News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Retroactive clinches?

Started by hbelkins, October 14, 2019, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The recent renumbering of I-680 to I-880 gives me a retroactive clinch of I-880 in Iowa. Years ago, before I was into such things, I was on a trip that involved using I-29 south to I-680 east to I-80 east. Now that it's a separately numbered route, I count it as clinched.

Anyone else ever gotten a route clinch in this manner?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

I call it "clinch in advance", when I've traveled a road before its designation changes. Or even before it opened to the public, as with the new ramps north of Philly completing I-95, which I rode in someone else's car (with PennDOT permission) as part of the Golden Spike road meet.

My only limitation is for a new Interstate, it has to have been at least a freeway when I last drove it, for me to count it once it becomes an Interstate. That's what I did for the east half of I-295 around Jacksonville FL. The upcoming conversion of part of I-680 to I-880 easily qualifies in my book. I-49 in Missouri caused me some heartburn, since I clinched much of it while it was still non-freeway US 71, though I ultimately re-drove it after the freeway conversion.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

I clinch routes, not pavement, so I go back when numbers change...like with I-865...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Eth

I'm reasonably sure I clinched AL 210 before it was signed, though the route did technically already exist.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2019, 04:06:36 PM
The recent renumbering of I-680 to I-880 gives me a retroactive clinch of I-880 in Iowa. Years ago, before I was into such things, I was on a trip that involved using I-29 south to I-680 east to I-80 east. Now that it's a separately numbered route, I count it as clinched.

I-476 as Pa 9 (Pa Turnpike's NE extension) in the late 70s.
I-269 as Tn 385 (SW Memphis) back in 2015
(Technically) I-295 as I-95 around Trenton after the "Golden Spike" meet
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I would say I clinched I-795(NC) (when it was briefly US 117) and the new VA 167 (while it was still under construction) in this regard.  I usually do not worry about new designations if I already drove the road (though I-95 would be an exception in PA in this case because of the long ramps).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LM117

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 14, 2019, 08:06:22 PM
I would say I clinched I-795(NC) (when it was briefly US 117)

Same here. I was living in Fremont at the time, so that made it super easy. :spin:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

formulanone

I picked up all of Interstate 2 this way. It wasn't even signed as a Future Interstate four months before getting the nod from AASHTO.

I-295 around Jacksonville was SR 9A before the I-295 designation was placed upon it.

A few state roads which were upgraded from county routes, but nothing significant comes to mind.

dlsterner

I had an interesting situation during my September 2017 trip to Iceland.  I made a point to drive every mile of Route 1 (The "Ring Road"), clinching it.  But within months after my visit, Route 1 was re-routed in two separate places due to the completion of tunnels which shortened the route.

The first was between Egilsstaðir and Breiðdalsvík, where Route 1 used to take the path now designated as (new) Route 95, but now takes the path formerly Route 92.  I traveled on 95 when it was labeled as 1.

The second was east of Akureyri where Route 1 used to take the path now designated as Routes 83 and 84 (which is what I drove) until it was rerouted through a new tunnel.

Since my philosophy is to clinch asphalt versus clinching a number, I considered myself to having lost a clinch of Route 1, and gained a retroactive clinch of Routes 84 and 95 (83 was not 100% clinched).  The changes were many miles apart so I didn't feel right about keeping the Route 1 clinch.

Oh well.  Guess I'll have to make a return trip to remedy this   :spin:

CNGL-Leudimin

I have this happen several times with some local (3rd tier regional in fact) roads. I've been to two of them since then. And I'm assured it will happen again, as I've done several roads that are set to receive new numbers in the future.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

I clinched 2100 North in Lehi, Utah between Redwood Road and I-15 back in 2017, when it was numbered as part of SR 85. In late 2018, this segment was renumbered to SR 194, which I guess gave me an advance clinch of that route. I have since redriven it.

paulthemapguy

I'd driven the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway before it got numbered IL-390.  Of course, the eastern extension of that route nullifies that clinch pretty much immediately.  I also have the Iowa I-880 clinch...but none of the section now known as I-680 whatsoever LOL.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheHighwayMan3561

I already had a retroactive clinch of MN 62 upon its extension over MN 110 in 2018, also once I had done I-41 north of I-94, I had clinched that route since I already did the 894 and 94 duplexes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cpzilliacus

I-95 in Maine between Portland (Exit 44) and West Gardiner (Exit 103) (all of this is part of the Maine Turnpike).  When I clinched that, the Maine Pike had no public route number (in the style of the New Jersey Turnpike between Exits 1 and 6) between West Gardiner and Portland - now it is I-95.  Originally, what is now I-295 was to be (and was) I-95.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

I have a few examples of this. Eastern I-86 might be the most prominent, as I was first on the section of NY 17 west of Binghamton in 2003. I-295 PA was clinched while it was still I-95. I clinched NY 895 as I-895 and the Niagara Scenic Parkway as the Robert Moses Parkway. It is LIKELY that I clinched I-495 ME while it was designated I-95, though this cannot be confirmed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2019, 12:31:00 AM
I have a few examples of this. Eastern I-86 might be the most prominent, as I was first on the section of NY 17 west of Binghamton in 2003. I-295 PA was clinched while it was still I-95. I clinched NY 895 as I-895 and the Niagara Scenic Parkway as the Robert Moses Parkway. It is LIKELY that I clinched I-495 ME while it was designated I-95, though this cannot be confirmed.

I've been on the entirety of the freeway/expressway from I-90 in Pennsylvania eastward to the Thruway in New York. I've also been on the new freeway bypass that was built to eliminate the at-grades at (name of community in New York forgotten) as part of the meet Adam Moss held a few years ago. If the conversion of the remainder of NY 17 to I-86 consists only of building grade-separated interchanges and not of bypasses/new alignments, I will consider it clinched when it's fully signed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2019, 11:16:08 AM
I've been on the entirety of the freeway/expressway from I-90 in Pennsylvania eastward to the Thruway in New York. I've also been on the new freeway bypass that was built to eliminate the at-grades at (name of community in New York forgotten) as part of the meet Adam Moss held a few years ago. If the conversion of the remainder of NY 17 to I-86 consists only of building grade-separated interchanges and not of bypasses/new alignments, I will consider it clinched when it's fully signed.

Outside of the Hale Eddy at-grade section (which will likely end up being a new alignment if it ever gets built), remaining work is new/upgraded interchanges.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2019, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2019, 11:16:08 AM

Outside of the Hale Eddy at-grade section (which will likely end up being a new alignment if it ever gets built), remaining work is new/upgraded interchanges.
Re: Hale Eddy, from what was posted on the NYSDOT project website before Cuomo halted work on the I-86 conversion, if it was a new alignment, it wasn't far off from where the road is now.  This project had more in common with the one east of Elmira than the one at Parksville.

Re: remaining work, on the project list Rothman posted a ways back, some of the project were described as "upgrade deficient features between", implying that there is some mainline work left to be done.  Given that the Region 8 projects were the most expensive, I suspect that there may be some more reconstruction work similar to what was done near Middletown 10 years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

triplemultiplex

I'm in the "gotta re-clinch it" camp if the number changes.
I also consider a route de-clinched if the alignment was moved significantly, like say a bypass was built.

But for the new 880, as soon as the signs change, I'll have to go drive it again to feel like I have still clinched it.
For this same reason, I consider I-41 to be unclinched as there are segments I haven't driven since the new shields went up, even though I had driven all of the highways it's posted on well before the upgrade.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DandyDan

I don't feel like I have it clinched unless I have been on that road with its current designation. That said, I have what is now I-880 clinched, from back when I lived in Omaha. I also have IA 471 as a retroactive clinch. In Nebraska, I had both the segment of NE 66 from US 6 to US 77 and the segment of NE 59 by Laurel retroactively clinched.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 16, 2019, 11:59:12 AM
I already had a retroactive clinch of MN 62 upon its extension over MN 110 in 2018, also once I had done I-41 north of I-94, I had clinched that route since I already did the 894 and 94 duplexes.
I can claim that one as well. It's possible I could claim all of it and not just the part that used to be MN 110. Of course, I did clinch it after it was reposted. Now that MN 3 goes up to downtown St. Paul, it's possible I could have that one as well, but I don't recall ever being on Robert Street north of Butler in WSP as a kid.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

cpzilliacus

I also clinched all of I-895 in Maryland long before it was signed as I-895 (for many years prior to receiving the I-895 signs, it was signed rather well as TO I-95, at least between present-day Exits 4 (MD-295, exit only open for southbound traffic and entrance for northbound movement) and Exit 14 (Moravia Road) (no exit  northbound).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Interestingly enough I am also about to get a retroactive clinch of I-880 (I don't consider the change official until signs change). In my case it comes from having driven that section of road only two weeks before the change was announced!

If you include unsigned routes, I retroactively clinched CT 790 long before it was added to the state highway system. But I've since reclinched it (it's just a piece of I-95 service road in Stamford) so this one is not purely retroactive.

Numerous other examples of mostly partial but a few full retroactive clinches out there, not going to attempt to list them all.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NWI_Irish96

I have too much new terrain to clinch, I don't have time to re-clinch roads just because they have changed or added a route designation, so I consider the road to be clinched regardless of how designations have changed.  Prime example is I-41, which I clinched when it was US 41 and I-94.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bzakharin

I clinched the DE-NJ-PA I-295 in advance (and of course also at the time, since it was expanded, not shortened), but not since the section that was I-95 became I-295.

cbeach40

It depends on whether the road's character has changed. For example, in Ontario I'd already driven Hwy 17 continuously through Garden River FN. When it was bypassed and the old road renumbered Hwy 17B  I considered myself as needing to drive the new bypass and the portions of 17B tying it into the new alignment that were newly-constructed, but aside from the number the bulk of the road was just the same as it was the last time I was on it.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.