News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Multi-billion $ toll projects move in Seattle WA

Started by mightyace, May 26, 2009, 08:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Apparently the Washington state legislature has passed legislation to allow tolling of the existing WA 520 "floating bridge" to help pay for its replacement plus a double decked tunnel to replace the Alaskan way viaduct.

See the following for more details:
Multi-billion $ toll projects move in Seattle WA
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

ctroadgeek

I know that new tolls aren't popular on here, but if that's what it takes to improve that bridge sooner, then so be it. The key is that those tolls don't get funneled elsewhere - they need to stay put in funding projects for SR 520.

mightyace

Quote from: ctroadgeek on May 27, 2009, 02:40:59 PM
The key is that those tolls don't get funneled elsewhere - they need to stay put in funding projects for SR 520.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but Pennsylvania doesn't work that way.  Some of the PA Turnpike revenues go to PennDOT projects and the dormant I-80 tolling project would also fund other highways.  So, you get much more opposition when you do it that way.

ctroadgeek

If I recall correctly, there's a tolled section of road/bridge in New York that pays for a different bridge over 300 miles away. And state DOT's wonder why tolling is so unpopular...

mightyace

Anthony_JK

Gee..then why not just go ahead and convert EVERY single controlled-access freeway...oh, I'm sorry, "expressway"..... in the US to full toll and just get the Federal Government out of the highway business altogether?

Of course, TollRoadNews supports this option....look at who they represent and who are funding them.

Sorry, but highways built with public revenue through gas taxes should remain "free" and not become a slush fund cash cow for private interests....especially foreign interests.

Even light-rail alternatives are preferable to this looting of the public.

Anthony

froggie

If the tolls collected on a road in question were dedicated solely to maintenance, operations, and upgrade of that road, I could accept that.  Unfortunately, there are very few examples of that around the country, and the politicians would muck it up anyway by diverting toll revenue to pet projects (I-80 PA, anyone?).

akotchi

Quote from: ctroadgeek on May 28, 2009, 06:09:14 PM
If I recall correctly, there's a tolled section of road/bridge in New York that pays for a different bridge over 300 miles away. And state DOT's wonder why tolling is so unpopular...

I know about some free bridges from PA to NJ from about Trenton northward that are maintained by funding from toll bridges in the same area.  All the bridges are maintained by the same toll agency.  Not sure if this is what you meant.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.