Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

60th Anniversary of a Very Dark Moment in American History

(1/4) > >>

Henry:
Sixty years ago today, President Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a convertible in Dallas. Two days after that, Lee Harvey Oswald would also be assassinated while in jail. I remember my father telling me how he heard of the news when he was a high school senior in Chicago, and even today he still remembers it like it was yesterday, which is one that he'd like to forget but never could.

Does anyone else here (or their parents) have a memory of where they were when this all occurred?

ozarkman417:
My father told me he was on his way to a college Biology class when the news broke. He lived in Illinois at the time.

tmoore952:
I don't know about the presidential assassination wrt my family, but my father told me that he saw Oswald get shot on live TV.

I have seen CBS footage of the Oswald shooting. Harry Reasoner was on the air, reporting on Oswald being transferred out of the police station through the basement, when Ruby unexpectedly did what he did.
(he wasn't shot while in jail, he was being transferred -- in retrospect they (Dallas police) should not have announced that ahead of time)

bulldog1979:
There is an interesting, but minor, road-related connection to the assassination. The Marquette Bypass (for US 41/M-28) was opened to traffic on November 22, 1963. During construction of the expressway, veins of jasper were unearthed, and the local chamber of commerce was giving jewelry with the stone to various dignitaries. A set of jasper cufflinks from Marquette were supposed to be sent to President Kennedy, but he was killed just 90 minutes after the roadway opened.

https://www.miningjournal.net/news/front-page-news/2013/12/at-50-us-41-bypass-still-does-the-job/

catch22:
I was in my 7th grade math class when the principal got on the PA and called all the teachers to the office.  A few minutes later, my teacher returned, visibly shaken, and told us the news.  About 15 minutes later, we were dismissed for the day.  When I got home, my mother asked me why I was home early, and I told her the news.  She almost fainted.

Like many others, I was watching the news coverage pretty much non-stop and got to see Oswald shot on live TV.  Crazy times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version