News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Whidbey Island -> WA I-90 clinch?

Started by yakra, September 16, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

May be driving east from Whidbey Island WA soon. The most direct choice would seem to be I-405, but the possibility of a WA I-90 clinch is too good to pass up.

What's the deal with the I-90 express lanes? If I make my entrance that way, is that still close enough in anyone's opinion to call it a clinch?
The CHM Hwy Browser shows I-90 proper taking the southern fork, towards WA519.

Do I want to try an approach via WA519? And isn't there demolition on the Alaskan Way Viaduct, that could complicate things?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

NE2

Quote from: yakra on September 16, 2013, 12:26:26 PM
What's the deal with the I-90 express lanes? If I make my entrance that way, is that still close enough in anyone's opinion to call it a clinch?
If you're anal, you can hop on at 519 and shift left to the express lanes at the tunnel: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.589997,-122.304523&spn=0.005564,0.014173&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=47.589997,-122.304523&panoid=Ewej3c_3M8PueWbhyqGAYg&cbp=12,76.67,,0,-0.65
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Unless you also want to clinch WA 519, the viaduct construction shouldn't effect you at all.  Getting on I-90 heading east, the terminus is at 4th Avenue & Edgar Martinez Dr (Atlantic St).  But personally, I'm not anal enough to care; I'd think that as long as you get on at one of the two downtown termini, it should count.

(P.S. Be aware that unlike the I-5 express lanes, for the most part, the I-90 express lanes are HOV only.)

yakra

Would Mercer St -> 99 -> 519 be workable?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alps

Quote from: yakra on September 16, 2013, 12:26:26 PM
May be driving east from Whidbey Island WA soon. The most direct choice would seem to be I-405, but the possibility of a WA I-90 clinch is too good to pass up.

Do I want to try an approach via WA519? And isn't there demolition on the Alaskan Way Viaduct, that could complicate things?
I'd call it a clinch. The Express Lanes are part of the same interchange as the WA 519 end. Having just been on it, the ramp up from WA 519 feels like a ramp until it curves east into I-90, and that's right where the Express Lanes come in. Do your thing.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: yakra on September 16, 2013, 09:30:31 PM
Would Mercer St -> 99 -> 519 be workable?

If your goal is to avoid viaduct construction, this would be the opposite of what you want to do. If all you want to do is clinch that westernmost mile of I-90, then you can actually get off at the I-90 exit from I-5 south and either take the Dearborn St ramp to the express lanes, or the 4th Ave ramp to the general purpose lanes.

TEG24601

I would consider I-5 to Idaho a Clinch, The 1500 ft to 4th or Martinez drive you don't need to worry about.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 17, 2013, 04:13:50 PM
I would consider I-5 to Idaho a Clinch, The 1500 ft to 4th or Martinez drive you don't need to worry about.

No.

KEK Inc.

I-90 allows single-occupants between Seattle and Mercer Island, but you can't really get back onto the mainline easily once you're in the express lanes.  You're forced to exit at Mercer Is. unless you have a passenger.
Take the road less traveled.

yakra

Ended up approaching from the south instead.
Here's what I ended up doing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.