News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Directions for old US 99 no longer Available

Started by 707, July 16, 2012, 05:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have tried to compile a set of directions for the now defunct US 99. So far, I only have southbound available. If there are any mistakes with the directions and history, please let me know so I can change it. The directions are available here: https://sites.google.com/site/coolguysclubseattle/us-route-99 EDIT: I regret to inform everyone that the directions will be no longer available, as they are being further developed into a book which is under the working title of The Guide to Historic US 99. If there is anything I should know about US 99, please don't hesitate to tell me, so it can be included in the book.

Alps

Having turn by turn directions does not make a book. It's all of the added stuff - sights along the way, history of the road, stories from people who live in the small towns, etc. I would urge you to reconsider and leave just the bare-bones turn details posted, as that is something of particular interest to us who try to trace the route. (I will be doing that next year, for example, although mostly on the current SR 99 alignments.)

kkt

Quote from: 707 on July 23, 2012, 06:58:22 PM
I regret to inform everyone that the directions will be no longer available, as they are being further developed into a book which is under the working title of The Guide to Historic US 99. If there is anything I should know about US 99, please don't hesitate to tell me, so it can be included in the book.

So we should do your research for you, you will not share it on your web site but you hope to make a profit from the resulting book?  Do I have that right?

No you don't have that right. What I meant to say was, yes, the book is going to offer more than just directions (such as cool attractions, stopovers, restaurants, etc. Steve was right in saying that it shouldn't be directions only and it won't), and I'm doing research with a friend of mine, but if there was anything you wanted me to add, just tell me, that's all. The directions were free, but with a payware book in the works, my business partner said it wouldn't be a good idea to have the free directions still lying around. The book is aimed to be focused mainly on the route as it was around 1926, but will include special "appendixes" that list the later allignments. I originally posted this thread before someone gave me the idea to make a book, thinking all that would ever be made were the free directions. Sorry for the confusion.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.