News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-540 Signage (ATTN AHTD)

Started by US71, February 12, 2014, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

AHTD:

Are you using 2 different vendors for your new signs? I've noticed two different styles of I-540 shields,  Southbound, most have the state name. Northbound, they don't have the state name ("neutered" as we often call them) and also have a taller, narrower sign font.  It seems strange (to me at least) for one direction to use one style of sign and the other direction use a different style.

Southbound

Northbound

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Route markers on overhead signs typically do not contain the state name, whereas ground-mounted route markers typically do. The MUTCD allows the state name to be displayed as an option and ours is to place "Arkansas" on ground-mounted shields.

The northbound photo looks like a new installation and it appears that either a consultant placed the wrong shield on construction plans or the contractor installed the wrong shield.

If you can give us the location of this photo, we'll be able to tell you what happened - and correct the issue!

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. We really appreciate it!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Nate here!

Southbound side looks way better. Also, these shields are huge. Two support posts? Oh.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 12, 2014, 03:24:21 PM
Route markers on overhead signs typically do not contain the state name, whereas ground-mounted route markers typically do. The MUTCD allows the state name to be displayed as an option and ours is to place "Arkansas" on ground-mounted shields.

The northbound photo looks like a new installation and it appears that either a consultant placed the wrong shield on construction plans or the contractor installed the wrong shield.

If you can give us the location of this photo, we'll be able to tell you what happened - and correct the issue!

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. We really appreciate it!

Both photos are new installation.

The photo saying South 540 (top) is on SB I-540 between Grand and Rogers (due to the lane restrictions I had to do a "drive-by" photo since there was no place to safely stop).

The photo saying North 540 (bottom) was taken along NB I-540 just past  the US 271/AR 253 Exit.

M86

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 16, 2014, 02:44:41 AM
http://goo.gl/maps/uKcms

I-540 near Exit 82 in NWA.

I'd forgotten about those. There are 2 or 3 near the Promenade exit. Also smaller than normal size, I think.

AHTD

We are moving away from including the state name on ground-level Interstate route markers. Signs in this area that were installed incorrectly (wrong version of sign) will be removed and replaced with the correct version.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 19, 2014, 05:46:31 PM
We are moving away from including the state name on ground-level Interstate route markers. Signs in this area that were installed incorrectly (wrong version of sign) will be removed and replaced with the correct version.

Guess I better hurry and get more photos ;)

Alps

No! Please continue to include the state name! Texas has just started doing it - it reminds people what state they're in... plus we love it!

agentsteel53

wait, does this mean the state name is only gonna go on shields mounted on green signs??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

You might be an anal roadgeek if...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AHTD

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 19, 2014, 06:53:44 PM
wait, does this mean the state name is only gonna go on shields mounted on green signs??

We haven't been putting state name on overhead (green) signs. We are currently removing from the ground- mounted signs.

M86

Quote from: NE2 on February 19, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
You might be an anal roadgeek if...

I just want consistency.  That's my roadgeek/OCD talking.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 20, 2014, 12:09:27 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 19, 2014, 06:53:44 PM

We haven't been putting state name on overhead (green) signs. We are currently removing from the ground- mounted signs.

To my knowledge AHTD has never used state names on the overheads (I can find no photos in my collection). Oklahoma does, though they are irregular about it.  I know the independent signage in Arkansas is hit & miss, but I know AHTD replaced a lot of signs along I-40 in the last couple years, and many , if not all, of them have the state name.

I'm curious why the change: are the signs that much cheaper to make without the state name?  If this is about shaving a few pennies off the sign budget, why not drop Interstate as well and just have a plain red field in the crown (unless there's a federal regulation which keeps the Interstate designation on the signs) ? 

bugo

WHY?  The state name is helpful for those times you're near a state line, can't remember if you've crossed it or not, and don't know what the speed limit is.  This sounds like a waste of money and an unnecessary change.  Don't tell me it's "legibility issues" because you use that unreadable font Clearview on all your new signs, a font that is hard to read at night, fact.

M86

I'll be in the minority of my fellow road geeks...

I don't care about the state name on Interstate shields... As long as you're consistent about it. 

bugo, Clearview is harder to read at night?  I'm just glad AHTD stopped using all caps on certain signage... That IS harder to read, based on studies.

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 21, 2014, 03:23:17 AM
I'll be in the minority of my fellow road geeks...

I don't care about the state name on Interstate shields... As long as you're consistent about it. 

bugo, Clearview is harder to read at night?  I'm just glad AHTD stopped using all caps on certain signage... That IS harder to read, based on studies.

Most of the signs on 540 were already U/L case, though I noticed on directions they're now using the larger initial letter

bjrush

Is that US 271 newer spec than usual?
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 21, 2014, 06:55:24 PM
Is that US 271 newer spec than usual?

Yes. It's the new Exit signage. The 253 shield looks a little odd to me, but it's still better than the old one.

bjrush

Does AHTD plan to update all of its US shields to the current MUTCD spec?
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 21, 2014, 09:04:19 PM
Does AHTD plan to update all of its US shields to the current MUTCD spec?

Maybe as signs are replaced, such as the new exit signs on I-540 .

US71

M86

Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2014, 04:37:30 PM
Quote from: M86 on February 21, 2014, 03:23:17 AM

Most of the signs on 540 were already U/L case, though I noticed on directions they're now using the larger initial letter

I'm not talking about Interstate signage... I'm talking about this:

http://goo.gl/maps/vsNV4

and

http://goo.gl/maps/mGfJM

and those stupid arrows they use...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.