News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Another temporary OR cutout

Started by xonhulu, September 18, 2011, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I finally got to see these construction-detour shields unmasked Friday, for OR 221 in West Salem.  Ironically, this particular one is at a street junction that's permanently signed as the route to get to OR 221 on Wallace Rd -- you can just see a corner of the overhead for this in the upper left -- but that's the usual route to get on 221 from eastbound OR 22.  The detour, though, is in place for westbound 22 traffic, as the project (a repaving, I think) forces closure of the ramp that directly connects to Wallace Rd and detours traffic to the next exit.  There are a few of these cutout shields along the detour, but also some standard shields on rectangular signs.  Anyway, here's what they look like:

I say again: if Oregon isn't gonna use the great old eagle shields, I wish they'd at least consider this cutout design, as these look pretty sharp.  Alas, they only seem to be some contractor's vision of the OR route shield.

I actually looked around for any US 22 or US 221 sign goofs, and was mildly surprised there weren't any.  That's been another common feature at many Oregon projects lately!

nexus73

Chris, see that "Valley Hospice" (that's what it looks to be saying) sign?  Remember when we had those white pointing signs with thin black outlines all over Oregon?  It's been a long time since I have seen one.

Bring back The Eagle!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Quote from: nexus73 on September 18, 2011, 01:19:19 PM
Chris, see that "Valley Hospice" (that's what it looks to be saying) sign?  Remember when we had those white pointing signs with thin black outlines all over Oregon?  It's been a long time since I have seen one.

There are a quite a few of these around Salem still, but you have to drive back streets to see them.

agentsteel53

seriously?  you can still find the white guide signs in Oregon?  I didn't know any survived.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

They don't have the classic look of that Grants Pass photo, but they're pretty common here in Salem, and I'm thinking I've seen some in other nearby towns and cities, too.  Usually they indicate the locations of churches or parks, not nearby cities.

You said "in Oregon"; are they still common anywhere else?  Seems like they'd be pretty retro anywhere.

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on September 18, 2011, 08:15:53 PMUsually they indicate the locations of churches or parks, not nearby cities.

You said "in Oregon"; are they still common anywhere else?  Seems like they'd be pretty retro anywhere.

yep, churches and parks tend to have white signs in a lot of places, while for general-purpose use they are quite rare.  North Carolina is the last holdout to use white signs for distances and directions.  Elsewhere, a white destination sign is really quite the find.

7-48
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

The wide shield in the OP would look better if the legend was Series C and a little lower.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Quillz on September 20, 2011, 04:13:11 AM
The wide shield in the OP would look better if the legend was Series C and a little lower.
They probably would have used Series C if the route number didn't have a "1" in it.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.