News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A couple of interesting Portland-area signs

Started by xonhulu, March 24, 2011, 11:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

First, there used to be this sign goof along WA 14 near Washougal:

Unfortunately, when I passed by today, the erroneous US 14 shield had been covered.  But the new look sign is also pretty interesting:

You can see the green-out covering the older shield.  Kind of cool; I can't remember if I've ever seen the Washington shield outlined like that on a BGS before.

A little later, while stuck in an I-5 traffic jam in Portland, I saw this gem posted on the overpass above: a cut-out OR 43 shield.

About the only time I've ever been glad traffic was at a standstill; I had to go full zoom through the windshield, and this was the clearest of the 3 pictures I had time to shoot. 

What's especially odd is the lack of a black inner border. 

If I get the chance, I'll try to get back for a better photo, although that might be a little difficult given the location of the shield.  Also, it looks like a temporary shield during construction, so who knows how long it will last.

NE2

Quote from: xonhulu on March 24, 2011, 11:52:35 PM
A little later, while stuck in an I-5 traffic jam in Portland, I saw this gem posted on the overpass above: a cut-out OR 43 shield.
That's just a guide sign shield, not a "real" cutout.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

neat stuff!  don't think I've ever seen a Washington outline state route shield before.  there is this US-97 shield on old US-10 in Ellensburg which covers up an outline shield, as the sign dates to about 1958.

as for the Oregon cutout ... I remember there being one on I-5 south that referred to OR-58.  It was a cutout and even had a border - a specification that Oregon never used, but this contractor apparently was feeling extra creative!

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 25, 2011, 01:50:49 AM
as for the Oregon cutout ... I remember there being one on I-5 south that referred to OR-58.  It was a cutout and even had a border - a specification that Oregon never used, but this contractor apparently was feeling extra creative!

I've seen some with the border before, like this OR 213 in Molalla:

There are several cut-out shields for what I assume is OR 126 (technically OR 126 BUS) in Eugene that probably look the same, but they are always covered up when I'm there.  They are apparently used intermittently for detours connected with the reconstruction of the I-5 Willamette River bridge.

agentsteel53

as far as I remember, there is an actual old eagle shield in Eugene for 126.  there's another in Redmond.  those two 126es are the only surviving eagles I know of. 

some people keep mentioning a 217, but I have never been able to find it.

jake@aaroads.com

andytom

There are a couple of these with Detour tabs on Naito Pkwy (one is near the Morrison bridge, 1/2 mile north of the north end of OR-43).  There's more at the south end of OR-43 where they have the Oregon City/West Linn bridge closed for repairs for 2 yrs.

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 25, 2011, 01:02:19 PM
some people keep mentioning a 217, but I have never been able to find it.

Those have been gone for 3 years or so, AFAIK.

Bickendan

Yes, the Eagle 217's are sadly gone.

Those non-border cutout 43's aren't new -- there's at least one cutout 99E across the river along the truck detour for the Grand/MLK Ave Viaducts.

xonhulu

I was back up in Portland today, and looked around the OR 43 detour.  As Andy said, there are quite a few of those borderless cut-outs in the area, but I didn't see any I could safely photograph.  However, this being Oregon, I did see a couple of these on northbound Macadam:

luokou

Quote from: Bickendan on March 26, 2011, 10:59:17 PMThose non-border cutout 43's aren't new -- there's at least one cutout 99E across the river along the truck detour for the Grand/MLK Ave Viaducts.

Kind of like this one.

xonhulu

Quote from: luokou on March 27, 2011, 06:47:41 AM
Kind of like this one.

Hey, at least it's the right shape for an Oregon state route shield.  Look at what we're putting up with in the Salem-Albany area lately:

A few dozen of these have gone up in the last couple years.  I think I also saw a 99W like this up in Tigard awhile back.

andytom

Finally found the reason for the detour signs beyond the north end of OR-43.  They are doing work on the SB I-5 offramp to OR-43 (Exit 299A).  The detour is for I-84 and I-5 SB traffic which they have exit at the Morrison Bridge exit, cross the Morrison Bridge to Naito Pkwy, then down into the tangle at the west end of the Ross Island Bridge south of downtown before rejoining OR-43.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on March 27, 2011, 01:46:52 PM
A few dozen of these have gone up in the last couple years.  I think I also saw a 99W like this up in Tigard awhile back.

Yes, the inverted Oregon 99W signs were installed in Tigard at Hall and Main/Greenburg during a recent widening project; however the signs have been fixed and the shield is correctly oriented.

I don't know about the ones recently installed in Salem (Chemawa Road).

sp_redelectric

First, there used to be this sign goof along WA 14 near Washougal:

I recall there being a couple U.S. 14 sign goofs located on the old Evergreen Highway near I-205...not sure if they are still there or not, however.

agentsteel53

near some circle 99Es I found a set of Oregon-shield 99s.  correct shape, wrong route number.

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2011, 10:16:07 PM
near some circle 99Es I found a set of Oregon-shield 99s.  correct shape, wrong route number.

There are a couple erroneous 99's at the South Jefferson exit, just north of Albany:

Where did you see yours?

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on June 05, 2011, 10:53:17 PM
There are a couple erroneous 99's at the South Jefferson exit, just north of Albany:

[photo]

Where did you see yours?

that's exactly where I saw mine.

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2011, 11:18:52 PM
that's exactly where I saw mine.

It's been there several years.

When the northbound lanes of the freeway between that exit and the North Jefferson exit were rebuilt several years ago, the contractor put up "US 99E" signs throughout the entire stretch.   They were corrected about a month later, but I stupidly never got any pictures.  Anybody else out there have one?

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on June 05, 2011, 10:53:17 PM
Wasn't that technically correct at one time, when 99E was routed on the Jefferson Highway and 99 was routed down what's now I-5?

I wonder why ODOT doesn't restore the 99E designation to the Jefferson Highway instead of leaving it as an unsigned route - it would seem to make sense given that almost every other former 99, 99E, or 30 segment that today functions as a business loop off of I-5 retains the former route designation (Business 99E being the odd exception, both in having the "Business" banner AND not being routed on South Commercial but on Mission co-signed with Oregon 22).

xonhulu

Quote from: sp_redelectric on June 07, 2011, 12:11:17 AM
Wasn't that technically correct at one time, when 99E was routed on the Jefferson Highway and 99 was routed down what's now I-5?

Yes and no.  US 99E did originally run over the Jefferson Highway, but by 1950 had been re-routed onto a more direct bypass probably where I-5 goes now.  And there was a period during the construction of I-5 in the late '50s to late 60's when US 99 was designated along that freeway, but by this time there was no longer a US Route on the Jefferson Highway.

QuoteI wonder why ODOT doesn't restore the 99E designation to the Jefferson Highway instead of leaving it as an unsigned route - it would seem to make sense given that almost every other former 99, 99E, or 30 segment that today functions as a business loop off of I-5 retains the former route designation (Business 99E being the odd exception, both in having the "Business" banner AND not being routed on South Commercial but on Mission co-signed with Oregon 22).

Actually, the Jefferson Highway was designated OR 164 back in 2002, but isn't signed as such yet.  Given that they just replaced the BGS's on I-5 at both Jefferson Highway exits and these new signs make no reference to OR 164, I wonder if they have any plans to mark 164, since that would have been the ideal time to do so.

sp_redelectric

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.