News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tapatalk On the Fritz...Again

Started by Rothman, April 01, 2023, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2023, 09:21:51 AM
So I guess I can still read threads but they are not organized into the regions like we have on the web version. I will give it a week to see if it fixes itself otherwise, I'll just get rid of the app. Thanks for your help everyone.

That depends on which view you use within Tapatalk. At the bottom of the screen, tap on "Forums." Despite that misleading name (most of us would consider it all a single "forum"), that view would normally give you the same organized list of regional, national, etc., subfora that you get when you view the website. I say "normally" because when I viewed it through Tapatalk just now, using the "Forums" view returned the error message shown above and it wouldn't display anything. When I instead tap "Discussions," it displays fine, but I tend not to use that view because it doesn't really fit with how my mind sorts the threads. Each view within "Discussions" is in reverse chronological order (whatever thread within a given view has the most recent reply goes to the top), regardless of the subforum in which the thread appears.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mvak36

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 03, 2023, 11:28:14 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2023, 09:21:51 AM
So I guess I can still read threads but they are not organized into the regions like we have on the web version. I will give it a week to see if it fixes itself otherwise, I'll just get rid of the app. Thanks for your help everyone.

That depends on which view you use within Tapatalk. At the bottom of the screen, tap on "Forums." Despite that misleading name (most of us would consider it all a single "forum"), that view would normally give you the same organized list of regional, national, etc., subfora that you get when you view the website. I say "normally" because when I viewed it through Tapatalk just now, using the "Forums" view returned the error message shown above and it wouldn't display anything. When I instead tap "Discussions," it displays fine, but I tend not to use that view because it doesn't really fit with how my mind sorts the threads. Each view within "Discussions" is in reverse chronological order (whatever thread within a given view has the most recent reply goes to the top), regardless of the subforum in which the thread appears.

I use the Forums view and that's what is giving me the issue. I don't mind the Discussions ones but I'm used to the Forums one and the layout on the website. I'll give it a week or so to see if they fix it.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Alps

This may be what killed chat too.

Scott5114

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2023, 08:02:05 PM
This may be what killed chat too.

It is. For whatever reason the PHP devs decided to change a bunch of stuff in PHP 8 that broke anything coded for PHP 7 and below.

Even my own code isn't immune. Apparently at a critical point in one of my scripts, PHP 7 passed "null" and PHP 8 passes an empty string (which is not equal to null, it's just a string with nothing in it). Since I had a conditional that tested for "null", that caused a fatal error. Changing the test to check for "false" rather than "null" (because an empty string is false but not null) fixed the error.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Hm.  For some reason, I can post in some threads but not others on Tapatalk (like this one).  On the website, everything's fine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2023, 05:26:19 PM
Hm.  For some reason, I can post in some threads but not others on Tapatalk (like this one).  On the website, everything's fine.
I noticed that too.

roadfro

I have issue with Tapatalk on my phone lately as well. It often doesn't load the boards in the forum view unless I remove and re-add AARoads, But it will show recent and subscribed threads in that view. It started happening a couple months ago, so might be related to the upgrade mentioned above.

I've come to prefer Tapatalk on my phone since the board and buttons are a bit small and clunky on my (admittedly older model Android) phone and normal web browser. But I'll use a regular browser when accessing the forum from tablet and desktop.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.