News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Closest "Mile Markers" on Interstates

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 17, 2020, 05:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

The reason for the quotes in the title is because it isn't a true mile obviously, just a place where mile markers reset.  Where are the closest set of mile markers in the country? 

So sticking with just interstates, meaning where an interstate reaches a mile then immediately crosses a state line and the markers reset to zero, or when a loop auxiliary interstate resets it's mile markers close to the highest marker on the route. 

Honorable mention could be an interstate terminating into another route and the zero post is close to the nearest mile marker on the through route, but I am mainly talking about resetting miles on the same route.

pianocello

Not an Interstate, but US 30 in Ames, IA has mile markers 149 and 150 only a couple hundred feet from each other. When the Iowa DOT built the bypass in the 70s, it shaved almost a mile off the length of the route. I guess they figured it would be easier to have a discontinuity than to replace the ~200 mile markers to the east.

Under the MM 150 (Street view) there's an "AH" sign (for "ahead"), and under MM 149 there's a "BK" for "back". There's evidence of them doing the same thing for US 61 in Blue Grass as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ilpt4u

https://goo.gl/maps/FLH3RXbNySW9MqxU9

On (yet to be signed) I-265 near the Ohio River Bridge, Indiana's final mile marker is in the U-Turn Median before the bridge, MM 12.7. Kentucky's final MM is on the bridge, right over the state line, which is just beyond the Indiana shore of the Ohio, MM 38.9. I say "final"  for both states, as both segments of I-265 count "up"  to the Ohio River Border on the bridge

Not exact, but the Google Maps measure tool puts it at .176 Mile/930 Feet

I think both states should sigh a "KY Mile 39/IN Mile 13"  sign somewhere on the bridge/bridge approach. Even if it isn't exact, it would be neat. That is, assuming Indiana doesn't unify the MMs with Kentucky once I-265 is finally signed over the East End Project area that has been open for a few years now and been approved for I-265 signage for about a year now

jmacswimmer

Not an interstate, but US 15 north in MD passes milepost 38, followed shortly by milepost 0 at the MD/PA line.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

I can't tell how far apart they actually are from Street View, but on I-81, Tennessee has a blue "Mile 75.6" marker in the median just south of the state line and Virginia has a "0.2" marker (or, as WTOP radio insists on saying, a "zero over two" marker), at least on the northbound side anyway, two-tenths of a mile north of the state line. If Wikipedia is accurate, the Tennessee marker should be about 0.06 of a mile south of the state line because I-81 has 75.66 miles in Tennessee.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

keithvh

Going up Independence Pass westward towards Aspen, there's a point where because of a switchback, Mile Marker 63 and Mile Marker 64 are remarkably close to each other.  Probably only 200 feet from each other as the bird flies, though the bird would have to gain more than that in elevation to fly between the two!

Maybe not exactly what the OP was looking for, but it's something I noticed the first time I drove the route several years ago.

(edit: didn't notice the OP mentioned Interstates specifically.  ugh)

CardInLex

Not an Interstate, but US 60 outside of Lexington (right at the castle) goes from MM 0 to MM 13 in just a couple hundred feet.

https://goo.gl/maps/ADvUq8GhUbA38eix7

PurdueBill

I-25 SB CO mile marker 299 and WY mile marker 0 are at virtually the same place (the state line).  I got a few pictures of them together 4 years ago (minus two weeks or so) which is easy using the pullout to get a photo with the Colorful Colorado state line sign.
The 0.00 is the Wyoming mile marker; the 299 is Colorado's. 

Edit: out of order in my files, I found a pic I took the same day (7/30/16) with the state line sign included.

kinupanda

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 18, 2020, 03:17:49 PM
I-91 MP 58 in CT and MP 0 in MA are mere feet from each other. (I'd say less than 20).
Looking at the historical imagery, I wonder what CT's motivation was for adding their mile marker and subsequently removing it a few years later.

PurdueBill

Quote from: kinupanda on July 21, 2020, 01:22:39 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 18, 2020, 03:17:49 PM
I-91 MP 58 in CT and MP 0 in MA are mere feet from each other. (I'd say less than 20).
Looking at the historical imagery, I wonder what CT's motivation was for adding their mile marker and subsequently removing it a few years later.

They might as well have left the older Mile 58 (no shield) mile marker mounted on the light pole in the median if they were going to do that with the enhanced one with shield.  Note that 2019 street view of the southbound side shows the mile 58 marker on the ground, behind the guardrail. 

frankenroad

I-470 around Wheeling WV.  After Ohio MM 6, the  next is WV MM 0.  Often (maybe even usually), 3dis which cross state lines have one continuous set of MMs (and exit numbers).  Not sure why this one does not.  In this case, if you travel west to east, you'll encounter exit numbers in this order:  3, 6, 1, 2.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: frankenroad on July 21, 2020, 01:49:16 PM
I-470 around Wheeling WV.  After Ohio MM 6, the  next is WV MM 0.  Often (maybe even usually), 3dis which cross state lines have one continuous set of MMs (and exit numbers).  Not sure why this one does not.  In this case, if you travel west to east, you'll encounter exit numbers in this order:  3, 6, 1, 2.

Beltways tend not to reset.   I-278 does not.  I-684, well...  :).  However, I can think of several that do: I-195 and I-295 (RI/MA), I-395 (CT/MA), I-295 (DE, NJ, and PA), I-287 (NJ/NY)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CtrlAltDel

On a completely irrelevant sidenote, what's in the red circle? It looks like a bicycle chain hanging from a reflector bolted to a small post.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Super Mateo

QuoteThe reason for the quotes in the title is because it isn't a true mile obviously, just a place where mile markers reset.  Where are the closest set of mile markers in the country?

I've seen two examples of a double reset within five miles:
-I-74 in the Quad Cities, IA/IL, where it goes up to 4 eastbound before starting over.  There's an Exit 3, for example, on both sides of the river.
-I-80 near the IL/IN border, which counts down to zero, has a short stretch with I-80 IL mile markers with an exit at Torrence, then resets again, then counts up from zero.  That's true in either direction.

PurdueBill

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 22, 2020, 03:05:49 AM
On a completely irrelevant sidenote, what's in the red circle? It looks like a bicycle chain hanging from a reflector bolted to a small post.

Yep, bike chain.  Another pic I got, specifically of that...

CO at least allows bikes explicitly on some parts of its part of I-25 but good luck if you break your chain in the middle of nowhere!  (Below, a pic  got of one of the signs alerting people to the possible presence of bikes.  The frontage road was rough gravel--not bike-friendly.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 22, 2020, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 22, 2020, 03:05:49 AM

Yep, bike chain.  Another pic I got, specifically of that...

CO at least allows bikes explicitly on some parts of its part of I-25 but good luck if you break your chain in the middle of nowhere!  (Below, a pic  got of one of the signs alerting people to the possible presence of bikes.  The frontage road was rough gravel--not bike-friendly.)

I see we share the same curiosity. Thanks for the pics.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ctkatz

if I understand the question correctly, at the border of idaho and montana mile 0 of montana is mile 196 of idaho.

PurdueBill

Quote from: ctkatz on July 27, 2020, 06:23:15 AM
if I understand the question correctly, at the border of idaho and montana mile 0 of montana is mile 196 of idaho.

On a particular route?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.