New York City as a control city and other important control citys in MA on I-95

Started by A00234826, May 07, 2014, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: A00234826 on June 07, 2014, 11:30:56 AM
I agree also I seen signs on I-80 as far as Ohio turnpike (I-80 East New York City) when it leave the turnpike
I suggest in that aria for long distance travel (I-80 East  Youngstown, New York-New England) (I-76 East Pitsburg, Philadelphia, Washington DC)

I-80 doesn't go into New England, and a lot more people will use I-80 in New Jersey than you think that would make sense signing it over NYC until after Paterson and it approaches the NJ Turnpike...

Also, I-76 to Washington DC?

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

A00234826

For people heading from New England NY, to LA southern California aria I think St Louis is the mid point, for many drivers especially for snowbirds
I suggest for  snowbirds (just like I-95 nb before Washington DC)on the side on I-44  northbound a few Exits before I-55 (New York, New England use I-55 north I-70 East). and on I-55 southbound before I-44 (I-44 Tulsa, Los Angeles) (I-55 south Menphis, New Orleans) and on I-55 nb before the split (I-55 north Springfield, Chicago) (I-70 east Indianapolis, New York-New England)
on I-70 I-55 south and westbound before the Mississippi river I suggest for long distance travelers (I-70 west Kansas City, Denver) (I-55 south to I-44 Tulsa, Los Angeles)

Also in New Station PA were I-70 joins PA turnpike since Philadelphia and NY city are big city's for western PAs control city's  i suggest (I-70 east I-76 PA turnpike Harrisburg, Philadelphia) and a sign before the jct on I-70 east (New York City New England use PA turnpike East)

further East when I-70 leaves PA turnpike for MD I know it saids (I-70 east Balitmore, Washington DC) to counter that I suggest that (I-76 PA turnpike Philadelphia, New York, New England)

JakeFromNewEngland

Honestly, I don't think many people from St. Louis and LA are going to drive to NYC and vice versa so it's pretty useless to even sign them..
Second, I-76 goes nowhere near New England or NYC. Sure you can use other highways (I-95 for example), but I-76 is not a direct route.

Zeffy

Okay, I get it, NYC is a huge major city. So is Chicago, and so is many others. You do NOT need to sign EVERY route that leads to NYC and New England. Signing I-55 North for NYC? That's over a thousand miles away!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

amroad17

My opinion only...

I would like to see New York listed on at least one BGS at the I-81/I-84 interchange both NB and SB in Scranton, the I-81/80 interchange NB near Hazleton, and the aforementioned I-81/78 NB interchange north of Harrisburg.  These interchanges are not too far from New York plus these highways would be the most direct routes there from northeastern and central Pennsylvania, in case someone would be interested in visiting "The Big Apple."

I like the listing of major cities that are considered "long-distance" such as Memphis on the southside of Chicago, Tulsa outside of St. Louis, and Los Angeles and Albuquerque in Flagstaff along with the New York in Youngstown, OH.  I would like to see a supplemental BGS on I-75/71 SB listing Nashville and St. Louis for exit 173.  But this is just my personal preference.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mrsman

Quote from: amroad17 on June 07, 2014, 06:44:17 PM
My opinion only...

I would like to see New York listed on at least one BGS at the I-81/I-84 interchange both NB and SB in Scranton, the I-81/80 interchange NB near Hazleton, and the aforementioned I-81/78 NB interchange north of Harrisburg.  These interchanges are not too far from New York plus these highways would be the most direct routes there from northeastern and central Pennsylvania, in case someone would be interested in visiting "The Big Apple."

I like the listing of major cities that are considered "long-distance" such as Memphis on the southside of Chicago, Tulsa outside of St. Louis, and Los Angeles and Albuquerque in Flagstaff along with the New York in Youngstown, OH.  I would like to see a supplemental BGS on I-75/71 SB listing Nashville and St. Louis for exit 173.  But this is just my personal preference.

I generally agree.  I believe that control cities should be fairly large cities that most people have heard of.  Generally, this is done in the Midwest, where the control cities all tend to be fairly large and on 2dis they rarely make suburbs into control cities.

Another option is to use two control cities: one local and one long distance.  The I-95/I-85 split in Virginia does this nicely, by mentioning Atlanta and Miami as secondary controls, the sign allows long-distance drivers to know where they are going, while still providing useful controls for the nearby local cities.

A00234826

Quote from: Jake2000 on June 07, 2014, 12:01:42 PM
Honestly, I don't think many people from St. Louis and LA are going to drive to NYC and vice versa so it's pretty useless to even sign them..
Second, I-76 goes nowhere near New England or NYC. Sure you can use other highways (I-95 for example), but I-76 is not a direct route.

Its important for snowbirds especially coming home from California to know how to get to New York and New England and vice versa.   (ps signs for (NJ-NY use I-95 north) as far as south of DC and (I-95 south Miami) south of Richmend are important for snowbirds heading from New England to Florida or vice versa) 

I think in St Louis aria since that city is a midpoint for cross country traffic heading from New England or NY to Disneyland CA or other places in the southwest, or just west

thats why I suggest at the Mississippi river bridge on I-70 WB before I-55 south leaves (I-70 west Kansas City, Denver) AND (I-55 south to I-44 Tulsa, Los Angelas) then at I-44 jct (I-44 west Tulsa, Los Angelas) (I-55 south Menthis, New Orlines)

the opposide side on I-44 before it ends (I-55 north to I-70 Chicago New York)
then when I-55 and I-70 leave for Mississippi river (I-55 North I-70 East I-64 East US-40 East, Chicago, New York)

then when I-70 leaves I-55 and heads east  (I-70 East Indianapolis, New York)

as for the 2nd comment Im just directing traffic from southern OH and Wheeling WV the route to NY city since I-70 is a major cross country route for example at the New Station toll plaza (I-70 east I-76 PA turnpike Philadelphia, New York) since Phillidephia is the next largest city.  and on oppisite direction I suggest about 1 1/2 mile before Exit 75  a sign saying (St Louis, Denver, Los Angelas use I-70 west Exit 75)

further east when I-76 leaves for Philadelphia (I-276 PA turnpike east to NJ turnpike NJ-NY, New England) since I-276 ends and snowbirds can take NJ turnpike north to the GW bridge to get to New England

hbelkins

How many snowbirds from New England are going to drive to California?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

shadyjay

The ideas being tossed around here by the OP, of far distant control cities, is absolutely ridiculous.  Perhaps we should put Chicago and Seattle on the pullthroughs on the Mass Pike in Boston.  After all, I-90 does go all the way across country and people need to know how to get there. 

Or we should put Miami as a control city on I-95 in Houlton, ME.

I-91 needs a "Canada" control city in New Haven.

There's no need for any of this.  Any l-d traveler is going to grab a map or print out directions to where they're traveling if over a thousand miles.  And as we've figured out earlier, I-95 isn't the best route to NYC from NH or ME, and no posting of control cities isn't going to change that.

roadman65

Quote from: shadyjay on June 14, 2014, 10:01:27 AM
The ideas being tossed around here by the OP, of far distant control cities, is absolutely ridiculous.  Perhaps we should put Chicago and Seattle on the pullthroughs on the Mass Pike in Boston.  After all, I-90 does go all the way across country and people need to know how to get there. 

Or we should put Miami as a control city on I-95 in Houlton, ME.

I-91 needs a "Canada" control city in New Haven.

There's no need for any of this.  Any l-d traveler is going to grab a map or print out directions to where they're traveling if over a thousand miles.  And as we've figured out earlier, I-95 isn't the best route to NYC from NH or ME, and no posting of control cities isn't going to change that.
Memphis is being used from as far north as Chicago on I-57 SB that is a road that does not even go there where you have to pass through many other decent size cities en route to.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I never really understood the use of Memphis on I-57. I can possibly see Missouri not wanting to use Champaign, but I'm surprised Illinois doesn't. I can also see not using Effingham or Mt. Vernon, but other states would use them since they are major interstate crossroads.

So, where else is it most logical for you to exit off the road you're on for another road that is signed for that destination, when both take you to the same place? The control city for I-57 north from I-55 is Chicago, yet, I-55 goes to Chicago as well.

I remember we had a thread about better routes (I was surprised to hear that a shorter route from Charleston, WV to Erie, PA is 77-271-90 vs. 79) but where else is it signed other than here?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.