News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by logan230, October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on December 21, 2023, 11:45:41 AM
Unrelated, I drove on the new WV 108 expressway around Bluefield a few days ago. Going from memory, it is signed for Welch and the airport going north. There is a supplemental ground sign advertising WV 108 as an alternate US 52 for through traffic.

The roadway is well-designed and nicely constructed without any dips/bumps. I hope it remains in good shape as the roadway bed in places remained unpaved for years - so it should have had ample time to settle. The four-lane segment ends north of the Christine West Bridge over US 19. It is signed for 55 MPH throughout, although the four-lane segments of WV 108 and US 52 could be signed for 65 MPH very easily.

There is an obvious stub for a roadway extension north of WV 123 (Airport Road).

Google Maps incorrectly lists this as US 52. It's not listed on Apple Maps.

Is the two-lane segment on a four-lane right of way?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Yes - just like the other segments closer to Twisted Gun Gap and Gilbert, the second carriageway is graded.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wboy.com/news/monongalia/54-million-going-to-i-79-chaplin-hill-road-project-at-wvu-exit/

$54 million going to I-79/Chaplin Hill Road project at WVU exit

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (WBOY) — Funding has been secured to repair and add to exit 155 on Interstate 79 in Morgantown, Sen. Joe Manchin's office announced Friday.

The exit is the main access point from I-79 to Granville, Star City and West Virginia University, including Milan Puskar Stadium and the Coliseum.

According to the release, the project will include:

• Replacing the I-79 bridges of Chaplin Hill Road
  • Reconstructing the exit 155 interchange
  • Reconstructing the westbound I-79 flyover
  • Building a pedestrian and bicycle connection between the Star City bridge and the regional rail-to-trail network
A total of $54,320,000 from the U.S. Department of Transportation will go to the Monongalia County Commission for the project.

In the release, Manchin said that the investment, which is through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, will help create jobs in the area and make travel local travel safer.

"When we make smart investments in our roadways that hard-working West Virginians and small businesses rely on, we are building a better future for the state," Manchin said.

In a separate release, Sen. Shelley Moore Capito said that the upgrade will "make a transformational difference" in traffic for those who commute to and from Morgantown.

The Chaplin Hill Gateway Project will help improve traffic, increase safety, and upgrade core transportation infrastructure in Monongalia County. For all those who live and work in the area, as well as those traveling through, this funding will make a transformational difference and I'm excited for this project to move forward," Capito said in a release from her office.

A timeline for the project was not mentioned in the release.

Back in March, $2 million for the project was secured through the Congressionally Directed Spending process.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 23, 2023, 02:52:36 AM
https://www.wboy.com/news/monongalia/54-million-going-to-i-79-chaplin-hill-road-project-at-wvu-exit/

$54 million going to I-79/Chaplin Hill Road project at WVU exit

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (WBOY) — Funding has been secured to repair and add to exit 155 on Interstate 79 in Morgantown, Sen. Joe Manchin's office announced Friday.

The exit is the main access point from I-79 to Granville, Star City and West Virginia University, including Milan Puskar Stadium and the Coliseum.

According to the release, the project will include:

• Replacing the I-79 bridges of Chaplin Hill Road
  • Reconstructing the exit 155 interchange
  • Reconstructing the westbound I-79 flyover
  • Building a pedestrian and bicycle connection between the Star City bridge and the regional rail-to-trail network
A total of $54,320,000 from the U.S. Department of Transportation will go to the Monongalia County Commission for the project.

In the release, Manchin said that the investment, which is through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, will help create jobs in the area and make travel local travel safer.

"When we make smart investments in our roadways that hard-working West Virginians and small businesses rely on, we are building a better future for the state," Manchin said.

In a separate release, Sen. Shelley Moore Capito said that the upgrade will "make a transformational difference" in traffic for those who commute to and from Morgantown.

The Chaplin Hill Gateway Project will help improve traffic, increase safety, and upgrade core transportation infrastructure in Monongalia County. For all those who live and work in the area, as well as those traveling through, this funding will make a transformational difference and I'm excited for this project to move forward," Capito said in a release from her office.

A timeline for the project was not mentioned in the release.

Back in March, $2 million for the project was secured through the Congressionally Directed Spending process.

This project has been bandied about in some form for several years. Exit 155 is the main way in to northern Morgantown. The existing interchange is biased to traffic to/from the east (from Morgantown), but it's been struggling as more development has occurred west of the interchange. The stop-sign controlled offramps often have long queues during AM and PM rush.

The current plan is a diverging diamond for the interchange with I-79 itself and building a westbound flyover to eliminate the signal where US 19/WV 7 split off just east of the interchange. Chaplin Hill Road is also to be relocated west of the interchange, connecting to the 4-lane stub in the WestRidge development and then being rebuilt on top of the existing Martin Hollow Road.

edwaleni

seicer

Major streetscape and traffic calming improvements proposed for WV 210 and Minnesota Ave. in the vicinity of WVU Tech in Beckley:

WVU Tech Campus Corridor Project

Join us on February 1, 2024, at Beckley City Hall for a public meeting to discuss the proposed WVU Tech Campus Corridor Project. Representatives from the West Virginia Division of Highways(WVDOH) and Federal Highway Administration(FHWA) will be available between 4 and 7 p.m. to discuss the proposed project and answer your questions.

The project involves traffic flow and streetscape improvements to South Kanawha Street (WV 210). The project consists of converting Minnesota Avenue to a one-way road and South Kanawha Street to a one-way road between Beaver Avenue/Johnstown Road and McCreery Street. Minnesota Avenue will also be extended to connect at Beaver Avenue. To improve traffic flow, roundabouts will be constructed at the intersections of WV 210 and McCreery Avenue and South Kanawha Street/WV 210 and Beaver Avenue.

--

I'm not as certain about converting WV 210 to one-way (toward downtown) from Church Street and McCreery Street.

WV 131 Benedum Drive Widening Project

The West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways (WVDOH) is seeking input on their project to widen a portion of West Virginia (WV) 131 (Benedum Drive) Bridgeport. The project consists of widening of WV 131 (Benedum Drive) Bridgeport from its junction with US 50 north to a point approximately 0.3 miles south of its junction with Interstate 79 (I-79). Approximately 3.12 miles of roadway will be widened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.