California-style freeway entrance signage makes its way to Oregon

Started by xonhulu, August 29, 2010, 06:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

O.k. I took a shot at a 3-digit eagle shield.  I just made a blank shield in the Shield Generator, stretched it horizontally 125%, and pasted the state name and the route number 142, which I think would have been a better designation for OR 42S.  

I'm not sure I have the aspect ratio right, though, just took a guess.  Anybody better than me at this can feel free to improve on it, like one with the exact same eagle as the regular shield (not a distorted-by-stretching bird) and a consistently-wide border.

Anyway, it looked alright to me.  I think it could be made to work.

xonhulu

Here's another wide eagle shield, this one with a non-distorted eagle:

Here's another with a slightly wider aspect ratio:

Bickendan

The numerals themselves aren't too happy, but pretty good with the non-stretched eagles.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

xonhulu

Quote from: KEK Inc. on September 06, 2010, 07:05:47 AM

I polished it a bit on GIMP.

That 217 worked pretty good.  How well do 3-digits fit when there are no 1's, like the historic route 222?

KEK Inc.

Admittedly, I had to adjust the font spacing and reduce the font size a tad bit. 

xonhulu

Way to bring the discussion back on topic with your last image.

Now, if ODOT objects that the number is now too small, I guess you could eliminate the "OREGON:"

Now you're losing very little in legibility, but getting a much more interesting design than the boring "alien head."

KEK Inc.

No need to neuter it.

Original:

GIMP'd:

I think it's a hell of a lot more legible than Washington's shields.  :P  (Even though it has a 1, I kept it at the same font size as the 569 and 222 shields I did)

xonhulu

No argument here.  I think we've shown a 3-digit eagle shield could totally work.

luokou

It'd be wonderful to return to the cutout style. The three digit version is quite fantastically done. I'd use the neuter shield on overheads and BGS's.

Quillz

Quote from: luokou on September 06, 2010, 11:48:11 PM
It'd be wonderful to return to the cutout style. The three digit version is quite fantastically done. I'd use the neuter shield on overheads and BGS's.
100% agree. Cutout shields are just as easy to read and frankly, have a lot more character than boring "shape against black background"-itis.

KEK Inc.

Shields should have the state name on stand-alone shields.  On BGS, they should be neutered, though.  I actually think an all-white shield would still be better for BGS.  It's too distracting otherwise.

Henry

Quote from: Bickendan on August 29, 2010, 08:13:47 PM
Washington uses them (the freeway entrance signs, not state-named shields).

Oregon using these is a shock.

So every state on the West Coast has them? I'll have to see for myself the next time I drive through Oregon.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

xonhulu

Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2011, 10:14:18 AM
So every state on the West Coast has them? I'll have to see for myself the next time I drive through Oregon.

Still not common, although a few other on-ramps in the Albany-to-Salem section of I-5 sport them now.

Also proliferating in this area are these hideous oval 99E shields.  Everytime I turn around, I see a new one:

wriddle082

Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2011, 10:14:18 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 29, 2010, 08:13:47 PM
Washington uses them (the freeway entrance signs, not state-named shields).

Oregon using these is a shock.

AFAIK, there is only one east coast state where I have seen these signs: West Virginia.  I am not sure if they are still putting them up now (been at least 3 years since I've entered that state), but I fondly recall seeing them all over the place back in the 80s and 90s (spent my Grades 1-7 years in Ashland, KY, just W of Huntington, WV).

Alex

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 30, 2011, 07:08:25 PM
AFAIK, there is only one east coast state where I have seen these signs: West Virginia.  I am not sure if they are still putting them up now (been at least 3 years since I've entered that state), but I fondly recall seeing them all over the place back in the 80s and 90s (spent my Grades 1-7 years in Ashland, KY, just W of Huntington, WV).

Saw many new freeway entrance assemblies in West Virginia last September.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on August 29, 2010, 06:55:51 PM
Imagine my surprise when, while getting on I-5 at Kuebler Blvd in Salem, I spot this new signage on the onramp to northbound:

Not only that but at least at Chemawa Road, I've seen the "ONE-WAY"/"DO NOT ENTER"/"WRONG WAY" signs posted together California style at the end of the off-ramp, with the ONE-WAY sign mounted low to the ground.  Oregon seems to have historically installed the DO NOT ENTER sign separately from the WRONG WAY sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.