News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

1995hoo

View out the kitchen window about five minutes ago. This is what I view as "nuisance snow" –just enough to cause some people to panic when they drive, but not enough to amount to anything.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Roadgeekteen

I has been constantly very cold over the past few days and I hate it :-(.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 30, 2017, 04:59:26 PM
Quote from: wxfree on December 30, 2017, 04:34:08 PM
cold

Wow! Really! I thought it was just me.

Now: 13°
Tomorrow: 5° at 8 AM (low), 11° at 3 PM (high)
3° at start of new year
-2° from 4 AM to 8 AM on January 1 (low)
9° at 3 PM on January 1 (high)
-2° at 5 AM on January 2 (low)
Constant 10°-12° from 2 PM January 2 to 9 AM January 3
And then it warms up from there.
However:
-8° on January 6 from 5 AM to 8 AM.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on December 30, 2017, 05:07:15 PM
cold
3° at start of new year
However:

On a related note, the thermometer stuck to my window says it's currently 0°F. No idea if that's accurate or not.

wxfree

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 30, 2017, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 30, 2017, 05:07:15 PM
cold
3° at start of new year
However:

On a related note, the thermometer stuck to my window says it's currently 0°F. No idea if that's accurate or not.

That reminds me of a joke, I think by Ron White (a Texan).  He was on the road somewhere cold.  The thermometer said zero on a really cold day when his wife asked him what the temperature was.  He told her "there isn't one."
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wxfree on December 30, 2017, 05:29:53 PM
That reminds me of a joke, I think by Ron White (a Texan).  He was on the road somewhere cold.  The thermometer said zero on a really cold day when his wife asked him what the temperature was.  He told her "there isn't one."

Certainly sounds like a Ron White joke. :D

allniter89

Here in the NW FL panhandle we're going into the deep freeze!
Our high temp today (12/30)was 61°, we will not see 61° again for 9 days :wow:.
Our overnight lows will range 20°-29°. Our aver Jan temps are 62°-37°.

Every yr we have cold temps but usually only for a few days & then it warms up again. IIRC this is the same weather situation that brought us an ice storm in 2014. The setup for that was rain before the cold then the cold moved in before the rain moved out=ice. The roads were closed for 3 days in 2014. Neighboring Escambia County, Pensacola, FL bought a couple of sand trucks for"next time".. I've lived here 37 yrs & thats the 1st ice storm to shut everything down, at least they'll be ready in for the storm of 2091 :-D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Hurricane Rex

Today's update: Last 3 days were windy and rainy here, 1.4 inches of rain and gusts up to 50. Child's play compared to the midwest. It's going to be dry the next couple of days so next update will probably be Wednesday.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ftballfan

It's cold in Michigan!

Muskegon received 15" of snow on Friday while Traverse City got over 20" of snow yesterday.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jakeroot on December 29, 2017, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM
First snow last night dumped about an inch, second round is on the way today with another 2-4 inches. Then back into the deep freeze for New Years. There's hints of a possible blockage in the upper air pattern on long range forecasts that could prevent the arctic air from retreating much, hopefully that does not come true. Chiberia lives!

Just looked at the forecast for Chicago. Does it normally get below freezing for 2+ weeks during the winter? I understand that Chicago is prone to well-below-freezing temperatures, but for that long seems unusual.

FWIW, I'd take that over 40 and rain, which is what I'm getting plenty of in Seattle.

I know it's 2 days later, but then again, that doesn't change anything with this long of a cold spell!  It definitely is unusual for cold snaps of this severity to last this long.  We're in the middle of an 11-day streak of temperatures that don't increase above 15 degrees.  Very abrupt when the highs didn't dip below freezing at all until Christmas Eve.  Winter's intensity arrived in a matter that was super sudden for us in Chicagoland.  Our high tomorrow isn't supposed to get above 1 degree F.  What the hell, we had really mild winters the past 2 years!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

1995hoo

Our little beggar was not deterred by a dusting of snow last night. I guess hunger trumps cold!

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

While most of the USA is well below normal, my area is above. 8°C (46°F) as 2018 starts.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Eth

It's cloudy and 26°F here at 1:30 in the afternoon, which is simply unnatural. I'm not sure what the record coldest high temperature is for New Year's Day, but the forecast high of 30 has to be a contender. The average high this time of year is about 51, but we're not projected to get above 40 until Sunday.

1995hoo

jakeroot

A sunny, but cold start to 2018 for Seattle. Upper 30's though, so not deathly cold like other northern areas.

Roadgeekteen

Desert Man

On New Years day 2018, highs reach near 80f and lows in the 50s (52-55f), lots of sun and definitely not below zero degrees fahrenheit just like at New York City last night.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 01, 2018, 09:58:10 PM
It is very cold in Oklahoma City.

Correction: it is very cold. (Because, unlike a few here, I can't state the obvious enough: :ded:) (DAILY WEATHER UPDATE!)

ET21

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 02, 2018, 01:33:48 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 01, 2018, 09:58:10 PM
It is very cold in Oklahoma City.

Correction: it is very cold. (Because, unlike a few here, I can't state the obvious enough: :ded:) (DAILY WEATHER UPDATE!)

:-D :-D :-D
We were one degree off the record low yesterday of -10, had -9. But it was a top 5 coldest New Years on record for O'Hare
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2018, 02:00:55 PM

The above sounds nice and warm right now (recognizing that yesterday's screenshot was from mid-afternoon): As of 9:30 this morning, the "Feels Like" says 3°.

Mccojm

where I'm at on Long Island, ny it's currently partly sunny 22*F real feel of 7*F and winter storm watch in affect for Thursday. At least real feel is in single digit instead of below zero like it's been for seemingly a week now.  Can't wait for bitter cold to go away
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.