News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-14 in Georgia

Started by Grzrd, August 01, 2018, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: sparker on October 21, 2019, 03:30:49 PM
Curiously, the GA 540 sign shown is "cookie-cutter" GA SR issue rather than the embellished type seen on GRIP 515 north of Atlanta.

Fairly certain the colored shields on GA 515 and 520 are there because those routes are ADHS corridors. 515 is Corridor A, and 520 is unofficial Corridor Z.

sparker

Quote from: US 89 on October 22, 2019, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: sparker on October 21, 2019, 03:30:49 PM
Curiously, the GA 540 sign shown is "cookie-cutter" GA SR issue rather than the embellished type seen on GRIP 515 north of Atlanta.

Fairly certain the colored shields on GA 515 and 520 are there because those routes are ADHS corridors. 515 is Corridor A, and 520 is unofficial Corridor Z.

That makes perfect sense, considering that Corridor X/US 78 reassurance shield signage was similarly "embellished" prior to the deployment of I-22 shields.  Thanks for clearing up this issue. 

splashflash

Georgia DOT: I-14 project not a good investment

ATLANTA – Georgia motorists looking for a faster way to get across the state between Columbus and Augusta will have to wait a long time – if ever – for a solution.

A newly released study of options for moving freight through Georgia by the state Department of Transportation (DOT) has concluded that a plan to build the Peach State's first interstate highway since the 1960s would not be a good return on investment.

Traffic projections show the proposed Interstate 14 likely would carry only an average of 3,000 trucks per day, well below the average daily flow of 11,000 to 18,000 trucks on Georgia's existing interstates.

https://capitol-beat.org/2024/01/georgia-dot-i-14-project-not-a-good-investment/

The good news for Harbison and other I-14 backers is that the DOT isn't giving up on the project completely.

"Because the I-14 project shows some benefit under the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), a corridor study to further evaluate its feasibility would enable a more comprehensive understanding of the construction practicalities ... as well as more specific project costs," the report stated.

The Ghostbuster

It is pretty obvious that Interstate 14 likely would never be completed as proposed in 2005. I think we'll be lucky if existing Interstate 14 ever makes it out of the state of Texas. Maybe upgrading existing roads in Georgia to four lanes, and adding interchanges, grade-separations, and cul-de-sacs to those roads will suffice.

Tom958

Why Interstate 14 Will NEVER Be Built Outside of Texas, by Mileage Mike. It's not a very good video, but it exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jStvNl0Ws

Bobby5280

The video isn't too awfully bad. It just doesn't offer much of any new information. I do agree with "Mileage Mike" the chances of I-14 being built outside of Texas are extremely slim or just no chance at all.

Additionally, a bunch of the proposed I-14 route in Texas will probably never be built either. The existing Interstate from I-35 to Copperas Cove merely re-signed an existing freeway that had been around for decades. The only "new" things related to the I-14 corridor in that region are a bypass of Heidenheimer built a decade ago and a Rogers bypass currently under construction. Improvements to I-35 in that area dwarf I-14 efforts.

I can only imagine I-14 being completed to Midland IF efforts to extend I-27 go anywhere and those I-27W/I-27E routes are built. I-14 could overlap the leg from Midland to San Angelo. The gap from San Angelo to Copperas Cove won't be a high priority to fill.

Within the next 20 years I think I-14 may only get completed from Temple to College Station. I think the TX-249 toll road has better chances to be improved and extended into the TX-6 corridor.

Mileage Mike repeated how lawmakers have pitched I-14 as a way of linking military bases/posts. If an Interstate would actually help military operations it would make more sense to build an Interstate from Fort Hood (aka Fort Cavazos) up to Fort Sill in Oklahoma. Lots of Army people travel back and forth between both posts. Plus there's Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls and Altus AFB a short drive West of Lawton/Fort Sill. Then there's a bunch of military stuff in San Antonio. US-281 connects all of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.