changed in the past few months. The contractor must be milking this project to the very end of the "to be completed" date.

roadman65

Typical Florida.  Look how long its taking to repave I-4 from US 41 to MacIntosh Road in Hillsborough County.  It should have been done months ago, but still has the EB lanes from I-75 to McIntosh Road to mill and resurface a bottom base.  The WB is got the base but needs the cover and the ramps excluding CR 579 need to be milled and redone especially the turbine ramps to and from I-75 are bad.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

Just passed through SB and can also report that the north end looks just like it did months ago, but there was a lot of evening construction activity at the south end.  Hopefully the trip back north next week will be the last one that will require me to pass through Starke.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

02 Park Ave

Coming North on my Florida trip back in May, I took mainly county roads between I-75 and the new First Coast Expressway, avoiding US 301 completely.  It was a pleasant and efficient drive with no traffic.
C-o-H

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Starke,+FL+32091/@29.9439333,-82.1551417,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e5e2e5cb5677b1:0xba2c3c2bacaaee12!8m2!3d29.9441298!4d-82.1098275

Though the map does not show it, the roadway finally opened this week.   Been on it and is signed as Truck Route ALT US 301 and some signs for US 301 mainline (the original route have it as Business Route 301) and some erroneous FL 100 Business on the new freeway ramps to SR 100 as well.

65 mph speed limit over the 35 it bypasses but cops are now staked out on this new road as well.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.