News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 30-C

Started by Mapmikey, July 12, 2019, 10:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

In Jan 1946, the Utah Highway Commission officially requested and received Wyoming endorsement of a US 30-C which would've run from US 30-S Tremonton to US 30-N at Sage Jct WY.  This is mostly UT 30 and US 89 today...

See pg. 55 at the 4th pdf at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17X1urAiDbTddFAvmltIwCxknVDArJhvY

In Aug 1946 this request was modified to change US 30-C to just US 30 which would extend southeast to US 30-S at Granger, and US 30-N would be truncated to this new US 30 at Sage Jct.  Wyoming rejected this request.

See pg. 10 at the 5th pdf at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17X1urAiDbTddFAvmltIwCxknVDArJhvY

US 89

Fascinating. I'd be curious to find out if the states ever got around to proposing this to AASHTO, or if it got hung up at some level of bureaucracy. Seems like the latter, since that would have made a great corridor for a US route (in my opinion, at least).

At the risk of going too far into fictional territory, I still think the entire UT 30/NV 233 corridor would make a perfect 3-digit US route, perhaps with an x30 number.

Mapmikey

Don't know but in 1954 AASHO was asked to make this same corridor  US 330

andy3175

This helps explain how Utah 30 came to be.  I'd wondered whether there was ever an idea of running a branch of US 30 in this corridor.  Your research shows that there was: proposals for US 30, US 30C, and US 330 along the eastern Utah 30 corridor. I wonder if the western branch of Utah 30 leading toward Nevada 233 was ever officially conceived of being part of the US highway system.

Are there any other proposals for a US ###C proposal other than this one, assuming the C means Central and not Connector? The only other comparison seems to be US 70, 70N, and 70S in Tennessee.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Mapmikey

I am not aware of any...

Would be nice to have access to the AASHO minutes from 1927-68.  I bet there are all kinds of rejected items no one seems to be cognizant of now...

US 89

Quote from: andy3175 on July 15, 2019, 11:08:59 AM
This helps explain how Utah 30 came to be.  I'd wondered whether there was ever an idea of running a branch of US 30 in this corridor.  Your research shows that there was: proposals for US 30, US 30C, and US 330 along the eastern Utah 30 corridor. I wonder if the western branch of Utah 30 leading toward Nevada 233 was ever officially conceived of being part of the US highway system.

UT 30 connects at the Nevada border to NV 233, which was numbered NV 30 prior to the 1978 Nevada renumbering. At least on the surface, that was the justification for numbering UT 30 when it was created in 1966 (see page 5 of the UDOT resolutions for SR 30).

But looking a bit deeper, it was somewhat of a strange numbering choice because the entire length of UT 30 from Curlew Junction to Tremonton was concurrent with US 30S. Perhaps by 1966 Utah had gotten frustrated by rejected proposals like US 30C and 330, and decided to simply create their own route 30 out of spite. Reminds me of how WYO 89 got its number because Wyoming was pissed at the routing of US 89 through northern Utah and Idaho.

Rover_0

Very fascinating. I wonder, if Utah were to pursue making the general UT-30 corridor into a US-230 or US-330 (with a little cooperation with Nevada, of course), whether AASHTO would approve it nowadays.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.