News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 29, 2022, 07:39:38 AM
The at-grade on US 209 at Schafers Schoolhouse Rd is planned to become a RIRO at some point.

Other Friday News:

(For I-80, US 220, and PA 26)  PennDOT - District 2 News: PennDOT Issues Start-of-November Update for Local Interchange Project

I never understood why anyway those at grades were there in the first place.  It's a road between two freeways, it should also be freeway as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

^If I remember correctly, District 5 was trying to close the intersection completely back in 2016, but it did not go through due to heavy opposition.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

sbeaver44

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 04, 2022, 12:57:04 PM
PennDOT - District 4 News: PennDOT Resumes Environmental Reviews for I-81 Susquehanna Bridges Project

(For US 11, PA 307, and the President Biden Expressway) PennDOT Announces Online Plans Displays for the SR 3023 (Cedar Ave) Section D50, over Roaring Brook Bridge Rehabilitation, SR 8025 Section 250, over Roaring Brook Bridge Rehabilitation, and SR 8025 Section PRS, over Ramp D in the City of Scranton, Lackawanna County

(For US 119)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Traffic Alert - US 119 Ramp Closure for Repairs

PennDOT - District 8 News: Repairs Planned on SB I-83 John Harris Memorial (South) Bridge

CE Expert System Links:

September 30, 2022:
US 6/US 209 Bridge over Delaware River

QuoteBridge rehabilitation on State Route 6 (Pike Street) over the Delaware River in Matamoras Borough, Pike County. The existing structure is a two-span steel thru truss bridge built in 1939. Existing bridge deck will be replaced with a reinforced concrete deck. Other work activities consist of blast clean and painting of truss members, structural steel repairs, steel member repair, concrete substructure repairs, open grid deck replacement and approach milling and paving. Full depth roadway pavement reconstruction will be limited to the immediate bridge approaches only, where grade adjustments will be needed for the new bridge deck. New guide rail, signing, and pavement markings will also be provided throughout the project limits. The majority of the bridge work can be accomplished from the approaches within existing legal right-of-way. The need for new ROW acquisition is being evaluated. Temporary construction easements will be provided, as necessary, for construction access or to accommodate erosion and sedimentation control measures.

I-83 SB at PA 238 (Exit 24) Offramp

QuoteThe project includes widening of the Exit 24 South Bound Ramp of I-83 to create a separate right turn lane for traffic turning onto westbound Church Road (S.R. 0238) to reduce congestion. The project is located in Manchester Township, York County. The project will also include traffic signal improvements to both the signal at the ramp intersection with Church Road and at the Church Road/Board Road/Exit 24 northbound ramp intersection. A retaining wall is proposed west of the ramp to limit the cut slope. The ramp will be closed during construction and traffic will be detoured.

October 3, 2022:

PA 403 between US 219 and PA 985
That PA 238 interchange is woefully substandard.  I agree that right turn lane needs to exist.

sbeaver44

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 10, 2022, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2022, 03:29:31 PM
What is with the milemarkers on US 30?  Around Lancaster, they stop at 270.6 at the end of the freeway.  About 17 miles later, the Downingtown/Coatesvill bypass begins a milemarker 267.3, which not only doesn't include the surface mileage, but actually goes down.  WTF?

What makes this especially interesting is that the Lancaster ones aren't quite right either, assuming I was at my usual levels of accuracy in measuring the route when I did the photo page for my site.  My measured mileage is about two miles lower than the posted markers, which is a greater divergence than I would expect from measurement error.

This has been an ongoing discussion.  I want to think that the new US 22 mile markers in Perry and Dauphin Counties on the freeway northwest of Harrisburg are accurate unlike the previous ones near the I-81 interchange.

Also US 30 has recently been realigned east of the WV/PA Border (https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6179) though I am unsure if that means anything here.
They had better be accurate!  A few years ago I wrote Penndot District 8 asking why they were 200.0 from I-81 which seemed awfully convenient.  They said next time they replace them they'll be correct.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 10, 2022, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2022, 03:29:31 PM
What is with the milemarkers on US 30?  Around Lancaster, they stop at 270.6 at the end of the freeway.  About 17 miles later, the Downingtown/Coatesvill bypass begins a milemarker 267.3, which not only doesn't include the surface mileage, but actually goes down.  WTF?

What makes this especially interesting is that the Lancaster ones aren't quite right either, assuming I was at my usual levels of accuracy in measuring the route when I did the photo page for my site.  My measured mileage is about two miles lower than the posted markers, which is a greater divergence than I would expect from measurement error.

This has been an ongoing discussion.  I want to think that the new US 22 mile markers in Perry and Dauphin Counties on the freeway northwest of Harrisburg are accurate unlike the previous ones near the I-81 interchange.

Also US 30 has recently been realigned east of the WV/PA Border (https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6179) though I am unsure if that means anything here.

The realigned portion is a half-mile long and straightens a couple curves. The actual difference in distance is less than 0.1-mile, so any impact on statewide mileage is negligible.

roadman65

I noticed that PennDOT recently reconfigured the US 1 and PA 132 cloverleaf interchange in Trevose  into a folded diamond exchange.  Also The Red Roof Inn had it's driveway moved from US 1 to PA 132. 

https://goo.gl/maps/utdWearQ1sCuX6W37
This sign assembly really sucks.  Not so much Sesame Place is a theme park, but two panels for one exit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2022, 04:59:39 PM
I noticed that PennDOT recently reconfigured the US 1 and PA 132 cloverleaf interchange in Trevose  into a folded diamond exchange.  Also The Red Roof Inn had it's driveway moved from US 1 to PA 132. 

https://goo.gl/maps/utdWearQ1sCuX6W37
This sign assembly really sucks.  Not so much Sesame Place is a theme park, but two panels for one exit.

Before the auxiliary lane was added, the sign on the left was the only sign, with the "Oxford Valley" control city being above a dividing line. The newer EXIT ONLY sign on the right was added in 2018 when the auxiliary lane was completed, but I don't know why they didn't just keep Sesame Place on the main exit sign.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For PA 997)  PennDOT - District 8 News: Bridge Replacement Project Begins Next Week on Mont Alto Road (Route 2031) in Guilford Township, Franklin County

QuoteThe project also includes replacing the existing single span concrete slab bridge on Route 997 spanning the West Branch of Antietam Creek in Quincy Township with a precast reinforced concrete box culvert. This work is expected to begin next spring.

Looking at ECMS, SR 2031 will be part of the detour route for PA 997 in the spring.

PennDOT - Statewide News: Gov. Wolf Highlights Significant Infrastructure Investments in First Year of Bipartisan Infrastructure Law

PennDOT - District 6 News:  Paving, Bridge Repair Scheduled at Night Next Week on I-95, I-476 Ramp in Delaware County

(For I-80)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Roadwork Continues on I-80 EB/WB in Columbia County

(For PA 286)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Traffic Alert for Oakland Avenue in Indiana County

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For PA 32)  PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT Completes Route 32 (River Road) Bridge Repair, Reopens Highway Over Ridge Creek in Tinicum Township, Bucks County

PennDOT - District 8 News: Latimore Valley Road (Route 1005) Bridge in Latimore Township, Adams County, is Open to Traffic

EDIT (11-24-2022):I also want to mention that there is a warehouse currently being built along PA 163 west of I-81.  I went this direction last night to avoid some congestion in Hagerstown, MD.

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.