News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 South Bend - Elkhart Meet & Poll

Started by Brandon, September 20, 2015, 06:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

South Bend - Elkhart, Indiana Meet Date

Sat April 16
4 (30.8%)
Sat April 23
7 (53.8%)
Sat April 30
7 (53.8%)
Sat May 7
9 (69.2%)
Sat May 14
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 19, 2015, 05:18:41 AM

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: US 41 on December 19, 2015, 08:37:41 AM
Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
I know that voting is not quite yet closed, but I am choosing April 30, 2016 as the date of the meet.  It will be at 11 am, and the restaurant is to be determined.  I'm deciding between a few in the Mishawaka area, near the mall.

Cool. If I don't work that day I will definitely try to make it for this meet. How many people usually show up to these out of curiosity? Do we all ride together when we go see stuff in the area or do we drive separately? (Never been to one of these before.)

A typical meet is probably about 15 people in my experiences. There's usually a vehicle consolidation after lunch, but there's no requirement to and some people bring their own cars on tour anyway in case they need to leave the meet early or just for their own comfort's sake.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on December 18, 2015, 11:55:00 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 18, 2015, 06:54:34 PM
And we're on Facebook as well now: https://www.facebook.com/events/182674092084563/

That, for now, requires a Facebook login. Can that be changed?
I think it also requires that you be friends with the guy who set it up.  I can't see it either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on December 19, 2015, 05:41:07 PM
I think it also requires that you be friends with the guy who set it up.  I can't see it either.

Actually, it requires you be invited, since Brandon has it as a private event.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

DanTheMan414

This weekend looks good for me to attend the South Bend portion of the tour.  I believe Co. Rd. 17 has been extended a bit since the last time we did a meet in the South Bend area.  Most likely I won't be able to stick around for the Sunday tour.

Brandon

I found that I have a conflict this weekend.  After talking with rawmustard, we are moving the meet dates to May 21 and 22.  I will have a new, public page on FB later this evening.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully Steph and I can still make it at least for Saturday, don't think I have any toy shows lined up that weekend either
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

A quick update.  I have it on Facebook, but I'll post it here too:

The restaurant is...

Evil Czech Brewery
3703 N. Main St.
Mishawaka, IN 46545

They open at our meet time, 11 am EDT.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Brandon on April 24, 2016, 12:11:27 AM
A quick update.  I have it on Facebook, but I'll post it here too:

The restaurant is...

Evil Czech Brewery
3703 N. Main St.
Mishawaka, IN 46545

They open at our meet time, 11 am EDT.

Dang, that might be the coolest name for a meet restaurant there ever has been or will be.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jpi

At this point I am still a go but I looks like Steph may not make it due to work :-/
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US 41

I won't be able to make it. I work on Saturday (of course  :angry: ).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SSOWorld

Last hurdle cleared - time off confirmed - I'm back to "going" (Assuming nothing comes up in the last 0.68 seconds - for an android, that is an eternity)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

I'm going to likely make this meet and the meet in St. Joseph County, MI, the next day. My current plan is to drive up from Columbus early Saturday morning, spend Saturday night in the South Bend/Elkhart area, then head back Sunday after the MI meet is over.

rawmustard

Quote from: okroads on May 06, 2016, 05:12:41 PM
I'm going to likely make this meet and the meet in St. Joseph County, MI, the next day. My current plan is to drive up from Columbus early Saturday morning, spend Saturday night in the South Bend/Elkhart area, then head back Sunday after the MI meet is over.
Just as an FYI, I'm booked at the Sleep Inn on the north side of Elkhart. There are a myriad of other hotels located in the area off of the Toll Road's interchange with SR 19. I would think that the closest hotel to where we'll meet in Mottville is the Hampton in Middlebury, but from where I'll be is only an 18 minute drive.

LGLS991

jpi

I am officially going, I have cashed in some choice points and staying at a Comfort Suites South in Elkhart, south end of town but looks pretty decent, looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend! :wave:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

With all the traveling I've been doing lately - Texas last week, Kansas City (for work) next week - I think South Bend is out.

bandit957

I probably won't be there, because for one thing, I'm a little short on dough. I have a small claims suit pending against someone who deceived me out of money, but the authorities are refusing to serve the papers on the defendant (because it would likely result in a criminal case against political cronies).

I also have a major health disorder and have no energy because of it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Here's a short run down of what we'll see and do:

First, we'll head over to the Meijer to drop off some of the cars.  Then across the campus of Notre Dame to Bus-31/IN-933.  There's remnants of an old interchange there.  Then, through downtown South Bend to the IN-23 interchanges on the SE part of downtown.  Back through downtown to a realignment of Lincolnway (Bus-20) by the airport.  Then it's to the last remaining snack bar building on the Indiana Toll Road.  It was last used as a state police post, but is currently unoccupied.  Might make a good meet photo location.  Then across the Indiana Toll Road to the travel plaza (restrooms and the like).  Exit at Elkhart East (CR-17) and up to M-217.  West to old M-205 and back down IN-19 to follow Old US-112 to Ash Road.  Across the St Joe River to the odd end of IN-933.  Then down to Goshen to see the alignments of IN-15 and US-33 in town.  Then back west to CR-17, up to the end of IN-120, across US-20 to US-31.  New US-31 south and old US-31 north.  Back to IN-331 and our cars.

hbelkins

I had put this down as a possibility, but I'm now officially out. I won't have the means to attend. In fact, I will be acquiring the means to possibly attend other meets on Saturday if all works out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

Group photos for both meets:

The South Bend (day 1) group photo, taken at the abandoned Snack Bar #4 on the Indiana Toll Road in Elkhart County St. Joseph County.

Bottom row: Adam Moss (IL), AJ Bertin (MI), Brian Rawson-Ketchum (MI), Barry Camp's son (MI),  Brandon Gorte (IL)

Top row: David Feryance (WI), Jason Ilyes (TN), Sam Scholtens (MI), Eric Stuve (OH), Barry Camp (MI), Brian Reynolds (MI)

Day 2, taken at the Langley Covered Bridge, constructed in 1887.

Left to right: Adam Moss, Sam Scholtens, Brian Rawson-Ketchum, Brian Reynolds, Eric Stuve, Jason Ilyes and Brandon Gorte.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Brandon

^^ The snack bar, named originally for President Benjamin Harrison, is in St. Joseph County, milepost 72.9.

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Brandon

Here are some more photos, including two more for the meet photos.

Day 1 Meet Photo:

Day 2 Meet Photo:

Mottville Camelback Bridge:

Langley Covered Bridge:

End of IN-933 at the St. Joe/Elkhart County Line:

Old Lincolnway (Bus US-20):

A bunch of people standing around:

A bunch more standing and sitting:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.