News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US199 Historical Information

Started by RoadFan99, April 24, 2020, 01:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadFan99

I have an interest in old photos and information about US 199. My current interest is the Expressway Portion from Grant's Pass to Riverbanks Rd.  When was the Expressway built and are there any old photos of this section?

nexus73

Wish I knew!  Have you driven the section which was bypassed when the Collier Tunnel was built?  That is an interesting drive!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

I haven't hit US 199 yet in our blog series but it does have a pretty long history given it was part of Legislative Route 1 on the California side.  I would suggest looking the California Highways & Public Works guides on archive.com.  Those CHPW guides will have a ton of vintage photos and construction dates on when US 199 was shifted around in California.  I don't have a ton of sources for Oregon but there is an Oregon Roads blog series on Blogger that might have what you're after. 

Max Rockatansky

For what it's worth Doug did touch on US 199 recently in the context of the Winnemucca to the Sea Highway recently:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/04/winnemucca-to-sea-highway.html?m=1

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 24, 2020, 01:42:06 PM
I haven’t hit US 199 yet in our blog series but it does have a pretty long history given it was part of Legislative Route 1 on the California side.  I would suggest looking the California Highways & Public Works guides on archive.com.  Those CHPW guides will have a ton of vintage photos and construction dates on when US 199 was shifted around in California.  I don’t have a ton of sources for Oregon but there is an Oregon Roads blog series on Blogger that might have what you’re after. 

My paternal grandmother came over US 199 before it was even US 199 and did it in a Conestoga wagon as the family moved to Loleta CA, then on to Gold Beach OR after that.  Back then (early 20th century) it was likely a stagecoach route.  One of those came to Coos County back in the 1870's. 

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

There's a HISTORIC US 99 facebook group that includes 199, 299, and 399 as valid entries, so they may be able to help.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on April 24, 2020, 04:42:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 24, 2020, 01:42:06 PM
I haven't hit US 199 yet in our blog series but it does have a pretty long history given it was part of Legislative Route 1 on the California side.  I would suggest looking the California Highways & Public Works guides on archive.com.  Those CHPW guides will have a ton of vintage photos and construction dates on when US 199 was shifted around in California.  I don't have a ton of sources for Oregon but there is an Oregon Roads blog series on Blogger that might have what you're after. 

My paternal grandmother came over US 199 before it was even US 199 and did it in a Conestoga wagon as the family moved to Loleta CA, then on to Gold Beach OR after that.  Back then (early 20th century) it was likely a stagecoach route.  One of those came to Coos County back in the 1870's. 

Rick

Rick

I read about it once, the corridor definitely a historic stage route.  That's why I've been kicking myself for not salvaging any US 199 photos off my computer.  I have some of the Redwood Groves but that's it.  I was actually supposed to drive it for the third time this weekend before things went nuts. 

Regarding US 199 it does come up now and then on the Historic US 99 Facebook group. 

nexus73

Should you make it to Wolf Creek OR Max (along I-5 between Grants Pass and Roseburg), there is an original stage coach stop that is restored.  Inside is a decent restaurant serving homestyle fried chicken along with other meals made in the same vein.  Rooms can be rented for the night as well.  This facility is run by the State Parks department.

Rick

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

^^^

I was looking at the references on the Wikipedia page, it was the Park Service articles what I was referring to.  Too bad they come back as dead links now...seems to be a theme with NPS.gov these days.  :meh:

Anyways, I have started something on Gribblenation for US Route 199.  So far I'm through the wagon era through to Oregon Highway 25 and Legislative Route 1.  The major shift of LRN 1 from the Gasquet Toll Road (LRN 1 was extended during the 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act to the Oregon State Line) to the Redwood Highway/Smith River Highway alignment is stated to be open in the April 1925 CHPW.  So far this what I have worked out for the alignment of the Gasquet Toll Road from Crescent City to the Oregon State Line:

-  Elk Valley Road/Sign County Route D2.

-  Howland Hill Road

-  Douglas Park Road

-  South Fork Road

-  US Route 199

-  Gasquet Flat Road

-  Gasquet Middle Fork Road

-  Old Gasquet Toll Road

-  Patrick Creek Road

Regarding vintage photos I can attest the CHPW guides do have plenty of photos.  I have been able to track down not only typical run of California Highway Maps on David Rumsey but a lot for Oregon as well.  Interestingly there appears to have never been a documented Auto Trail over LRN 1 or Oregon Highway 25.

Max Rockatansky

Found an NPS article on the Gasquet Toll Road which corroborates the missing Wikipedia reference link:

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/5views/5views3h38.htm

My speculative guess is that this is the article that was referenced on Wikipedia.  The Gasquet Toll Road would have been effectively Legislative Route 1 in California from 1919 to 1925.  I suppose the timing making sense for the 1919 adoption given toll franchises typically had a 25 right to their road.  That would explain why the Gasquet Toll Road wasn't part of the 1909 First State Highway Bond act version of Legislative Route 1; the state didn't want to buy it.  I wouldn't want to buy a toll road when I could get from Del Norte County within a couple years either...smart move IMO. 

Max Rockatansky

Here is something for the Crescent City & Yreka Turnpike Company.  Essentially they built the plank road over Oregon Mountain that is now Wilmer Road along with the General
Right of way for current US 199 in Oregon and OR 238.  This is another substitute for the dead Wikipedia link:

https://www.cagenweb.org/delnorte/history_crescent_city.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on April 24, 2020, 08:06:33 PM
Should you make it to Wolf Creek OR Max (along I-5 between Grants Pass and Roseburg), there is an original stage coach stop that is restored.  Inside is a decent restaurant serving homestyle fried chicken along with other meals made in the same vein.  Rooms can be rented for the night as well.  This facility is run by the State Parks department.

Rick

Well it is an Old US 99 thing it looks so that might something I look at whenever I can get back executing the planned trip that was supposed to commence this weekend. 

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2020, 01:55:35 PM

Rick

Well it is an Old US 99 thing it looks so that might something I look at whenever I can get back executing the planned trip that was supposed to commence this weekend. 

The best laid plans of mice and men...LOL!  Our forum will be richer when you get out on da' road and start taking pix, then telling us the stories of the routes you drive.  Besides, you are saving me gas :-)

Rick

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on April 25, 2020, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2020, 01:55:35 PM

Rick

The best laid plans of mice and men...LOL!  Our forum will be richer when you get out on da' road and start taking pix, then telling us the stories of the routes you drive.  Besides, you are saving me gas :-)

Rick

Short term we'll see how the "telling tales"  part goes.  I anticipate being done with the US Route 199 article this weekend.  My photo stock of US 199 sucks so we'll see how fleshing it out with Google, the Post Mile Tool, and a couple others sources works for the route log.  I'm pretty happy with the story narrative so far regarding the history of the highway.  But to that end the second I can get back out on some long distance trip I will be.  Really the only obligation holding me back is work at the moment...which limits me to day trip distance.

To that end, man am I glad that got that Mexico trip in when I did.  The shit really hit the fan in the first two weeks after I got back. 

kkt

Quote from: RoadFan99 on April 24, 2020, 01:59:55 AM
I have an interest in old photos and information about US 199. My current interest is the Expressway Portion from Grant's Pass to Riverbanks Rd.  When was the Expressway built and are there any old photos of this section?

I drove 199 in both directions in December of 2018.  The expressway seemed new to me, which probably just means it was built after about 2000.  Cave Junction sure seemed a whole lot bigger.  Sorry that's not very much help, I have no photos.

nexus73

Quote from: kkt on April 25, 2020, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: RoadFan99 on April 24, 2020, 01:59:55 AM

I drove 199 in both directions in December of 2018.  The expressway seemed new to me, which probably just means it was built after about 2000.  Cave Junction sure seemed a whole lot bigger.  Sorry that's not very much help, I have no photos.

It would be nice to see US 199 get 4-laned all the way to the south end of Cave Junction.  The amount of small towns between the two cities plus the tourist draw that is the caves themselves generating traffic would suggest such.  Of course ODOT will never see the light so we will never see such upgrading take place any time soon.

Rick

Max Rockatansky

I'm presently going through the CHPW volumes looking for anything US 199 related.  In the July/August 1929 issue there is an article detailing the opening the Hiouchi Bridge on the Smith River on June 22nd. 

https://archive.org/details/californiahighwa192729calirich/page/n495/mode/2up/search/Crescent+City

Max Rockatansky

This is the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Del Norte County.  US 199/LRN 1 can be seen departing US 101 via Parkway Drive in Crescent City.  US 199/LRN 1 can be seen climbing Oregon Mountain Road to the Oregon State Line above where the Collier Tunnel is now.  Notably the Old Gasquet Toll Road can be seen north of US 199 starting at Adams Station:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~247277~5515349:Del-Norte-County-?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:california%20division%20of%20highways%20del%20norte;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=0&trs=1

Also, I believe the Crescent City & Yreka Turnpike Company Road is what is shown at T.19N.R.2EH.

Bruce

The section between Helms Road and OR 99 has been around since the 1970s, since I'm seeing it without signs of fresh construction in 1982 imagery on Historic Aerials.

Max Rockatansky

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2020, 10:03:27 AM
Hiouchi Bridge on bridgehunter, lots of photos:

https://bridgehunter.com/ca/del-norte/hiouchi/

The last photo showing the bridge painted white as portrayed on a postcard sure looks gorgeous!  Imagine finding such an attractive bridge in the middle of nowhere back in the day.  It would have been a real highlight of the drive along US 199, which is filled with highlights!

Rick

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on April 26, 2020, 12:00:30 PM

The last photo showing the bridge painted white as portrayed on a postcard sure looks gorgeous!  Imagine finding such an attractive bridge in the middle of nowhere back in the day.  It would have been a real highlight of the drive along US 199, which is filled with highlights!

Rick

Too bad a truck destroyed it in the 1980s, that seems to be a common theme with truss spans. 

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2020, 01:08:29 PM

Rick

Too bad a truck destroyed it in the 1980s, that seems to be a common theme with truss spans. 

I wondered what happened to it!  Too bad.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on April 26, 2020, 01:14:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2020, 01:08:29 PM

Rick

I wondered what happened to it!  Too bad.

Demolished and replaced with the boring cookie cutter bridge that's there now.  The current bridge in particular is the worst kind of cookie cutter bland too, it really doesn't match what is a really pretty river. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.