News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Post your Christmas light setups here!

Started by Marf, December 20, 2016, 08:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marf

My family did not decorate much, so I don't have anything to offer. Anyways, title.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

jeffandnicole

english si

^^ way to discourage people from posting. No way to compete with that!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

vdeane

You can if you compete on The Great Christmas Light Fight.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Unfortunately, our favorite local display is dark this year because the man is dealing with medical issues. Do a Google image search for "1601 Collingwood Road Christmas lights." He usually took off work the entire month of November to put up the 250,000+ lights.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

I enjoy all light displays...I'll quite often drive around checking out everyone else's lights. So definitely...please post what you all have too!

And I never submit the display to any news stations, light fight or anything! Currently I'll get a few cars on occasion, rarely more than 1 or 2 at a time. It keeps the street quiet and the neighbors happy. After people get their display on the news, next thing they have is lines of traffic. Neighbors can't get to their homes. Traffic snakes out to the main road. The police become unhappy traffic is blocked! Many of these people regret the publicity they seeked out!

It's tough to see in the videos, but I have about 75 blowmolds (the large plastic decorations), 7 trees with 4 different colors on each, 6 light poles with 3 sets of lights each, and 2 colors of icicle lights; 8 sets each, along with other various decor. In total, there's about 150 different elements, nearly all of which are controlled individually via computer.

That also means there's about 150 extension cords laying out there!

BTW, the equipment I use is from www.lightorama.com . People that drive by tune their radio to 90.7, a radio station I'm transmitting from the computer. 2 blocks away and it's all static (and completely legal per the FCC as long as you're meeting certain conditons, especially not broadcasting over existing stations in the area!). Otherwise, it's completely quiet in front of the house.

catch22

english si

I have the most in my town - just shy of 3000 outside. I go for quantity over quality, and while there's a nice red-berries-and-white-normal double spiral in the apple tree, my blue-and-white tree nearer the house just had me getting them somewhat randomly spread out (it's not bad though, just not great).

I'm quite pleased about my 2x400 (a few too many as there were about 100 left over that I ended up just dumping on the blue-and-white tree's trunk as the only place they could go that wasn't just the ground) Multicolour sets converting 3 potted pines into cones of randomly flashing light (I think the sets are on different settings and its far too much faff to access the hidden sockets and push the buttons on the transformer, and they won't sync up anyway). And the normal 800 multicoloured lights that I drap on the wall hugging pear trees to create a wall of light now being 960 stuck on (I can't access that transformer brick without a lot of effort) cycling through the options seems to work well.

I did try and take some pictures last night, but with crappy camera and all the multicolour sets randomly flashing, they really didn't come out well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.