News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Last Oregon Eagle Shield gone

Started by xonhulu, May 05, 2013, 11:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I went through Redmond yesterday and was saddened to see where this last remaining old state route shield once stood:

there's now only this:

It looks like the city replaced a section of sidewalk, and given it's still taped-off, pretty recently.  I think there was also a tree growing there that was taken out, possibly because it was what damamged the sidewalk in the first place.  But I guess someone also noticed the old shield and removed it from the utility pole.

As I said, sad to see.  As far as I know, with the removal of the Eugene OR 126 eagle shield last year, this had been the last eagle anywhere in Oregon.  I've been pretty much everywhere on Oregon's state highway network the last few years, so if there are any others still posted, they're not on the mainline of a state route but some more obscure side road.

I didn't see much else of road interest on this trip.  OR 361 and OR 370 are still unsigned, OR 293 is still poorly-signed, and the "OR 20" sign goof in Sisters is still there.

Scott5114

Do they get any points for attempting a 1948 oversize marker?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

Boo!  Hiss!  Bring back the eagle ODOT!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

damn!  I was there in December and spotted the shield.

indeed, the eagle would work quite well on a black-square design. 

Michael Summa made this mockup years ago:

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I recall last summer seeing an old eagle-style cutout on OR-42, somewhere not far from its western terminus at US-101. I believe it was on private property, so it might have just been a reproduction someone put on their front yard.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on July 03, 2013, 09:05:40 AM
I recall last summer seeing an old eagle-style cutout on OR-42, somewhere not far from its western terminus at US-101. I believe it was on private property, so it might have just been a reproduction someone put on their front yard.

do you have a photo?

might be an original sign which someone had harvested.

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Quote from: Quillz on July 03, 2013, 09:05:40 AM

No old 42's are here on 42.  Now if this was back in the day you would have seen a larger than normal 42 with eagle as you got off 101 heading to Coquille and Roseburg.  There was also a larger than normal 101 in North Bend as the highway flow went from Virginia to Tremont.  101 got rerouted in our city back in 1947 while the 101 bypass to Bandon (completed in 1961) resulted in no more 101 to Coquille and Bandon.  Really Big Signs made sure everyone knew where they were going I guess...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

Oregon always loved their large cutouts.  16x16/18x18, 24x24, and 36x36 have been standard since the 40s. 

somewhere I have a photo of a 36x36 OREGON US 99W with cateyes, taken in 1943.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.