News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do we do about users who think they’re moderators?

Started by roadman65, January 19, 2024, 07:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Really, I can't believe nobody seems as outraged over a user telling someone to gouge out their frontal lobe as I am. It's only one step short of telling another user to commit suicide in my opinion, because you effectively lose your entire personality by doing that. The only direct response I've gotten to bringing it up was "muh freeze peach" stuff, but I still don't think anyone who does something like that has any business posting here, or at least continuing to post without heavy restrictions. And it's not like Terry Shea has otherwise been a model user. He is flagrantly abusive towards others when he posts here regularly. And from my only interaction with him, he doesn't seem to have the ability to be remorseful or have any sort of introspection about his actions. Others are the only problem according to him. So what's the point of keeping him around? Bias towards former MTR users?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 23, 2024, 05:36:14 PM
Really, I can't believe nobody seems as outraged over a user telling someone to gouge out their frontal lobe as I am. It's only one step short of telling another user to commit suicide in my opinion, because you effectively lose your entire personality by doing that. The only direct response I've gotten to bringing it up was "muh freeze peach" stuff, but I still don't think anyone who does something like that has any business posting here, or at least continuing to post without heavy restrictions. And it's not like Terry Shea has otherwise been a model user. He is flagrantly abusive towards others when he posts here regularly. And from my only interaction with him, he doesn't seem to have the ability to be remorseful or have any sort of introspection about his actions. Others are the only problem according to him. So what's the point of keeping him around? Bias towards former MTR users?

I think most us just don't get outraged over what's posted on a hobby forum.

Molandfreak

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 23, 2024, 07:21:19 PM

Good to know that violent threats to the wellbeing of others are acceptable on a hobby forum.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kphoger

If someone replied to me with "go lie down in front of a freight train" or whatever, I wouldn't be outraged in the least.  People say stuff.  Whatever.  I don't assume that the person actually and literally prefers that I be dead.

( Well, except for Daniel Moraseski, because he actually might. )
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

A member of the road community said a couple times on this forum that I wanted him dead.  I found that odd considering that I never have met said person and all I ever did to offend him was not source credit his page in the way he wanted.  What can you do in those circumstances other than just roll your eyes?

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 23, 2024, 07:44:12 PM

Good to know that violent threats to the wellbeing of others are acceptable on a hobby forum.

A lot of the more hot-headed members of road community are full of empty hyperbole.  Likewise, there is a significant tendency in this hobby to take things way too literally. 

I don't know, I live a real life outside this forum and think that I have a good grasp on what is/isn't an actual threat.  This statement sure doesn't seem to meet the criteria.  Not appropriate sure, nothing more than though.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 23, 2024, 07:56:55 PM

A lot of the more hot-headed members of road community are full of empty hyperbole.  Likewise, there is a significant tendency in this hobby to take things way too literally.

I don't know, I live a real life outside this forum and think that I have a good grasp on what is/isn't an actual threat.  This statement sure doesn't seem to meet the criteria.  Not appropriate sure, nothing more than though.

This, and one should consult at least a few YouTube vids before attempting their own lobotomy. 

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 23, 2024, 07:56:55 PM
^^^

A member of the road community said a couple times on this forum that I wanted him dead.  I found that odd considering that I never have met said person and all I ever did to offend him was not source credit his page in the way he wanted.  What can you do in those circumstances other than just roll your eyes?

Ok, I'll admit I was probably overreacting to that situation. Live and learn, I guess. Mods, feel free to delete this exchange if needed.

Scott5114

This thread has gone beyond serving a useful purpose.

If you see a post you think violates the rules, check the rules and make sure. If it does violate the rules, let us know with the report function. That's all there is to it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.